General Dance Discussion > removing scuff marks from toenail polish?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by yippee1999, Jan 30, 2008.

1. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

OK, this might be a lame question, but does anyone know if there's a trick to removing "scuff marks" on toenail polish? Some guy I was dancing bachata with last night was stepping on my feet and now my nice new pedicure has black scuff marks! (And it's not like I can paint again over it, because I got the pedicure done at a salon so I don't have the polish at home...) Tx!

2. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Not a lame question at all. Actually I have wondered the same thing. I don't have the answer, though. :confused:

3. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Hmmm, may I approach this as a guy?

I'd be inclined to try Goo Gone or 90% isopropyl alcohol, but that would possibly remove the polish, so how about gently rubbing the scuffs with a Q-tip with a bit of toothpaste on it? Toothpaste is mildly abrasive and might act like polishing compound does on a car. Don't rub too hard though or you'll abrade the polish too much.

Otherwise I'd try a little baking soda, vinegar or dishsoap. Seriously.

You might want to paint a fingernail and experiment on that first though.

4. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Thanks! I report back with what worked!

5. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

:rocker:

Awesome ideas! Can't wait to find out how they worked. The 'guy approach' is cool because it's a different perspective. Works the other way, too. A guy friend of mine was helping me with my artificial xmas tree. A branch had come loose from the base, and he said I needed some wire to reattach it. Being a non-handy female, I have neither wire nor wire cutters in my house. But I thought for a moment, then headed to my kitchen, opened the drawer and found some twisty ties. Worked perfectly. :)

6. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Thank you! Nail polish is basically a kind of paint, right? So what would you do to remove a stain on a glossy painted surface? Sand it or dissolve it.

One more idea - salt. Make a paste of salt and a little water and try that.

Disclaimer - I'm not giving any pedicures if any of my ideas remove the polish.

7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

We wouldn't dream of asking you to go that far!

...but I think you should go get yourself a pedicure, complete with polish, and test out the various suggestions...

:D:p

8. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

And swap shoes with a follow and have her step on my feet? I don't know... I kinda like my steenky toes just the way they are.

9. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Just the other day at the grocery store in the nail implements section there was a little kit (I think Revlon?) that was for extending mani/pedi wear. Had a buffing/shining thing, I think even a chamois sort of thing with it? I actually thought it would be perfect for situations like you have. But I always do my mani/pedis myself, so I always have the polish and just polish over, and thought it was a waste for me.

10. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

So I'm here at the office, sitting in my open cube where folks pass by all day... and I just got the urge to see if the toothpaste thing would work! So... I removed my shoe and sorta stuck my foot a bit under my desk so that it would be somewhat hidden from any passerby. I got my toothbrush of out of my desk drawer and dipped it into my glass of water. I then squeezed a bit of toothpaste on it, leaned over, and began to "brush" my big toenail (I had to do it a bit aggressively). And lo and behold most of the scuff mark came off! Can you just imagine the perplexed look I would have gotten if someone saw me "brushing my toenails"? Er...."I like my toes to have that minty-fresh taste"????

11. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Just remember where that toothbrush has been next time your teeth need brushing!!:p

12. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

THAT is a discussion topic for a completely different kind of forum. ;)

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Closed-toe shoes.

'Nuff said.

14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Nah. Too boring. I'll take the risk and like it.

(I've only ended up bloody twice from open-toe shoe mishaps. I'll take that.)

15. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Yeah, I agree on the "no" to closed-toe shoes. I too would rather take my chances. At the same time though, I am paranoid that someday my entire big toenail might be removed! And from what I've seen, it seems that once that happens, your toenail is messed-up for life (right?)!

16. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Ehh, with polish it's not too bad.:) I've had one of my bit toenails knocked off twice since I started dancing. It's bizarrely thick now, and sticks up a bit. Not straight up, just, well, imagine a clam shell, my toenail is sort of like the top of one, curving up and over the nail bed. Definitely looks weird without polish. But as long as I keep a dark polish on it, you only notice if you look close, and few people look close enough at my toes to notice.
    But it's definitely a challenge, finding that perfect length for your toenails that doesn't get ingrown, but isn't long enough for a guy's show to slide up and catch it, knocking it off on it's way up.
    Cool thing is, if your toenail ever does get knocked off, keep this in mind. Once the nail actually totally comes up, give the nailbed a few days to toughen up (it starts out very soft and mushy, like it's had a nail over it protecting it, imagine that!) then you can put polish over the nailbed, and while it doesn't stick quite as well as it does to a nail, you can still disquise your lack of toenail pretty well.

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.