Salsa > Reggaeton suggestions?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by mellody43, May 11, 2004.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Isn't that a song by DLG?

2. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Yep, it is! I didn't know it at the time I originally posted. There is one part that is sort reggaeton style (at least, to my limited knowledge of reggaeton) -- anyway, I know lots of people think that remake of the song is a travesty, but people ALWAYS get up to dance like crazy to it. =)
    (Myself included!)

Melissa

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Reggaeton is hard to find in music stores, I'll tell you that much. (Unless you go to a specific Musica Latina shop, I'm guessing :?: ) Is it because music retailers don't know where to pigeonhole it? :roll:

4. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

oh yeh Sean Paul is cute!! 8) :lol: my friend's husband is one of his musicians 8) I'm trying to work out a way to show up at one of their rehearsals LEGITIMATELY :D *ahem* solely for the purpose of finding out if he is interested in learning salsa....no other reason....honest!! 8) and then there's Shaggy 8) *sigh* :D

AS for reggaeton (note the spelling please! :p ) it is played in our club here in Jamaica but surprisingly not that often. Some of the songs are pretty cool though but sometimes it does inspire something similar to the 'gyrations' that ordinary dance hall reggae portays. (ok I hope that made sense)

Personally I find that merengue gets boring after the third song has been played.

5. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

People here go crazy for Don Omar! They even plan it on the hip hop stations.

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the Dance Forums salsalawyer! :D

7. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

Glad to be here!

thanks for the welcome!!!

8. pygmalion

Hi salsalawyer!

Welcome to the forums! :D My problem with reggaeton is that I speak NO SPANISH! :oops: (Yes, I plan classes one day, if I can eek a few pennies out of the dance budget) So, when I hear something I like, I usually can't figure out who's singing it, unless it's on the top 40 station that puts its playlist on the web.

I'll check out Don Omar. Thanks for the tip. 8)

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

And we're glad to have you here! Noithing like adding another dance enthusiast to our ranks! Sorry that I can't stay and chat but I'm late getting out the door. Looking forward to "seeing" you in the forums however... :D

10. Sagitta

Okay if everyone is so crazy about Don Omar why is it that I can only find the CD "The Last Don" out by him? What else has he done?

11. DiAnAoN1

DiAnAoN1 New Member

I speak spanish fluently and half of the time I cant understand what theyre saying, I think it's because most of the artist are Puerto Rican and they use lots of slang thats only used in P.R. so basically I dont know what I'm saying half of the time I'm singing along...I hope it's not too bad :oops:

12. pygmalion

Yes. Ignorance can be bliss. Everybody knows it's not really cursing if you don't know what you're saying. Right? :wink: :lol: At least I hope so. I have a feeling I've been phonetically singing along with some pretty questionable things. :oops: :lol:

13. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Not much good is said in the majority of them anyways... IMHO...

14. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

sadly most of the time, they are mumbling anyway!!

I just get caught up in the beats anyway!!

15. pygmalion

Exactly. It's about the beats, which are contagious. It's really funny, but when dancehall reggae first got popular, I hated it. Now reggaeton (which has the same kinds of beats) I'm jammin along all the way. That reminds me. I gotta go buy another CD today. Top 40 stuff. What can I say? :oops: :lol:

16. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

soon enough you are gonna be able to buy reggaeton hits 2004!!

17. Sagitta

Is that series any good. If I wanted a representative sampling of reggaeton is this what would be recommended to me? Are there reggaeton genres, such as Cuban, US etc?

18. pygmalion

It seems that the quality varies. I have a couple reggaeton compilations that are quite good, and a couple that seem to be jumping on the band wagon -- not all that good, but trying to make a buck off reggaeton's increased popularity.

19. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Recommendations, por favor! =)

Melissa

20. Sagitta

Okay brujo, anyone. I cannot find any CD/group called "Cubanito 2020". Help!!