Salsa > Reggaeton suggestions?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by mellody43, May 11, 2004.

1. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

Sagitta, just paged you - I think I found it on Amazon.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Okay. I'll check the CD covers in the car. :wink: :D

3. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

Reggae actually has its roots in Jamaican Ska from the early 60s. During a heat wave around, I think, '67, the dance hall DJs and musicians slowed down the Ska and it sort of evolved into Rock Steady. Due to the heat, people didn't want to dance as fast as was needed for Ska. In the late 60s and early 70s, the Rastafarian movement took hold and grew and out of that, Reggae was born. Quite a few of the early Ska musicians like Bunny Wailer eventually started playing Reggae. There was a resurgence in the popularity of Ska in the late 70s and early 80s that was brought about by bands like The Clash, The Specials, Madness and The English Beat. If any of you remember Fine Young Cannibals, they were an offshoot of The English Beat.

4. pygmalion

:D I'd forgotten all about the Fine Young Cannibals! 8)

Traditional reggae I liked from the beginning, or, let's say, when I first started hearing it on US radio in the late seventies, when Bob Marley was in his heyday. Who could possibly NOT like Bob Marley? Gregory Isaacs. Peter Tosh is cool too. Even Yellowman (although some of his lyrics? :shock: Suggestive doesn't quite cover it. LOL) Dance Hall was a different story. HATED it, at least at first. It grows on you, though. :wink:

Incidentally, some artists, like Sean Paul, for example, are trying to bridge the gap and do both. 8)

Umm. reggaeton. Gotta think reggaeton. :oops: :wink: :lol:

5. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

On a side note, Ska was first introduced to the US in '64 when The Skatalites played the NY World's Fair.

And Ska has some roots in Calypso. Did you know that Louis Farrakhan was a Calypso singer in the 50s? You can hear some of his music at http://www.fadetoblack.com/farrakhan/music.html .

6. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Hepcatbob, this is quite interesting. Almost unbelievable. Read a couple of Bios and yes, it's there. Very interesting. :D

7. pygmalion

I was thinking about this today. Maybe that would make a good thread in A music forum (listneing, DM? :wink: :lol: ) the ska "diaspora" so to speak. I know ska and later reggae ended up influencing music in Puerto Rico (ala reggaeton), but it also influenced high life music in West Africa, and a couple other African music genres. Pretty neat to listen to 60's era high life and hear ska, then listen to 80's era high life and hear reggae, then listen to contemporary high life and hear reggaeton/dance hall. 8)

8. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

We Jamaicans are quite influential...what can I say :wink: :D

9. pygmalion

Nice, too. :wink: :D

10. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

but of course :wink:

11. Looking for this song

Hi there, I heard this nice melodious song in the Las Brisas Club in Cabarete (DR). A woman is singing (not rapping) with a beatiful voice and in the background is a reggaeton beat.
    Because there arent that many nice and slow and melodious Reggaetons, maybe somebody knows which song i mean?

12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Sounds intriguing. I don't but I'm hopeful that one of the df reggaeton fans will be able to help you out. :)

By the way, welcome to df! :D Glad to have you with us.

13. pana

pana New Member

The best known female regeton singer is Ivy Queen from Puerto Rico. I'm not sure which particular song you are refering to, but most of her songs are not rapped and she has quite a deep voice.

Pana

14. pygmalion

She's cool. :D Something Bailando is getting a lot of airplay right now.

btw. Welcome to the forums, pana. :D

15. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Speaking of "Bailando"...I've heard the salsa song of that title by Frankie Ruiz...I have it on his "La Leyanda" CD, played quite a bit. Good CD. Quite a few songs that I like on it. :)

16. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Y todo comenzo bailando, bailand, bailamos tu y yo.... HOT!!!

17. Hey everybody,

not I think its not her. It is a real Song with Reggaeton Beats - I should have asked the Dj :-(.... and the woman has a higher voice...

18. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Salsero, is it this one? :arrow: Christina Milian

I love this song. Good reggae vibe. Great practice for upper body isolations, not to mention down right dancing. (she says she does the reggae bounce...) :banana: :lol: :lol:

19. Thanks

but no it isnt the one. But its great too. Ill keep on looking...

bye

Mexx

20. pelao

pelao New Member

\

Hmm, its probably Lorna. She's a very popular female reggaeton singer from panama (one of her top tracks was, "Papi Chulo"). Its supposed that reggaeton originated in Panama. But who really knows, everyone would like the credit for that (e.g. - puerto rico also). Even though, in reality, they borrowed a lot from dancehall/roots music from jamaica.

Edit: Actually, Lorna doesn't sing. There's another puerto rican reggaeton female singer (she's not really an MC like the others). I remember a while back seeing her singing really sweet in this soft reggaeton tune. I remember the tune was from this reggaeton group composed of 3 guys or something. Also, in the video, the gal is in some sexy lingerie singing while lying provocatively on a bed.