Tango Argentino > Rise and fall when walking?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Dave Bailey, Sep 21, 2009.

1. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but this is Dave's thread not yours. I thought the protocol was that once the OP's question had been answered, we were free to highjack as we see fit. Isn't that how it's done in Buenos Aires?

:cool:

2. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Im not quite sure I get this thread. Isnt it all to do with the quality of the music? If you want to emphasise the end of a phrase, you are more likely to rise with the final beat and then fall into the next bar. Just walking around the floor without regard for the music would keep you (should keep you) dead level.

3. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

No keeping an old pirate down is there? Well Im hijacking it back again...

4. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Sorry, I posted before I could see Amster's.
    I believe we already had a thread like that on the board, is it essential to go to Buenos Aires in order to learn tango, or something of the sort, and if I remember correctly, everybody agreed to disagree on the matter. :)

5. dchester

I think it can add to the connection, as well as helping to indicate to the follower that something different is about to happen, but the original question (I think) was about whether to rise (and fall) with every step.

6. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

With the right technique you can be level even while being (and emphasizing) on the beat.

7. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Im sure you're right.

To be honest (and not having seen myself on tape) I wouldnt know whether I do rise and fall. I try not to. All I can say is I feel more level when the connection is good and the walking is comfortable. When it isnt, its harder to control the motion and as a consequence it feels like Im rising at the end of a phrase. Whether I am or not I have no idea..

8. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

The rise and fall thing in AT is very deceptive. As you lead, you CAN feel your rise and fall. Most especially when you're dancing ala milonguero. This is because your senses are so alive when you dance this way the right partner with the right connection... HOWEVER, that's what YOU feel, it should NOT be obvious to the observer. Thus, you are still smooth as possible.

9. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

great post

btw I would say that in BR is rise and fall, and in AT is fall and rise.

10. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Talk about hijacking a thread!
    I thought CW was BIG in Gemany? Surely, there a musicians there who play it?

11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

12. dchester

Basically, I (as a leader) have a few main reasons for doing something (in this case, we are talking about rising):

• Improve the clarity of the lead.
    • Improve the comfort/connection with the follower.
    • Looks/Stylistic improvements.
    • Musicality/The music calls for something.
    I believe that occasional pauses can help with all of these at various times. bobbing up and down with each step, less so. There are some things that can be done with each step that can be helpful with some of these variables listed above. Counter/Contra body motion is a common technique done with each step.

Another one that I am experimenting with is slightly rising on the side that I am stepping on, when walking. It does seem to help with the connection. It also doesn't look too bad, as long as it's not over done. Here is a link to a video with Ney Melo and Jennifer Bratt, when they are walking, you can see what I am referring to, plus they look (and dance) a lot better than I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SodIdnzP4gI

13. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Hey aren't you the one who said the question had been answered already and its now time to hijack?

Pfftt:p

:kissme:

14. dchester

I tried to play nice (for once).

:together:

15. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

A couple of posts that I believe need reposting and rereading.

Also, FTR, John, I agree w/ http://www.dance-forums.com/showpost.php?p=730617&postcount=72 . Your post above is really what I meant before by "...standard AT....".

16. jantango

jantango Active Member

Gerardo Portalea with a rise and fall walk

This video shows his dancing with what I consider to be an example of rise and fall in salon tango. The couple stays together in their up-and-down movements, but they completely miss the pulse of Di Sarli. This is not only due to the overdubbing of the music; I saw him dance in person, and he was never with the music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le1_MjxsY8c

That said, the milongueros who danced in the downtown confiterias in the 1950s don't put a rise and fall in their dance.

17. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

You don't have rise and fall in tango. you have fall and rise.
    I hope it is that simple.

I dance more to the music after a year of dance, and his connection is bad.
    Body posture and body dynamics is bad as well.
    It seems that since he is Argentinian he is qualified for tango.
    I would not have classes from him.

18. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Perhaps he's deaf?

or maybe they have the equivalent of the Game played on "I'm sorry I havnt a clue" where they turn the sound down for twenty seconds and see if the contestant can carry on singing and is in time when the music comes back up.
    and thats why they applauded in the second clip.

19. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

20. Mario7

Mario7 Member

..enjoyable to watch but not my favorite style of Tango.
    Would you call it Salon? At this point I am differentiating
    between three different styles of Arg.Tango; Milonguero, Salon, Nuevo.
    ..any (sincere) opinions on this breakdown would be appreciated.:rocker: