Tango Argentino > Videos > Regional competitions begin for the World Cup 2013 in BsAs

Discussion in 'Videos' started by jantango, Apr 9, 2013.

1. jantango

jantango Active Member

They dance the salon style of Villa Urquiza.

2. jantango

jantango Active Member

I like the short guy with the tall partner!

3. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

'They dance the salon style of Villa Urquiza.'

<Bites tongue>

4. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

So did I. And two other couples.

5. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call that dancing at all

6. jantango

jantango Active Member

In 2012 there were 13 national competitions in Argentina provinces of Chubut, Cordoba, Mendoza, Chaco, Salta, Neuquén, La Pampa, Jujuy, Santa Fe, and three in Buenos Aires. There were 7 international competitions: Rome, Italy; Athens, Greece; Bogota, Colombia; Caracas, Venezuela; Chillan, Chile; Montevideo, Uruguay; Rieti, Italy, San Francisco, California USA; and Tokyo, Japan.

This year there are only 9 national competitions in Argentina and 8 international competitions: Beijing, China and Moscow, Russia are the newcomers on the list.
    We can expect to see finalists from those two countries in the World Cup.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2017
  7. jantango

jantango Active Member

8. jantango

jantango Active Member

And the Russian champions in the stage category are...

9. sixela

sixela Well-Known Member

Darn -- that Russian salón dancer who gets a prize at 1:39 is good.

10. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

I've been trying to follow sixela's lead & bite my tongue, but despite my bitten, bloody tongue I must say I disagree.

They dance salon style, and she may be influenced by Villa Urquiza style, but his walk is not the characteristic Villa Urquiza walk. I accept that there is a range within the Villa Urquiza style, and no "one right way", but unless you include the Todaro/Bravo style of walking as a Villa Urquiza style (which could be argued since they were in the area). His walk, for the most part, does not look like Villa Urquiza to me.

11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi bro, first and foremost, VU is no dance style but a business concept for merchandizing vernacular BsAs tango dance culture. In that I will follow you: what we see simply is salón style. On the other hand VU never has been a uniform concept: there is the old-order VU style (today represented by Los Dísparis) and the ubiquitous new-wave VU-style (represented by Los Pérez), not to speak of those family variants as f.i. Los Missé.

But today VU does not mean a specific way to move any more: It simply means where you have taken your preparatory class. And of course Los Pérez got the greatest number of winners till this day!

Laurent´s walk is a bit eclectic: toe-first but without bobbing. And Naomi got an open toe-angle in the neutral position. So I cannot actually realize where they´ve taken their lessons.

12. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

So we agree. Not Villa Urquiza. As for the Misse family, I put them in the Todaro/Bravo camp.

13. opendoor

My problem with agreeing only got to do with the event. As far as I know the claims used to be marked out, and T/B trainees previously run in escenario. For me this differentiation rather is due to avoid rivalry than to distinguish styles. But perhaps jan knows some details on this?

14. jantango

jantango Active Member

This couple are "triple" champions in Tango Adult, Milonga and Vals in the Campeonato de Baile de la Ciudad finals held May 26.

stanthemanc likes this.
  15. jantango

jantango Active Member

If you are interested in seeing the final rounds of competition in the Campeonato de Baile de la Ciudad, go to www.youtube.com/2xtango They don't bother to include a video of the Tango Senior division which is just as important as Tango Adult (under 40).

The World Tango Championship in August has a new category for dancers over 60 years. It's about time. The world title is for young couples who are ready to launch their careers as teachers and performers. The Senior category will be the most interesting for me. I hope there will be many experienced social dancers signing up. They don't have any alliance with the judges (as the young dancers do).

16. Mladenac

gymnastic tango :eek:

17. opendoor

Ugh! Spin doctor (sorry, for disagreeing). Speaking frankly, never saw a couple spoiling (better botching) such a wonderful piece like they do. Would recommend to take lessons with me (or better with Mladenac) to achieve some musicality.

18. Mladenac

I didn't understand your post completely. Do you like the video or not?

That kind of dancing is not my cup of tea.
    I tried to watch it second time, but I couldn't manage.

19. opendoor

Don´t like it completely. Found your statement much too mild!

Mladenac likes this.
  20. Mladenac

I try to be polite. Not for others but for myself. ;)

opendoor likes this.