Salsa > Reggaeton

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by k187, Jun 28, 2004.

1. k187

k187 New Member

How do you dance to reggaeton???

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

To the music? (I'm just being facetious, here. I'm in one of my moods.)

I too would be interested in knowing. :)

3. anmi

anmi New Member

How to dance Reggaeton!!!

Men, Reggaeon is the most easy way to dance and flirt...Look, I'm Spanish so I'm quite influenced by this music...I'ma tell you go things work here and If you want you can try to do it there...
    Imagine your listening to the music in a Disco, you start moving like saying yes with your body, like when you do it with your head, so the same..And you do this at the same time you're walking to a girl, dont care (at least here) If you dont know her, you put yourself after her, very close,you know?? The first thing a girl is gonna do is not hit you,lol..She's gonna turn back, if she likes you, she's gonna let you dance, if she doesnt, she will tell you or will move enough to make you know that she doesnt like you..IF YOU'VE SEEN HER DANCIN' WITH MORE THAT ONE GUY IS GOOD!!!..that's the best thing cuz you know dat shes doenst have boyfrind and if she do he doesnt mind about another ppl dance with her...lol....Imagine that she likes you...HOW DO YOU DANCE???..Very easy you put your hand in her waist if you hadnt put it before,you know? and star moving from left to right but making her notice your...you know? Your penis,but BE SURE IT AINT HARD...lol..They do like it, at least here..And change, if you start dancing and she has her back at your chest make her turn around and do the same and the first thing you gotta do if you're face to face is to entwine, you know put one of your legs (normally the right one) between hers, and she her leg between yours...And in this position is very common to go down and that things...You just gotta be done, you know?? She can do things to you like in the Latin VideoClips...you know??Very hot things...but normally the do it...
    ok???
    The last 2 things...If at the end you really know that she has like how you dance and you think each other is hot there is one thing they like...When your dacing face to face with you legs entwined you can take her left leg (if between your legs is her right one) and put it a bit up,like at the same height of your waist...like if you where tryin' to have sex with her...you know??
    The last one, download videos of Reggaeton from Emule or Kazaa,just lookin for "reggaeton" and clickin just to find "videos"..and do it like the do...

4. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

Hi anmi! Welcome to DF :) Some explicit descriptions there :wink: .. I bet people who asked how to grind/club dance would find your tips helpful also..

me, i'm not so culturally liberated, and it would kinda depend on the guy, but would shy away if a guy i don't know does that with me :p

5. Sabor

Sabor New Member

best way for me to put it into words is that its latin hip hop dancing .. like mixing latin dance movement with hiphop styling .. and i freestyle it so there is no particular pattern of motion i adhere to.. it depends on the girl and how she moves to it.. but basically i go for alot of isolation .. shoulder and hip motion .. moving against each other .. it needs alot of natural flava and spice to bring it on..

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Ditto!

Welcome to df amni. :)

7. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

That's basically what I was going to say also. I have a pretty strict rule that I won't dance reggaeton with men I don't know for two reasons: one, men assume that you must be up on each other to dance reggaeton as amni described (certainly not a requirement); two, I know how I dance, with my hip-hop and belly dancing background and prefer to avoid any "misunderstandings". It's really rather annoying to have to continually back up while trying to dance because your partner does not get it that you want a bit of space. Reggaeton is something I can always just dance with my girlfriend(s)...but not up on each other (I dance how I want to, not to "entice")

8. africana

africana New Member

barffffffff

with guys that dance like amni, my favorite move is called a "knee jerk" with a nice snapping technique to it. great results :twisted:

9. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:lol: africana... 100% agree! Unless, of course, I'm dancing with my BF! ;)

10. wuthering

wuthering New Member

:twisted: Yeah, accompanied by the "get off from the face of the earth" gaze (I'm pretty good at it :wink:). For guys I already know, a sentence like "for that move you need my parents' written permission" will do.

11. I feel pity for shy kids who are expected (by their peers) to dance the way anmi described. I'm fairly shy conversationally, but dance has always been a place where I felt more comfortable. However, I'm personally not comfortable getting involved with even moderate sexual theatrics on the dance floor. Even some sleazy salsa moves are too much for me. (In some ways it sounds like torture: you are supposed to simulate sex to that extent and rub up against each other, but you aren't supposed to allow yourself to become sexually aroused. I don't understand why people would want to put themselves through that.) Also, because this type of dancing puts so much stress on the sexual side of it, I would guess that the unattractive/average looking/less confident, etc. are likely to be rejected as partners more than they would in other contexts. (Maybe it doesn't make that much difference: the shy/outcast types might not be at the dances to begin with. I know I didn't go to any dances when I was in high school.)

As popular culture becomes louder and louder and more in-your-face and direct, I wonder if it's getting that much harder for young people who don't have that kind of personality.

12. I know it's a matter of what you are used to. Some people from cultural backgrounds different from my own would find any kind of partner dancing entirely too overstimulating. But what's left after grinding?! "You put your hands in your partner's pants and stimulate them, but you stop if anyone gets too, you know, excite." "Well, you take off your clothes and the male penetrates the female in time to the music, but you aren't supposed to climax."

13. mexi_gabacho

mexi_gabacho New Member

Culture...

I gotta say that alot of the 'taste' of reggaeton has to do with culture. Women that come from 'shy' cultures obviously would find it way too close. But, there are women that are used to close dancing, and being close and 'touchy' with people, who see it like so... 'it is just dancing'.

Here, in Florida, particularly in Orlando with a very, very large puertorican population, reggaeton is becoming a very big thing. As a salsero, that sucks as you watch alot of 'latin nights' become 'reggaeton nights' at alot of clubs. But, I personally like the ORIGINAL reggaeton, not the ones that all sound the same, say the same things, etc. etc..

But, as far as how it is danced... it is just dancing... some men will always think that because someone dances with you a certain way that means more :evil: I've seen it in salsa, merengue, bachata, cumbia, etc. etc. There will always be that. Admittedly, most of the time, if I'm dancing reggaeton, it is with a friend or a date... every once in a while, someone I meet at the club.

14. gte692h

gte692h Member

I just ask the girls to dance, the same way I would ask them if I was dancing salsa, or merengue. Sometimes, I ask the girls sitting or standing in the corner, and not necessarily on the dance floor already. I've seen that in hip-hop clubs, guys just jump on the girl, out of the blue, and I've never understood how that works.
    I politely ask before I dance with any woman. most of them are very surprised, pleasantly, and they say 'yes' or 'no' with a smile.
    Of course, I do proceed to dance 'dirty' but it hasn't bothered any of the girls yet. And frankly, even if it does, I've seen girls walk away from guys in salsa and merengue too, so I wouldn't beat myself up over it. I do think most of the girls have a good idea of what to expect if the song is a reggaeton.

15. SalseraLaura

SalseraLaura New Member

i only dance reggaeton alone because i have a boyfried who doesnt dance and i dont dance with other guys. I dance reggaeton the same as i dance danchall, so basically its like alot of hiphop steps but moving your hips at the same time. Imagine you're doing the same step as in salsa where you step side.together.side.together do that but put alot more weight on the foot youre stepping on and more suddenly so its a sharper movement, at the same time move your hips like as you would in salsa but more exaggerated...ok reading over that that doesnt sound like it looks good but just trust me on this one...lol

you can do alot of dancehall/ragga moves to reggaeton just adapt them to the syncopated beat...heres a good website which shows some of the danchall moves so you can get an idea..scroll down about halfway and you can see clips and descriptions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/features/reggae/fashion_ragga.shtml#learn2dance

16. timbafreak

timbafreak New Member

Aah the memories! I remmeber all those dances. I won a few dancehall competitions in my time, so I can be very x rated when I feel like it. Especially to DALE! :twisted:

17. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I'm a techno lover, so obviously I detest hip hop...this also goes for reggaeton. My beloved salsa club plays a mix of everything so usually I just take a break when it comes on. And yes, my club becomes one giant "grind" fest of groping and butt shaking (I'm not Latin, my butt just doesn't move that way). ;)

Often I'm like, "seriously, some of you need to get a room." ;)

18. Sabor

Sabor New Member

[sharp breath intake]please forgive her for she doth not knoweth what she sayeth[sharp breath intake]

19. SalseraLaura

SalseraLaura New Member

[threadjack]hey sabor hows things? im missing everyone in cairo. there was definitely some booty shakin goin on in egypt. do they play any reggaeton over there at the clubs now?[/threadjack]

20. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Sorry Sabor...but I don't like to be groped nor do I relish smearing my body all over a total stranger...it's not ladylike. ;) That is why the appeal of techno...if you dance "with" somebody, they get hurt.

Partner dancing--salsa, merengue and bachata....are total different stories...another spectrum shall we say. I don't feel molested when I'm done. :kissme: