Salsa > Rejected by a guy?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by alorafhs, Oct 14, 2005.

1. alemana

alemana New Member

making the girl feel like an knat - why on god's green earth would that be your goal? because she said no to you?

seriously, if a rejection at a salsa social wounds you that badly that you need to respond with attempts at knat-making, you've got the wrong hobby.

2. HF

HF New Member

I think the idea of the "Why are you being so picky, I certainly wasn't!" sentence was just to switch the point of view. The same thing looks and feels different from opposite ends sometimes. Although it reads a little rude ... I assume Vince will say it very charming and in a joking way.

3. HF

HF New Member

Thinking about rejections in general: One problem may be that people that are not so experienced in the scene look at it as a sort of warehouse or cockgaine where you can pick whatever you think tastes best.

This may be partly true but after a while one notices that the dance scene is a community, and unfriendly or friendly behaviour in either way will have its consequences - for both, leads and follows.

By "not experienced" I do not necessarily mean that they are new to dance but that they did not yet get to the social experience how their own actions will give reactions.

4. africana

africana New Member

yeah i'm sure it feels satisfying to be so clever :roll:

5. alemana

alemana New Member

*snort*

6. brujo

brujo New Member

Wow, I guess my idea of playful comeback really struck a nerve. That's awesome. You all take this stuff tooo seriously...

7. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

I guess I would just be very careful who I said something like racial comments to...or the other comments for that matter...I totally know friends I would say similar types of werid things to...but as a joke that they could share...I would never say something like that to a stranger

8. HF

HF New Member

Translation request: Cannot find "slant" in my dictionary ... :-|

9. gracie

gracie Active Member

Well, this is definitely true!

10. africana

africana New Member

again how nice it must be not to *get* what's the big deal about certain jokes and appropriate context

I would LOVE to be so uhm...unburdended

11. Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious New Member

I don't think that's racist, it's funny.

You completely reverse the roles. Here in scandinavia women tend to favour men that are either i) good dancers or ii) black. Why? Because they think black people have the 'rhytm gene'.

So if a white man would say "is it because I'm black?", then the woman would get very confused, which is funny.

12. africana

africana New Member

oh ok now I get it! It's entirely appropriate for the repressed frustrated white men who keep getting rejected and so find relief from the injustice by projecting racial envy cleverly disguised as humor, and then talking about it so openly and cavalierly on this forum...wow! I'm learning so much

please keep sharing :cheers:

13. alorafhs

alorafhs Member

Hmm show more cleavage...............why didn't I think of that?:lol:

14. brujo

brujo New Member

Dude, you are caught up on the black part and not on the turning the roles around part. It works because on the dance floor, black people are supposed to be better dancers.

It would work the same way if you looked me up and down and said 'No, I don't think so', and I replied 'It's because I am latino, ain't it'. They are making a judgement on the way you look, and you are just throwing it back at them. ****, let's pretend I said 'You are just intimidated my own hotness, aren't ya?' instead of the whole black thing.

15. africana

africana New Member

:lol: ok the reason I'm laughing right now is cuz the logic in the jokes(s) has already gotten twisted...think about it

and here I thought yall were so clever. well excuse me hah!

16. Vin

Vin New Member

When someone turns me down I have the best comeback ever . . .

I walk away and dance with someone else,

not really a comeback, but sometimes I do look for the best follower I can find to make me feel better about it.

Seriously though if you feel as if you need to come up with a snappy comeback perhaps you are taking yourself a little too seriously.

17. DeeplyDippy

DeeplyDippy New Member

Couldn't agree more. Unless it were to dance with them in front of the person who turned me down :)

18. englezul

englezul New Member

This is neither funny nor clever nor accurate.

Like someone said before you are taking it very literally and missing the point.

This kind of joke is based on MISINTERPRETATION. You take the relatively obvious reason (to you) for which you got a certain type of response (in this case rejection ) and then you misinterpret it in a funny manner while acting completely aligned with what you're saying, twisting the whole situation around.

The interesting thing is, this most likely happened to you in many situations, and got a laughter (lets face it, misinterpretation is a common type of humour), but you fail to see the bigger picture because for some reason you have to cling to your racial observation. Humour is humour. It's not meant to be racial, it's not meant to do this or that, it's meant to be funny.

19. alemana

alemana New Member

you miss something even more fundamental, however. it's that using what is a REALITY for someone (racial prejuidice, as it is experienced every day) and making it into a JOKE can sometimes make it not so freaking funny.

20. kansas49er

kansas49er New Member

You are absolutely correct, which is why I HATE the comedy of some of today's leading comics (black or white)