Country and Western > Retro Cowboy Shirt

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Vince A, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Some of the fun things do do this coming weekend in San Diego at the UCWDC Dance Compeition is to go to the "dress up theme" dance. One night is Swing, another is costumes for Halloween. But Friday night is a weird one . . . "Retro Cowboy" shirts and blouses. hat's what the flyer says!

What the heck would a retro cowboy shirt look like? I thought they all looked the same.

Your thoughts . . . . . . . . . :?:

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Heya Vince, not to hijack your thread but my girlfriend and I are going to come over and dance Saturday night! I'm not sure if I'll be able to make Friday night yet but, if I do, I think that I'm going to have to forego the "Retro Cowboy Shirt" myself... :oops:

3. tasche

tasche New Member

Maybe its a cowboy shirt witha 70's collar and a retro print or 40's/ 50's Tex Ritter style. Vintage cowboy shirts with retro detailing are very hot commodities on the vintage clothing market so may be hard to find.

I'll see if I can rangle up some example pics of "retro" shirt vs modern cowboy

4. Mt2stepper

Mt2stepper New Member

You need snaps, Vince. Remember those shirts with snaps instead of buttons? Or am I dating myself?

Wish I could be there, it sounds like a blast.

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Lokk forward to seeing you again, and damn Jonathan, I have a "shirt" all packed for you already!

See ya Sat . . . Care competes Sat morning . . . gets her music at 8 and starts at 9 . . . they have not practiced because Robert's wife is very pregnant with two months to go, and that keeps him from just about everything.

They have practiced once in the last 6 weeks . . . so she thinks her butt will be kicked badly as she is competing against some other really good dancers in Advanced! I told her to just do it . . . it's not about the "scores!"

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

tasche and Mt2stepper:

Snaps? Snaps . . . what the heck are snaps on a cowboy shirt? I don't have any of those . . . I'm not going to go out and buy one just for a theme night . . . what would I do with it after this weekend? Maybe polish the wheels on my truck?

You two must be really old . . . I have no idea what you are talking about! J/K :wink:

7. SDsalsaguy

Thanks Vince... but no thanks regarding the shirt! :tongue:

If I make it Friday I'll make do with my regular black salsa atire... as far as Saturday night's concerned, I've got a costume! :wink:

Seriously though, I'd meant to check with you a while ago if you guys were coming down and had forgot all about it... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Personally I'd like to do a bunch of the workshops but (A) I don't finish on campus until 4pm on Friday, and (B) my girlfriend doesn't know *any* WCS for Sat. or Sun. workshops (and very, very few are designated "beginer").

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Umm. Vince. Snaps are ... snaps!!! Sheesh. They go where buttons would normally be, but instead of threading them through holes in the fabric, you click them together and they seal. My big brother, who is fifty-four, had a couple "country" shirts like that in the early to mid seventies (I think) before he started buying super-duper-rayon disco shirts. LOL.

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Silly man!!! I jut read the rest of your post. for the record, I have NO clothing with snaps. It's way passe. Only babies, ballerinas, and senior citizens wear snaps, and I'm none of the above. :tongue: :lol: :lol:

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Sorry to get back to you so late. I was at the Capital all day working on a legislative bill. Just got home.

Man, try to help a guy out . . . :wink:

Let's see . . . that costume . . . is it "purple?"

No problem . . . you said you would go if things permit. I figured you'd be there if you could!

If you want to take some classes, I can take her aside and get her going on the basics/beginner stuff. Most of my classes are beginners since instructors tend to shy away from them. I rarely do workshops, but you do and Care does. I'm too set in my ways to learn anything, and I hate learning just patterns . . .

11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn . . . i knew what the snaps were . . . I was just being silly. In fact, I had a few of them, but just this summer, I cleaned out my side of the closet, and my thing is . . . if I haven't used it or worn it in the last year . . . out it goes. Guess what went out this last time???

You don't have any of those tight shirts that snap at the crotch??? You know, those ones that always stays tucked in???

I thought all women had at least one . . .

12. SDsalsaguy

Heya Vince... slight change in plans. I'll be there Saturday night but she won't. We may both come out Friday night though... still trying to coordinate plans. :?

Thanks for the offer to help her out, I'll run it by here but, truth be told, I'm probably better off not springing the $ for the workshops... the first paycheck of the quarter comes Nov. 1, and that'll be the first paycheck I've received in 3 months! :shock: :oops:

13. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

. . . Sorry, just arrived in from Sacramento again . . .
    We'll see ya whenever you get there . . .

Happy to help if I can . . . I understand about the $$$ too!

14. SDsalsaguy

Heya Vince, it was great seeing you and Carolyn down here in San Diego the other weekend. I reminded her that that's where we'd first met last year! :D

Thanks a ton for your patience with Anna, she really appreciated it... as do I.

So, what WCS advice for me does Carolyn have?

15. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

It was great . . . we looked forward to seeing you again, and of course it was fun.

She was catching on real fast .. . I enjoyed dancing and doing a little teaching. We were there for fun, not class. But I also knew that she wanted to learn more, as she was eager to accept my suggestions. I can't believe she wanted to learn more 2 Step??? Or was she trying to make me feel good???

Actually, she said you "had been practicing," and your lead is very solid, which she knew right away from doing salsa w/you.

Just keep at it . . . you know it takes a few years before it's automatic!!!!

Keep in mind the April 1 Swing event in LA, called the LAPD . . .

Thanks for making that weekend special!

16. SDsalsaguy

That's great... especially considering the only person I've really danced any WCS with is one of my regulat salsa partners *and* that I hadn't even done any WCS in two months! I know that Carolyn is a sweetheart, but does she have any constructive feedback for me... ? :wink:

It was great seeing you both again, and Anna told me to say "hi" and "thanks" as well.

Any idea about Reno yet? It's not over my Spring break this year so, while I think I'll still go, I won't be able to get away for the whole time. :?