Tango Argentino > Reasons to quit tango

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Captain Jep, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Who is the "we" you refer to? From what I can tell, the collective "we" here is just fine with the forum as it is and is not looking for it to change. As I said before... the internet is a big place. You are always free to find a hosting service and start a forum that's exactly what you want, and moderate it to be limited by whatever parameters you wish. I think the majority here is NOT in favor of the limitations you wish to impose, and therefore the moderators have no reason to implement them.

2. Zoopsia59

I'll PM you.

3. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I have stayed out if this for a few days to see where it was going. The thread got back on topic (and, yes, it is ok for threads to stray from the orig. idea to a "related" one), and went to pot again. Thanks for those posts that have attempted to keep this, and other AT threads, less about opinion, and more about the legitimate sharing of ideas.

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Tom Waits has a gravelly voice like Daniel Melingo and Caceres, not to everyone's taste but the sound quality in that video was poor.

A Soldiers Things and All the World is Green are better tracks than Hoist the Flag and 16 Shells from a 30-0-0 makes a good alternative milonga;There is also Fools Tango by Nighthawks at the Diner with Ruud who has another gravelly voice.

BOT Tom Waits is no reason to give up tango

5. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

What a horrible track! I don't know why anyone would bother dancing to it when there are lots of other nicer choices both trad and modern. As for the musicality in the vid, it supports my contention that you could be just as expressive dancing tango to a metronome as most modern and non-tango music. Not that I don't enjoy it sometimes but the pleasure is in the feel and flow of the physical movement rather than the connection with the music.

6. bordertangoman

what a ferocious contention!; but it could apply equally to the guardia vieja tangos.
    Most music has a rhythmic structure but its the other instruments (and sometimes voices) that make it interesting.

7. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

I dont think it applies at all in the same way!

I think most alternative DJs are savvy enough to know that they cant play something like Tom Waits very often. In fact many "alternative" evenings have at least a third, sometimes half the music as traditional. Even if the "traditional" is often by newer orchestras.

I'm surprised that no one so far has mentioned Miles' "sex comment" as a reason for giving up tango? lol ..... :rolleyes:

8. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

Yes, all music has a rhythmic structure but it is the subtle variations and play that occur within the basic rhythm that makes traditional tango interesting to interpret but are are in short supply in a lot of modern tango music that I hear. It's often flowing, hypnotic and melodic (and these can be enjoyable features in themselves) but also very repetitive, with no clear structure, inviting the sort of mindless, free-for-all musicality that could equally well be done to a metronome.

9. bordertangoman

I'm sure there are some that fall into your description and many that dont; the El Corte specials seem to be very ambient ( which I dont like) but there are plenty of others that have a progressive musical structure ( as opposed to a repetitive rhythm which is the bane of electro-tango) but one can find subtlety in all sorts of places; narcotango carlos libedinsky for instance...Vi luz y subí..or Strange Games by Ruth Roshan
    or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLt-NEc-OS0

you're going to have to have the equivalent of the Old Grey Whistle Test...

10. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Ilene (la rubia = the blonde)
    recently @ La Nacional on thursday & @ Maria Jose's sunday practica

11. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Ha ha ha! I was only kidding about Tom Waits - I like listening to him but it's sooooo not lending itself to tango, that track! One of my favourite tracks, I might get it played at my funeral... if I ever become a pirate..

.. but sometimes 10 tandas of aural chewing gum tango makes me want to have something more interesting on.. anything...

And if you think that was 'truly appalling' then I am *definitely* coming to Canterbury! I thought they did really well to a totally incongruous tune!

To me, Tango Schumann makes no more sense to me than Tom Waits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaUAQ41MYkg

... but we're straying off topic ;)

12. Zoopsia59

We also seem to go through at least one discussion of complex music theory on every thread too.

13. bordertangoman

alittle drop of poison and a suitably grimey video...

[yt]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jprcfF0j5mU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jprcfF0j5mU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl6i5lvVGhQ

14. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

CE is a parenthesis in the history of tango. It had a start and it will have an end, rather soon now by the way. The only thing we should take care of is to keep some kind of living museum of CE, maybe El Beso in BsAs.

15. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Troublemaker

[​IMG]

16. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Am I the only Poly-Embracionist around?

No, it isn´t. There are two strands of holding right from the beginning hundred years ago: open and close. The rather black people danced open, the europeans tight. Both threads belong together as twins. For every purpose there will be an embrace. For every style of music there will be an embrace. Those who only dance one kind of embrace are one-legged tangueros.

17. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

Yeah, but it doesn't need to make sense, cos it's art, innit? They flagged up from the very first step (How? I dunno, slow motion strutting to invisible music, I suppose) that the dance was going to use elements of tango but we weren't to expect it to look like tango as we know it. A bit like Picasso painting pretty ladies. Sorry, it's all a bit pseud, feel free to tek the proverbial.

Anyway, I loved her wet-look dress, and those planeos, gasp. My knees wouldn't put up with that, even if anyone led them on me which is unlikely to happen in a million years.

18. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

I enjoyed this because I always like grimy, grainy, gritty things. Arguably the graphics were showing more musical interpretation than the dancers. I especially enjoyed that little moment at 2.01.

Back on topic, it occurs to me that I almost gave up Modern Jive because it was so difficult to find places that consistently played the sort of music that I wanted to dance to. That hasn't been a problem in AT so far because I'm insufficiently knowledgeable and sensitive to the finer details of what I'm dancing to - as yet. But I suppose it could happen.

19. Zoopsia59

Which brings up a personal pet peeve/ reason to quit tango...

Leaders who lead some deep bend thing and then don't help me back up!

20. Madahlia

Madahlia Member

Yet another reason for leaders to train as followers as well. It would only have to happen to them once!