Dance Ads > resale ballroom gowns for tall women

Discussion in 'Dance Ads' started by elisedance, Dec 15, 2007.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I see and meet a lot of tall women in ballroom comp and yet I hardly ever see the appropirate dresses for sale. everything is for up to 5'7" and sizes up to 6 (I am 5'10 1/2 and size ~13 - which, although you might not realize it, is reasonably slim for the height). Am I missing something where to look? Or is it that gowns for tall women can always be cut down to a shorter size, removing them from the market?

WildE and SelenaSaberWind like this.
  2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

one of my gowns was easily up to 5'10 but it got sold fast..
    dont have one at the moment but if you keep in touch with me, I do come across those

WildE likes this.
  3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Do drop me a line if anything comes up - I'm particularly interested in a multitone in blue (but will look at anything except black/red, my current gown.

thanks Kat...

4. Katarzyna

Will keeps my eyes open... will pm you the one that woudl have fit you that I sold

5. amiko

amiko New Member

tall women unite!!

Elise,

Thank you for bringing the topic up. I am 5'9" and have an incredible time finding gowns as well. I think lots of them get shortened...bummer!! :|

We should form our own tall woman band wagon and buy/sell dresses amongst each other!! I know a few pro/amateur standard dancers that are pretty tall (but less than a handful). :rolleyes:

i.e. Marie Burson prollly 5'10", Susie Hardt 5'10", Kat Rogalsky 5'11", and I know some of the American Smooth girls are usually taller than the standard girls in general, but I don't know their names. :|

There's not that many more 5'9"s either, I know 2 people other than myself. :( Maybe there are more in Europe or east coast or some of the BYU kids.

WildE and SelenaSaberWind like this.
  6. Katarzyna

Karolina Holody is 5'9''

7. amiko

amiko New Member

Dang Kat, you're good!!

8. reb

reb Active Member

Amiko,

Your estimate is over a couple inches too high for one whom I know among those you comment on in post #6 above . . .

Although, she is quite tall in my eyes . . .:D

9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

an unmeasureable stature I would guess, eh reb? :)

I'm about to give up on looking for used dresses - will build from scratch. However, that may liberate one tall black/red dress.... :)

10. Katarzyna

:)

11. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I am 5'8" and have two dresses for sale currently:)

12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I wonder who that might be, reb? :) Though yeah, estimate does seem a bit high to me. Don't know any of the rest, personally.

13. amiko

amiko New Member

Yes, Kat, Abby, Gergana's height I'm pretty sure about. The others I am pretty much estimating at it.

Maybe the one Reb's talking about was in heels when I stood next to her at USA Dance SW Regionals, although I'm shocked at how she made it through the long day in them!! :confused:

And yes, with a long graceful neck and body stretch...I'm fooled!!

14. Kaydoodie

Kaydoodie New Member

I'm tall, too!

Hi, everyone!
    I'm 5'11", and am about to embark on my own search for a standard gown. Include me in this "tall women band wagon", will ya please?

15. MissBallroomBear

MissBallroomBear Active Member

Hey hey hey and welcome Kaydoodie!

16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

hi there KDD! We need to form the tall-women-league-for-don't-clip-your-gown-brigade! I think the only way we are going to see dresses for tall women is if they are recognized to have more value. I think that might happen - once the sellers realize they can get more for a tall gown to a tall woman than if sold to a shorter one that intends to clip it.

One scenario for clipping dresses is as follows. Many high level competitors are also slimmer than their peers at the same height. Tall women (probably?) have a larger frame than shorter ones on average and, hence a gown from a tall woman competitor will tend to fit a less proportionately shorter woman. Thus, I suspect top gowns are sought after for the hobbyist dancer in the pro-am market.

Does that make sense?

17. Kaydoodie

Kaydoodie New Member

Yes, Elise, I DEFINITELY have a larger frame! And yes, I have been looking at custom made dresses, on the interet, and at comps. I sew, but not well enough to make a dress, so I guess I'm committed to emptying out my savings account! :(

18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Hi Kaydoodle - welcome to DF!!

I've commissioned the new dress - hopefully it will be ready for the Crystal Leaf in Toronto (April 18th-20th) for its maiden voyage. Do you have a seamstress locally that can make you a gown? I lifted a lot of pictures off teh web - but she ended up designing it from scratch anyway. Since the first dress worked out so well I'm giving her quite a bit of latitude - so crossing fingers...

19. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Start with practice wear and work up from there - or see Laura's online project.
    I personally believe in the more experimental / iterative approach that depends on having time and a source of cheap fabric (that's tailsuit #5 in the picture); but if you are careful and have a proven pattern going straight for the end result with nice fabric is an option too.

20. Kaydoodie

Kaydoodie New Member

Yep...Practice wear! That sounds the the right way to start! Thanks!

And, thanks to all who have welcomed me to DF......I think I'm gonna like it here!