Salsa > remembering figures

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by bart1977, May 20, 2013.

1. bart1977

bart1977 New Member

hey every1,

i had the following question, i followed lessons in salsa on 1 and a bit of cuban for on and off for about 3 years, however i didn't do a lot of social dancing, now me and my wife went to a congress and what i was afraid of, when dancing i can hardly remember any figures i learnt through the years and keep repeating the same basic stuff which must have been in my muscle memory.

then i see all the other people dancing with different partners, going through all these different combinations on and on, how do they do that? is it just a lot of work on combinations taking courses or a lot of dancing and trying stuff while dancing socially?

i really wanna get better @dancing but looking back i was quite dissapointed i didn't do better.

any advice would be welcome...
    Bart

2. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

One idea is to think in terms of movement rather than figures (left turning action, or forward step) and then break down what you already can dance into these things. These elements eventually will be re combinable and more accessible than simply trying to remember complexity,

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

See this post regarding "Chunking."

http://www.dance-forums.com/threads...hen-sad-other-times.43364/page-2#post-1001086

Many Argentine Tango teachers start people off with small elements, just like Bailamosdance writes about. Patterns are taught, too, but much less so than in many other dances.
    You've got way more salsa that I do, but I've got my notes and can reconstruct some of that stuff that I canput in my Nite Club 2 step.
    To do that, though, would require practice, and more practice.

You can "steal" moves from other couples or even YouTube, or you can take lessons. Back in the day, people would watch movies, too, and learn moves.

With my other dances - I've been doing them for years.... The constant repetition of certain patterns has made them easily retrievable. I still have to work (ie practice) when I want to add in something I don't do all the time.

4. bart1977

bart1977 New Member

Thank u guys, guess i am gonna try to relax about it b4 things get even worse :) videoptaped some nice things during the workshop and hoping to get my wife enougj motivated to practise them, i often laugh when i think about the time she wanted to learn salsa and i end up begging her to

5. bart1977

bart1977 New Member

Practise *

6. Don Silver

Don Silver Member

In my earlier days I wrote a cheat sheet and had it in my pocket. It just had some notes of things I learned, just to remind myself.

I'd pull it out on a break and realize, oh, I have never used the CBL with an inside turn, or a shoulder check, or whatever. Over time it became fairly extensive, as I simply added more as I learned more.

I doubt anybody else could read my notes, it wasn't perfect. It did help me remember things I had learned earlier. I did that for a while, although over time used it less and less.

I actually still have a copy in my dance bag, so if I ever decided I could pull it out before going dancing. I no longer carry in my pocket, but I could.

I put all the details in Excel, so I could set the column widths easily and fold it up...

7. sebi

sebi New Member

i had the same problem at the beginning.
    Few tips:
    go for social dancing
    write down the figure u know, and check them out sometime to be sure u remmber them

worked fine for me