Dancers Anonymous > RIP Robin Williams

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancelvr, Aug 11, 2014.

1. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Oh Captain, my Captain...........:(

j_alexandra likes this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sigh...just, no

dancelvr and j_alexandra like this.
  3. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I was sad to read this news. I saw him in Rajiv Joseph's "Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo" on Broadway just a little over 3 years ago on July 3, 2011. It was excellent, challenging theater, and it would not have been the same without Robin Williams as the tiger.

4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

NONONONONOOOOOOOOO

dancelvr likes this.
  5. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I really loved his work... a real shame. RIP.

6. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

I did not follow his struggle... but am in total shock today... I must of watched “Moscow on the Hudson” 10 times back in the 80’s... Good actor..RIP

7. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

So sad.

8. Dots

Dots Active Member

I'll remember him most in his role as "Peter Pan"... I'll miss him :(

9. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

A true American icon. What a loss

10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

What a (moderates self) waste...he was a very talented man...comic genius...I remember seeing him first on TV in Mork & Mindy...then in movies like Good Morning, Vietnam, Dead Poets Society, Aladdin, Mrs. Doubtfire, Jumanji, The Birdcage, Good Will Hunting and Night at the Museum...probably favorite role for me was the voice of the Genie in Aladdin...going to be watching Aladdin again sometime in the next few days...Rest in Peace, Robin Williams.

11. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Very sad
    Am I the only one who found it odd that the President released a statement on his death? He doesn't do that for every celebrity death, no matter how tragic....this is not a critique of the President....love him and a big supporter, but still...?

12. fascination

my observation would be that this loss seems to be causing a number of folks to comment who don't generally get caught up in the whole "commenting in social media about celebrity deaths"...I think it speaks to a number of things;

1) the exceptional talent of Robin Williams
    2) the degree to which people attached to him because they sensed the vulnerability/humanity that was at the root of that talent
    3) the horrible paradox of a soul which brought that much joy, being unable to save himself from such a horrific self-inflicted end due to the tragedy of depression

because he was such a prominant character in the entertainment of more than one generation, it feels for many, to be deeply and tragically sad...and somehow more personal than most celebrity deaths...the genie is free, but at such a cost to the kingdom below

13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Triple like fasc

14. dancelvr

You said that perfectly, fasc. Thank you.

15. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

What I find most unfortunate is that if someone of his financial ability and societal support to receive help is unable to honestly get the help they need... what chance does the rest of middle income and poor society have?

SwayWithMe, Purr, wooh and 1 other person like this.
  16. fascination

truth...it is even harder with those challenges...and yet, if one is too despondant to reach for help no amount of privilege really matters

17. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly!

18. dancelvr

This goes to show that ANYONE....regardless of celebrity or financial status, can be taken by clinical depression. Anyone. It breaks the heart.....

I had my first cry tonight, about the passing of Mr. Williams. The shock has passed a bit, and all I can feel is sorrow and loss. May his soul finally find peace.

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Since it clearly wasn't lack of financial resources that prevented him from getting help, a poor person can have more "want to get help", or as little as Williams.

20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure that many people know what suffering from depression is really like. Until you've walked in those shoes, you don't know...on some days, you just get tired of living. And getting help may not be that helpful. In my experience, taking medication didn't make it better; instead of feeling sad I felt nothing.

wooh and chachachacat like this.