Rhythm Fans - Guess Who's Dancing at Blackpool?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by GJB, May 26, 2006.

1. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I just noticed Ilya Reyzin and Lori Putnins are listed on the Rising Star Latin heat list for Blackpool !

2. ChelD

ChelD Member

I saw that too. I was surprised because I have only seen them competing rhythm as a pro couple. Have they been competing latin too?

3. alemana

alemana New Member

hm. very interesting! i know he was a latin dancer before, and that she danced rhythm with edgar osorio, but don't know her style before that.

4. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I don't think she has danced Latin as a Pro but I think she may have danced Pro-Am Latin with Gary McDonald when she was younger. Not sure about that though.

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Lori did pro 9-dance with Tony Scheppler, then rhythm with Scott Lazarov and then Edgar. But before all of tha Lori danced very successfully pro-am latin. And Ilya danced Am latin. So it is not unthinkable for them to do it. But there a no plans for their "latin" career other than to have fun at Blackpool.

I saw her 2 days ago fresh from her wedding looking fabulous and ready to hop on
    the plane for Blackpool. I hope they have fun.

6. alemana

alemana New Member

blackpool as fun, that's a trip!

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Many American style couples switch styles for one fun trip to Blackpool. There is no opportunity for international travel and comps for us...so why not try it once or twice.

8. alemana

alemana New Member

i love it. totally makes sense.

it's kind of weird to be an american-style dancer in new york right now, with "everyone" gone.

9. Laura

Laura New Member

For a number of years after they switched from 10-Dance to Smooth, David & Valentina Weise would still go to Blackpool and compete in Standard and Latin. I don't know if they're stil doing it, though.

10. Masaya

Masaya New Member

Ilya's Latin is great - I've never seen him compete but I used to regularly take Latin lessons from him and he's a fantastic teacher. When I began taking lessons from him I had just moved up to Collegiate Bronze (I had never placed out of Newcomer), and it was mostly because of him that I placed out of Bronze and Silver and into Gold in under six months. If any of you ever get the chance, I strongly encourage you to take a lesson with him (in Latin or Rhythm).

11. fenixx

fenixx Member

Lori did dance AM/AM latin for a while too.

12. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member

I watched Ilya grow up as a dancer at Sandi Fortuna's studio (Universal) in New Jersey... He had a string of very good partners, some I remember are Sonya Saamova - Elmore (owner of a very successful salsa studio in Philly), Tamara Klimova (dancing pro latin right now), Natasha Bychkova (not sure where she ended up).

I believe he trained with all the great instructors who came to Philly (Jean-Marc, I remember some Italians etc), and he worked with New York instructors too.

I really like his dancing, he is technically VERY sound and fun to watch. Don't really know why he never made the final of the ama latin field. The best I've seen him do is make the semis of the NDCA/ Utah and the USA Dance Nationals...

13. samb2agirl

samb2agirl New Member

He never danced with Sonya Saamova. Brian Fortuna danced with Sonya for a brief period of time. They placed in the 48 at USBC about 5 or 6 years ago.
    He stopped dancing with her because of her age. It put him into Amateur Latin while being only 16 years old.

Sandy brought Tamara to Universal, then Jenee Solis, Daughter of Felix Solis,
    followed by Natasha Bychkova. All to dance with Ilya. More recently Pro/Ams with Amanda Silvy. All of them including Brian, Ilya, Tamara, Sonya and many others were nurtured and coached by Sandra. Then guest coaches and friends were brought to the studio, including the Paramonovs, Slavic, Andre Gaverline, and Corky Ballis . All to motivate and help the kids.

14. fenixx

fenixx Member

Ummm Ilya did dance with Sonya... I believe that was his first partner in the US (I have a tape from 1996 to prove it :) )

15. Kitty

Kitty New Member

half a year ago she got a standard partner at my studio. And even more recently switched to a different partner. They are planning to do 10-dance.

16. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Has Tony Scheppler stopped dancing with JT? I saw JT dancing with Thomas. Is this a temporary partnership? I thought that JT might tell me if there was such a major change in her dance life.

17. fenixx

fenixx Member

Yes, she stopped dancing with Tony. Tomas is her her new partner.

18. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member

I believe Tony is now doing theatre arts with Michelle Lombardo; he doesn't want to compete in Smooth anymore.

JT and Tomas look FANTASTIC together - that guy is a little firecracker, perfect complement to JT!

19. Augustina Nina

Augustina Nina New Member

Actually, Michelle Lombardo is no longer dancing with Tony, she has taken a break from dancing at the moment