Tango Argentino > Rejections

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by wadpro, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Ok, so just reflect back on the horror you felt when you read his words and "saw" his actions.

Realize that he felt the same amount of horror to her words and actions.

THAT is empathy.

2. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

did you read the original post?

Clearly, this did not happen in a nightclub, then. Milongas are tango-specific and, have pretty clear codes of etiquette (which have been addressed in numerous other threads). The lady was within her rights to refuse a dance and then offer one later, when she was available.

3. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

What might be interesting is that it seems perfectly acceptable to have a personal preference in a purely social settings such as a club, and also in a developed to its natural conclusion type of dance social setting.

It's only someplace in between, some postulated "if you are here you must dance" studio-associated setting where some would argue that a different rule would apply, where objective issues in dancing are used as an excuse to trump everything else.

4. ant

ant Member

Up to here I can agree with you. He may well have felt guenuinely hurt by what he perceived as a rejection.

When you consider what happens next my divergence with you grows and has not been considered in the above post.

5. c955

c955 New Member

I suppose the real irony would've been if the two ladies talking were actually encouraging each other to bolster their confidence to ask the OP to dance...:rolleyes:

6. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Actually, I was quoting Peaches for that - as she said.

I don't think it's automatically wrong to interrupt a conversation.

I don't think it's automatically wrong to get upset by a rejection.

I do agree that the subsequent rejection - as stated - sounds ill-mannered and unjustified. And I'd like to hear more from Wadpro about why he felt it was OK for him to say that - there may have been other mitigating circumstances.

It's a difficult question - I think one thing that's become clear to me is that this "expectation of dance" factor varies a lot depending on location, and yes, depending on the venue and even the women in question.

So the only answer is "it depends".

7. Larinda McRaven

I never stated that I agreed or even felt sympathy with his later actions... Only encouraged that our dear readers consider that his feelings and reaction was very normal... in the same way that some here lashed out at him.

When someone doesn't act the way we want them to we get upset. (whether it is him saying that to her... or us saying that to him) It is your filter that you impose on top of that reality that lets you justify your own actions while condemning others.

It only seemed odd that the lynch mob mentality was crying for him to practice empathy...

8. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

You want answers and wit? :doh:

Fair enough.
    To the question: "Is it rude for a person to defer an invitation to a dance until after she finished her conversation?", the answer is, "it depends".

Firstly, rudeness is not about what you do, it's about how you do it.

Secondly, rudeness is largely a subjective thing (like "cliqueyness"...) - it's perceived by the receiver not the giver. Very few people say "I was rude to XYZ". But XYZ will say "ABC was rude to me".

You need to reread my posts.

9. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

You say he is judging her, we are judging him. So, my dear, he doesn't get a chance to judge his own behaviour in the midst of all this judging? For only when something is pointed out to me do I know where I went wrong.

No, my dear. It's called Cause and Effect. When the original crime becomes a lesser version of the one that followed.

10. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Well said - yes, that's what I've been trying to say.

It's easier to bay for blood, but I'd like to understand a bit more about the circumstances.

Then we can bay for blood :D

11. Larinda McRaven

You missed the point, my dear.

12. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Having empathy for the feelings someone is experienceing does not mean you have to condone the actions they take based on those feelings.

For instance, you can feel considerable empathy for a parent whose child is brutally murdered, and still expect to see the laws of justice enforced if the parent subsequently murders the child's murderer.

Having empathy for others doesn't mean you approve off them doing anythig they please because of how they feel.

Besides, the OP asked us for our opinion of the situation and whether she was justified delaying a dance. However, in retrospect, it seems he did not really want our honest opinions, but wanted validation for his own. Or perhaps he was seeking non-judging empathy. But that is not what he asked in the original post.

13. Larinda McRaven

Exactly. We don't need to agree with his actions, only realize that he was very upset. But how odd that we immediately felt empathy towards her but not towards him.

Perhaps he just wanted to vent...
    As well he only asked advice as to whether or not her reason for declining was justified. He did not ask our opinions on the rest of the situation.

14. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

No.. we were expecting him to practice CIVILITY.

And again.. He ASKED us for our opinion.
    We gave it, and he argued with our answers, continuing to uphold his conviction that she was wrong to want to finish her conversation. If he wanted to vent to a sympathetic audience, his wording of his post was very misleading.

15. CANI

CANI Active Member

Very nice perspective to add bordertangoman...

16. CANI

CANI Active Member

I agree...and reading this thread was helpful as it made me see how often I am (or perceive myself to be) part of the lynch mob...it ain't pretty...thanks Larinda...

17. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I can see why the guy was upset... but the practical advice, which has already been delivered back up the thread at least once, is to learn to guage someone's receptiveness by observing them, and seeing if you can non-verbally attract their attention, before if not instead of a verbal invitation that puts them on the spot to decide between accepting, "rejecting" or offering a more complicated answer.

In simpler terms, if you don't like getting rejected, give people an out where they can be disinclined without it rising to the level of an overt rejection, and do the whole thing subtly and privately enough you don't feel like you've used up your one public "invitation allowance" for that opportunity and can't try someone else.

18. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Does a mother bay for blood when she responds to the teacher's complaint by admonishing her six year old for punching his class mate in the playground? I/we responded to a question in the negative. Remember: a question is opened to any answer - in the yay or nay...don't want a nay, then don't air the question.

The "circumstances" are clear in the OP's post (unless of course he's winding us all up and sitting back over a glass and watching the fallout). His invitation for a dance was turned down. (Rightly or wrongly). He then stewed on the event until the rejecting partner came up to him and apologised in a way she thought best. (There was no mention by OP that she did it in a way that warranted his response, however). Rather than think "aw what the hell". He decided to take earlier rejection ("rejection" (???)..help me out here Freud, Jung, someone) and tossed it right back at her. No doubt making her feel as lousy as he did earlier. Who was it that said, "an eye for eye makes the all world blind". And there you have it.

I've been turned down (mainly by the the latino women) citing that they "don't dance with women". I could respond with a loud "whaaaaa...do you think I'm going to rip your bra off...you think I'm gay....". Effect. No. I smile, say my okays and walk away. Simple... and then watch them get bad dances all night. Ha, ha, ha.

19. Larinda McRaven

Why were her actions quantified by "rightly or wrongly" but his were not?

I like how her actions were stipped clean of any affections but the interpretation and retelling of his actions were vilified, embellished, and personified.

(ps... I like how you just edited your post to less vilify, embellish, and personify his actions.)

20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

thus Spake JUDGE BAILEY

HE IS THE LAW

Attached Files: