regarding heel protectors

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_moogle, Feb 7, 2005.

1. I'm sure this is far too late to ask this kind of question, but is it a crime to wear heel protectors while competing? Sometimes I do see couples wear them, but I heard it's not right to do that. I don't know.

What do you think?

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Where did you hear it's not right to do that?

3. 10Dancer

10Dancer New Member

I've had numerous coaches tell me not to wear them in latin. I've never had a coach say not to wear them in standard.

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I would say that I love them...dare I say I am addicted to them. But that is Smooth/Standard, where we actually use our heel.

Latin I can see would be a different story. Except for Paso, you have no toe releases or heel leads. So there should be no reason for youu to wear out your heel, or slip off of your heel.

I will look next time to see if I can see any top pros wearing them in Latin/Rhythm. And I would take my cues from them.

5. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Did your coaches give a reason for not wearing them in Latin? At some competitions in college gymnasiums they are required at all times to protect the floor. I don't see how wearing them could hurt your latin.

6. 10Dancer

10Dancer New Member

I don't really remember why they said not to wear them. I think it had something to do wtih slowing down spins or spirals. I know I like dancing better without them in latin. I recently put a pair on my latin shoes and for some reason it felt really odd so I ripped them right back off.

7. Laura

Laura New Member

Someone, I think it might have been Pierre Allaire, came out against them in an article in "Dance Beat" a few years ago. He called them "heel condoms" and said he hated the way they look.

Personally, I don't care what anyone thinks because I simply cannot dance Standard without them.

There are at least three different kinds of heel protectors, though, and some are nicer looking than others.

The first kind I ever saw was the soft plastic kind. They're clear and slip over the end of the shoe. I can't use them because they pull off when I dance Foxtrot, and also I wear through a pair in about an hour. Your mileage may vary :)

The second kind are the hard plastic kind. These are opaque and sort of ivory color and also slip over the end of the shoe. They last a good long time but they are ugly -- they make the heel look stumpy and heavy. They're great for putting on shoes when you practice, though.

The third kind are my favorite. They are small cross-shaped pieces of suede that you fold over the end of the heel. Some people hold them in place with rubber bands, which looks bad in the same way that the hard plastic heel protectors look bad. But another way of holding them in place is using old-school cellophane tape. NOT the "magic transparent" tape or "satin" tape, but the real old-fashioned stuff. Why? Because the real cellophane tape is shiny and it also stretches a bit, so when you wind a bit of tape around the heel protector it molds to the shape of the shoe and is a bit shiny to coordinate with the satin fabric on the shoe. If you really want to get fancy, you can do like I do and dye the suede heel protectors to match your shoes, thereby making them even less noticable.

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

plastic ones make the heel 1/2 cm higher. That might hurt ones latin or standard

9. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

very true, I dance much balanced and controlled in latin without heel protector, and it is because of the extra height added by using the protector. For standard, I like to wear the plastic heel protectors. They give a little extra surface area of the heels, which makes doing a heel turn easier.

10. swan

swan Member

Since I only do standard...Can't speak about Latin shoes.

I used to wear the suede bottom/plastic heel protector. These days, I have the flared heels (but not the slim version & so Supadance heel protectors won't work), I would just pay the shoe repair shop to just glue a piece of suede on there. It actually lasts for a long time... And it's 'less ugly' as it doesn't show thru.

11. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Yes it might initially (then again it might not). This is something one could adapt to if they really had to. After all, ladies latin heels come in a variety of heights. If one were forced to wear heel covers, my guess is one would probably opt for adjusting to the extra 1/2 inch in height rather than to purchase shoes with a 1/2 inch lower heel just to accommodate the extra height gained by a heel cover.

I take it that the suede covers don't add any extra height?

12. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

These little heel difference are pretty big when compared to the length of the smaller shoes.

13. Angelo

Angelo New Member

huh?

14. Chris Stratton

trigonometry

15. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Try again. I know you don't have anything aginst being verbose on these forums

16. Kitty

Kitty New Member

when you have small size shoes,
    you are more sensitive to small difference in heel size.
    When I went from 2" to 2.5" my feet felt very weird for a few weeks because for the short sole of my shoes, 1/2 inch difference in heel results in a much steeper arch, the same difference in heel for a longer shoe would not affect the steepness of the arch so much.

17. Chris Stratton

Nor anything against being obtuse.

18. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Now I understand a little better. Thanks. So ladies with larger feet wouldn't be expected to feel as much of a difference.

Interesting. My partner wears heel covers on both her latin and standard shoes. Mainly to prolong the lifetime of the heel of the shoe. Her feet aren't that large so maybe I'll ask her if she notices much of a difference

19. Angelo

Angelo New Member

Is that what you were doing? Keep practicing

20. Kitty

Kitty New Member

heel cover or plastic heel protectors?

I don't even feel suede heel covers on my shoes

if she always dances with heel protectors on , she probably doesn't feel uncomfortable cause she is used to that combined heel height.