Dancers Anonymous > Reputation Mod - Take 2!

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Jul 26, 2006.

?

Should We Continue Using the Reputation Mod

1. No, it needs to go!

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes, I like the way it works

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Yes, but with changes to the way it works and I will comment in this thread

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

It seems that some people are starting to complain about this feature. Overall, it appears a "majority" of people have no problem with it, but a sizeable "minority" have expressed concerns.

I sort of liked it, because there are a few personalities here (not naming names!) that tend to be a bit lacking in tact or brutally honest by nature in a way that offends others. And I almost feel like the Reputation Mod:
    1. Helps people realize when they are being offensive to others
    2. Helps people who are easily hurt realize who they are dealing with

One thing we might try doing is making it so that all comments are invisible, and the only thing we can see it the score.

Anyways, maybe the "minority" may win out in this particular case, but I would like to discuss it one more time to see what we can do.
    (or maybe I am wrong...maybe a majority of people want to have it.

Here is we will do. It may be fun anyway, and even if one side wins, we may still choose to remove it. We will have a poll.

Above all, let's have fun. Dancing is fun! :)
    We don't need to go around upsetting each other.

1 person likes this.
  2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

So, what exactly are you asking us to do here?

3. DanceMentor

Asking you to vote on the Reputation Mod.
    We are a community here, and I'm hoping democracy might work in this case.

Remember everyone, we are talking about dancing.
    Real serious stuff if ask me. :)

I'm cool either way with what everyone decides.

1 person likes this.
  4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Reputation is a fairly useless and unreliable form of discrimination and is prone to all sorts of irrational prejudices, whims and idiosyncrancies- of others.

”Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." John Wooden

“Character is like a tree and reputation its shadow. The shadow is what we think it is; the tree is the real thing.” Abraham Lincoln

“Reputation is an idle and most false imposition; oft got without merit, and lost without deserving.” Shakespeare

“The more we love our friends, the less we flatter them;
    it is by excusing nothing that pure love shows itself. “
    --Moliere

“Until you've lost your reputation, you never realize what a burden it was. “
    Margaret Mitchell

2 people like this.
  5. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Maybe inserting a poll would have made it a little easier to get a result.

I personally don't think it serves the intended purpose; I don't think people are going to adjust their behavior because they think they're going to get red squares. And I think the novelyt has worn off. I appreciate what was attempted here, and don't mean to sound ingratious (ungratious?? how about like an ingrate??!!), but I think it's time to let it go.

Okay; I didn't see the poll here, ix-na the first sentence.

1 person likes this.
  6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

This should be interesting! I'm neither for it or against it, so I'm not sure which way to vote lol! But I like the idea of taking away the comments and just seeing the score too. There's a thought. Then it probably wouldn't be taken into a really deep personal level like it is now to some people. But either way is fine by me. ;)

7. DanceMentor

I see we have
    2 - No
    2 - Yes
    1- Yes with changes
    At least we are having an exciting poll so far. :)

8. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Can we have an option for "I really don't care about the little squares"? Or would that not be useful for you?

1 person likes this.
  9. DanceMentor

My feelings exactly

10. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

At the same time, though, if someone is going to give me a red square, I'd like to be able to know why.

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

:D

12. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

The poll should have a choice: I don't care either way.

I have not attempted to use the new feature, but I don't care if it is there or not. I have to be extremely p!ssed at a poster to go ahead to add to his negative reputation, I usually just withdraw from a thread when I am unhappy about something.

1 person likes this.
  13. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yep that's true. It's a hard choice. However, if someone gets a red square, then they shouldn't automatically think it was given to them by someone that they might not agree with at the time either. So, the red square is not the best idea in the world.

What if we couldn't give out negative remarks and just give the green ones? Or does it not work that way?

14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I'm not really into it. I've given some out, but I haven't bothered to look at what I've received. And it seems to not work right with some members; for instance, I cannot give any to SPratt74 no matter what else I have or haven't done recently.

15. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

So, does that mean you gave me a green square for that one? ;-)

2 people like this.
  16. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Thanks for at least trying!!! I didn't have any thoughts either way until recently after someone's comment! But I'm not going to stop saying how I feel either way though! ;)

17. africana

africana New Member

been oblivious so far, didn't understand the new stuff. I am just outspoken, so I doubt some points will change that, I do enjoy the chance to approve posts though, that's about it for me. oh and the clouds and squares and warning signs are pretty too:lol:

1 person likes this.
  18. DanceMentor

So far, it looks like we'll be removing this feature, but I think we'll let this thread play out for a day or two.

19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Actually it was suggested that the poll run for the summer so those on vacation have time to get home and vote.

20. DanceMentor

Or maybe we can get a more accurate data sample my measuring for two years. :D