Tango Argentino > Remotely Playing Music?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by brasilian, Nov 30, 2011.

1. brasilian

brasilian New Member

Hi All,

A friend of mine is a good arg tango dj. Unfortunately he moved far away. I was wondering if there is a way to play his wonderful play list over the internet in our milonga. Can you suggest ways or software programs to use for this? Thank you.

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

3. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Most of the standard repertoire is available on popular services like Spotify, but I don't think that I'd want to trust a live internet feed at any sort of dance event.

Much of the material you might want to use remains in copyright, though, and there are usually licensing issues to consider when making commercial use of recorded music too.

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Google music is free and you can remotely store/play up to 20,000 songs!!!
    I becca google music.

5. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

US only! But if I was running a Milonga, there's just no way I'd rely on an internet connection to keep things going: would you?

6. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

One could try it, but I'd certainly have a plan-B ready to go.

7. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I am no computer freak at all..
    But it should be possible to connect two computers through the internet. Create two IP numbers, set up a network, and define the port. Perhaps someone around here can describe it better.

8. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Your friend could use Shoutcast to stream the music, and then you could use Winamp to receive and play it. They are both free.

http://www.shoutcast.com/broadcast-tools

http://www.winamp.com/

9. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

The DJ also needs to have some kind of feedback from the dance floor. Is it crowded, empty, is the energy high or milonguero, and so on. So maybe a kind of Skype connection would help.

10. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Not a bad idea.

To the OP, make sure that the computers involved are using broadband (hi speed) internet access (via an ethernet cable), and not using WiFi. I'd also consider running Skype on different computers, to be safe.