Salsa > Reggaeton

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by k187, Jun 28, 2004.

1. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I definitely dance it more Reggae dancehall style than hip-hop. Actually I probably blend a little of all those elements (dancehall, hip-hop, afro-cuban body movements) when I dance to it.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi youngsta. Didn't expect to hear from you for a while. I hope all's well with you. 8) :friend:

3. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:) I don't like raggaeton, nor do I accept to dance it with strangers...

It's ok with close friends, and super with my BF... but this is it! I may dance it with girls, but usually I dance the raggaeton only if I am pretty drunk and in a sleazy mood...

@ timbafreak... I've seen top salseros in LA dance to "Dale"... it was interesting to say the least... :shock: :shock: :shock:

4. luh

luh Active Member

stupid question, but is reggaeton related to reggae?
    luh

5. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Yes...

So reggaeton has its roots in reggae, although it's barely recognisable when you listen to today's reggaeton, which is essentially latin hip-hop I think.

6. Sabor

Sabor New Member

hey darling.. u are definitely missed too.. come back sometime in the not so distant future.. i barely got to dance with u relatively speaking, but its your fault cause evreybody was standing in line.. poor me :p

as for reggaeton,, not they dont really play it normally.. i have to specially nagg on Rami or Suzie to play me one or two.. still not popular here being small scene and all..

7. luh

luh Active Member

So reggaeton has its roots in reggae, although it's barely recognisable when you listen to today's reggaeton, which is essentially latin hip-hop I think.[/quote]

thanks. you probably know that reggae itself is also a root to the "normal" hiphop (the dance funnily has roots in lindy hop)

i was just confused about the reggaeton. i actually do a ska-reggae show,(since 5 years now) but had never heard of reggaeton.
    btw, ska can make you dance very very nice too. though it's not a partner dance ;)
    anyone questions to ska - ask me :D
    luh

8. Most reggaeton sounds very closely related to dancehall reggae/ragga, which is what a lot under-30s mean when they refer to "reggae." (I am not guessing your age or anything. I'm about to turn 40 myself, and I remember being very ambivalent about dancehall when I started hearing in on the roots-oriented reggae show I listened to in high school.) The rapping in reggaeton sometimes seems closer to hip-hop style rapping than to dancehall style rapping. But the basic beat in reggaeton is pretty closely related to dancehall reggae.

(I've been checking a bunch of the "better" albums out lately, and I don't think I can be bothered sifting through this mess just to find the occasional song I like. Also I'm getting tired of hearing people yell LUNY! NORIEGA! *gunshot-sounds: pow-pow-pow-pow*.)

9. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

10. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

barely re-mixed Britney Spears? :?

11. d nice

d nice New Member

Yep nothing like hating your roots. :wink:

Funk/disco=>hip-hop=>house=>techno.

It's all good though.

12. d nice

d nice New Member

Reggaton dance wise is a mix of dance hall, hip-hop, and latin. Not so much a conscious thing as various elements that all the dances have in their roots
    (west african) that have come back together.

The song the couple was dancing to was actually a remix of Beyonce's Naughty Girl, not Brittany.

As to the couple dancing... the guy is a ballroom salsa dancer yes? His arms mess up his Reggaton. Way too much, too big, too often, with way too much affectation.

13. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I stand corrected... obviously it's been a while since I've been in what we call "an American club"... and pairing songs and artists has never been my forte