Tango Argentino > Reasons to quit tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Captain Jep, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Accentuate the positive accentuate the positive ... :)

Which area are we talking about? (roughly.. )

I'd get yourself off to a decent weekender as soon as you can!!

ps It does help to be part of the crowd ;)

2. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

LOL! I know, I just feel like being a moaning old crone at the moment!!

Part of the crowd... yeah, I know, hmmm, sort of...

Decent weekenders - yeah, I guess so, weekends aren't always so easy...

Ignore my rantings!

3. LittleLight

LittleLight New Member

For me the thing most likely to make me quit (and I think it goes under reason 14 from the original link) is that I constantly have to fight my own insecurities. Unfortunately, I am quite an insecure person. So, if someone good asks me to dance they are obviously doing so out of charity but if no one good asks me to dance it is because I'm no good. :(

I actually don't even mind embarassing myself and I'm usually the first person on the dancefloor, not caring and having fun, in a situation where I can dance by myself. But I do really mind being the cause of someone else's embarassment and part of me is often afraid partners are not enjoying the dance. I often find myself avoiding catching a good dancer's eye to spare him the awkardness of having to avoid or reject me. Rationally, I know I'm really not all that bad, but I keep having to tell myself and that gets old.

Having said that, it is also a good reason to keep going as overcoming these insecurities (as I occasionally and, happily, increasingly frequently, do manage to do) does me good not only in tango but in life as well.

4. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

If a good dancer asks you to dance, it's because he wishes to, for whatever reason, but it's his choice to ask or not ask. If he's a good dancer, he can give you a dance that will not cause him any embarrassment. But I think you already know all that.

Many times the only difference between a good dancer and a poor dancer is their own level of confidence. A good follower can do something unexpected and just think, "That's the move I made, what's next?" A poor follower might do the exact same movement, but then apologize for it.

My clarinet teacher used to tell me, if I was going to make a mistake, make it loud. A skillful dance done timidly is still a timid dance. I would prefer to get a confident dance from my partner, even including some surprises, than a timid dance.

5. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

It might help you to take some private lessons with someone that will give you honest feedback about your strengths and weaknesses. Praise from a teacher you respect will go a long way towards boosting your confidence. But it needs to be specific so that you know they aren't just flattering you to get you to take more lessons.

I took a series of privates with someone and told him that what I wanted to get out of them was to be able to follow better and more quickly with a new person rather than needing to dance with them a bunch of times to figure them out.

At the end of the first lesson, he told me that I actually follow really well. The very next milonga I went to, I was so much less anxious, I DID dance better and I rapidly improved in everything. The teacher and I subsequently worked on other stuff that he felt were my weaker areas than the actual "following" part.

6. LittleLight

LittleLight New Member

Thanks for the advice. I will consider the private lessons, though money unfortunately is an issue.

I'm sure I'll beat it in the end - I recognise the anxiety from when I first started making music with other people and I am quite comfortable with my musicianship now. Social music making, like social dancing, IMO, should not be about how good you technically are, but how well you work together towards the common goal of good music or good dancing. But it does take a bit of confidence.

7. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I LIKE this!

8. Mario7

Mario7 Member

The first year and a half of learning to lead is REALLY tough. Surviving that, it would take a lot to make me quit.
    The only thing that could possibly make me quit, would be if it ever got to a point where Close Embrace disappeared as something old fashioned, a dinosur and the New dance took over attracting all who didn't want to be left out of praising how beautiful the Emporer's clothes were...if/when it got to the point where Nuevo was now called Close Embrace Argentine tango or even Nuevo Milonguero and that's all there was.. Of course, it would be a post-Armagheden state for me and I would look for some small band of outsiders who still meet in secret to dance the dance of the dinosour where the embrace was intimate and never broken for the sake of some flashy steps.
    I'm told that this threat is all in my head. But I saw what happened to the music from the Golden Age of Flamenco and I saw how in a generation or two something profound can be made into something rediculous but popular.

9. Mario7

Mario7 Member

The fact that Miles does not get the Argentine Tango music at all, is a BIG disappointment to me. He wrote something about; "60 yrs old music that sounds like it's coming from a tin can" - Miles (the Arg. Tango connosieur?)... that's 'NOT getting it', in my world. So, what's Miles dancing to in order to get his Tango Ecstasy?? I wonder? Frank Sinatra? Barry Manilove? ..and he calls it 'Argentine Tango'? Miles has been in it long enough to have discovered that the term 'Argentine tango' refers to a music genre...hasn't he? or is the whole Amerikan thing populated by those with zero exposure to music??
    When I began my own Arg. Tango Odessy, I was an avid reader of the adventures of Miles as he blogged from the back seat of his auto where he slept between milongas... now, he is finally drawn to the close embrace social dance to get his ecstasy but is still deaf to it's soul, the music?? I dont believe it for a minute...I think that part of Miles does 'get it' and another part is just cuadrado to the beauty of the golden age of tango music....what a weird and wonderful creation this is..for a prresent generation to become captivated by music that originated along with the invention of the gramaphone and the long play record!! This is sooooooo sublime! When my grandparents came to Amerika from Italy, the other half of their family was sent to Buenos Aires...and so I feel like returning home for me with this 70 yrs old music that sounds like it's coming from a tin can.

10. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I'm not so sure that Miles actually believes all of those excuses for quitting that he listed. It wouldn't surprise me if he was just trying to get a reaction (or something).

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Here's a thought...perhaps those are reasons he has heard other people give for wanting to either quit AT or take a break from it.

I, for one, can relate to a whole lot of them.

12. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Me too.

13. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Yes, on a related note, one of the things that gets me down is that I just find *so* much EGO gets in the way. Two of the nicest dancers to dance with aren't so great technically but they are enthusiastic and open people, they are also self-depracating and eager to please, I enjoy dancing with them for those reasons, I know they will never make me feel small when something goes a little wrong, they won't laugh or get haughty or assume it was my fault.

I think one of the things that makes tango 'not work' outside of Argentina is sticking with the custom of the tanda or worrying you'll offend someone if you only want to dance one song with them. People are more willing to take a punt on a stranger if it's not going to be a problem to dance one, not three or four, songs with them.

14. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Aye, there's a lot of fuddy-duddy-ism masquerading as 'purism'. Rubbish, mix it up, I'd rather someone stick in a Tom Waits track than listen to tanda after tanda after tanda of mediocre tango music just because it is 'traditional'. Tango music is no different to pop music.. there are 10 mediocre or boring songs out there for every good one.

15. Mario7

Mario7 Member

Well, I strongly disagree with this and would appreciate some resolution.
    It goes like this; Argentine Tango is the music. That's the musical definition of the term. This forum is called 'Argentine Tango'. It's MUSIC! pure and simple.. OK, you can make tango like moves and poses to other music but it's not Argentine Tango, is it? When the 'New' music dancers finally get the confidence up to put a name on their pastime, then we will have a clear seperation and can quit this carping. What's being 'purist' about insisting on calling a spade a spade? I think that most dancers with your attitude had probably not even heard a tango before they got involved in the dance. This is a giant vacuum that can't get filled or can I say ignorance? A little respect for well-earned titles like 'Arg.Tango' is all that's being asked for. Why go degrade everything you run into just to turn it into your kind of 'Pop'? If you still cant hear the music, how about working on it a little.?

16. Peaches

LOL. I was with you 110% up until the Tom Waits part! (I just can't stand Tom Waits...makes me want to slit my wrists or something.) But...yeah. All kinds of music speaks to all kinds of different people...not to mention that one person can have multiple moods. Sometimes ya just wanna groove to something else.

And, yeah, there's so much wonderful traditional AT stuff out there...and so much that isn't. LOL. I wish more DJs would play traditional songs, with traditional arrangements, by new orchestras now and again. Quintango, Quartango, etc. They're such beautiful new takes on the old classic stuff. But...sadly...I rarely (if ever) hear them played.

17. Peaches

:spam:

...troll...

...zzzzzzzz...

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Peaches, I am neutral in all of this. ("No dog in the hunt" here.) But you are adorable in expressing yourself!

19. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Agreed! I don't think the new orchestras get enough respect. And there are also the bands with a new take on things too. One thing that impressed me about Otros Aires is even though they have a new sound, they are also music theory geeks and pay homage to the structure of the old tango music.

20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Ah but if you are not born in Buenos Aires.....then is it really Argentine Tango?
    I'm in the UK and you're in Mexico so how can either of us be sure its Argentine Tango that we are dancing? And if its Golden Age music that you are expounding how can you be sure that you are dancing the same way as they did when they made the music.
    and if you play La Cumparsita composed by Rodriguez in Uruguay, or Ibrahim Ozgur?
    or Jalousie by Jacob Gade;

As Peaches says; I also enjoy orchestras who play traditional pieces; Los Reyes or Joaquin Amenabar, or Los Tauros or Tango Siempre; Berretin