Tango Argentino > Rise and fall when walking?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Probably a stupid question, but should there be any rise / fall during a walk, or should you be more or less constant?

I always assumed that it was the latter - i.e. that you should soften the knees whilst collecting, to minimize and up / down motions.

Am I right, wrong with that?

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I think it is a style preference. I've had some very good dancers tell me to do this, while another very good dancer told me not to. I find the lowering is a good way to let the follower know that something different is occurring (or about to occur).

Also, I've had a another teacher say to raise (a little) on the side that you are stepping on (a little like rocking a baby).

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I think of it as level, unless you're doing something interesting (generally a figure) and wish to use rise/fall for emphasis. But for straight walking I generally prefer it to be level. Just don't bounce...hate bouncing.

4. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

When you are going to the side you should lower yourself.
    When you are going straight, go as straight and smooth as possible .

I have been dancing for a year, I cannot perform many figures,
    but some girls were mesmerize by my walking. :cool:

always step on extended leg, and while stepping on, bent knee slightly.

5. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

It's not a stupid question, David, but you have made me start thinking 'what is tango, then?'!!

I've always assumed rise and fall was ballroom and not appropriate for tango. On the other hand, tango is such that people dance so differently and it is all, still tango that I sometimes muse 'what is tango?'.

One key element we speak of is walking from, as Angel refers to it 'the middle to middle'. I always thought of 'no rise and fall' as a key element.

I feel a new thread coming on! .......

sidenote: look how Geraldine Paludi dances on her toes, yet she's so strong she never rises and falls and of course, it gives her great extensions. Yet you would never get a teacher telling you to dance on your toes. Is what GP does tango? Yes.

6. dchester

While there is nothing wrong with what you have stated, another possibility (explained to me during a private by Mariam and Leonardo) is to go down (slightly) when starting the walk, and not come back up until the walk is ending (to either pause, or start some figure). Leonardo called this "circular motion". Basically, he advocated using circular motion to start any change in what steps or figures you do.

This actually is consistent with what you said about taking a side step. Presumably, before you took the side step, you were walking or doing something else. Then you go down to start the side step, then come back up when ending. The only difference is then to go back down when starting your walk, and come back up when the walking ends (but NOT going up and down for each step of the walk).

7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

8. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

But is that functional or decorative?

9. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

[Deleted]

10. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

11. dchester

IMO, it actually can be both (when done appropriately).

12. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

And in between, if I want a follower to take slower, and larger steps, I get a little bit lower again and if I want her to do small steps (double time) the lead is slightly upwards directed. So do I.

Please correct me, I´m not that fit with it, but, isn´t there much more rise and fall in Milonga?

13. Mladenac

I go down a bit when taking turn so partner can go around me easier.

Milonga should be danced on the ground (more flat footed for men, ladies more toes only with slight bent in knees) and absolutely linear, with smaller steps.

14. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

I'm talking about rise and fall whilst walking traditional tango - more precisely, should there be any rise during the "collect" part of a walk or not?

Or does it not matter?

I still don't think I've heard a definite answer...

Yes, that's pretty much the way I understood it to work also.

To me, lowering is part of preparation, and whilst walking, you keep lowered - and don't bob up and down during collection. And when you stop walking, you return to "raised" position.

But is that just a stylistic preference or what?

15. Heather2007

Heather2007 New Member

Sometimes a little bob is inevitable...but nothing like a "rise and fall" ballroom stylie. Just think: down-and-dirty and that'll keep you grounded..:)

16. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

The tricky part of walking traditional tango is not the fall but the rise. You have a starting point which is the top of your head whilst standing in your starting position. Let’s call this the neutral position. As you dance walking or otherwise you can fall below that neutral position but you cannot rise above it. To rise above it is to bounce and like Peaches stated bouncing is a no no and for once we agree on something.
    In ballroom the rise and fall is above and below that neutral position and that’s what separates us from them.

17. Mladenac

In Tango Salon you do everything as linear as possible, expect side step.

Classical rise and fall like in Ballroom is forbidden.
    You walk like you walk usually, and rise a bit and falling is inevitable.

18. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Blimey... :rolleyes:

19. dchester

Is there some sort of penalty for violating this rule?

:cool:

20. Mladenac

spanking