Salsa > Reggaeton suggestions?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by mellody43, May 11, 2004.

1. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Salsa purists probably hate reggaeton but whenever I hear it tossed in the mix at clubs, I just get such a kick out of it. Any artist or song recs?

Thanks!
    Melissa

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Tsk tsk tsk! The salsa purists shall have your head! :shock: :lol: :lol: I have a few faves, but I can't speak Spanish, so I don't know the names. I'll have to check back in after I check the titles on a couple CD's.

3. tj

tj New Member

:doh:

(teasing - sort of!)

4. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

LOL! Thanks guys. Yeah, understanding salsa Spanish is hard enough -- reggaeton -- forget it.

TJ: WHAT?! WHAT?? :)

Melissa

5. pygmalion

Here's a history/background web page on reggaeton, with MP3s (at least, so it claims) and some artists names.

w w w.musicofpuertorico.com/en/genre_reggaeton.html

6. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Yes, off with her head! :uplaugh: :lol: :lol: I'm only kidding. Try Vico C's Bueno, El Malo y el Feo (The Good, The Bad & The Ugly) [Reggaeton Remix - Eddie Dee]
    :arrow: Here

That's the only one I like. :D

7. tj

tj New Member

Couldn't resist! :twisted:

8. pygmalion

The thing is, the music has been around a long time. I don't know when it got popular in Jamaica, but dance hall reggae hit the pop/R&B/hip hop charts in the U.S. back in '89/'90, when Shabba Ranks hit the top twenty. And it's been around since then. Now reggaeton is the same music with Spanish-language lyrics. You can run, but you can't hide. Reggaeton, or dance hall reggae, the English language equivalent, is here to stay, at least for a while. May as well enjoy it. :wink: :lol:

9. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

What prompted my post is a song on a mix CD -- "Juliana"? I think? -- it sounds like a variety of singers in the song, and one part is reggaeton -- so damn catchy.

10. peachexploration

Sean Paul's stuff is pretty good as well, if you're interested. 8)

11. pygmalion

And he's cute! :oops: :lol: A friend and former coworker of mine went to high school with him, so we had drinks when he was in town a couple weeks ago. Holy cow! :shock: :lol: Too bad he's way too young for me. :wink: :lol: :lol:

12. peachexploration

Oh yes, he is a cutie! :D Lucky you! :D

13. squirrel

squirrel New Member

to me raggaeton is just an excuse for teenagers to rub one against the other... and the music is quite boring...

14. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I will second to that! Does he count as a 'trophy', do you think...? (Sass....um, Youngsta....?)

His music is great fun! ever tried zouk to it.....?

15. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Squirrel -- I haven't heard it enough in clubs to really agree or disagree with you, but I can see how a whole night of it would be boring. That's why I love when merengue/cumbia get mixed in with salsa. All salsa get a LITTLE old for me after 1-2 hours ... And some people seem to think merengue is a chance for rubbing, too. LOL! =)

Melissa

16. tj

tj New Member

It's not? :shock:

:wink:

17. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

LOL!

I'll put it this way: Rubbing is not welcome with ALL partners. LOL!

18. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Well, you salsa folks in Seattle is about to get a new addition :wink: !

CapricornDancer is about to move there in Aug. He also mentioned what Melissa had noticed, which he is looking to change.

Check him out 8) !

19. tj

tj New Member

He's welcome to PM me if/when he comes out here or if he's interested in knowing which clubs to go to on which nights...

I saw his photo in the albums, so I now know to keep an eye out for him.

Err... which part are you referring to? The too much salsa or the rubbing or something else?

20. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Too much just salsa.......