Swing Discussion Boards > Rock and Roll Swing Tunes

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by Spitfire, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Which rock and roll tunes from the mid-sixties to present do you like for swing dancing?

Something Good - Herman's Hermits
    Same Old Song and Dance - Aerosmith
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen.

These are but a few on my list - I admit I've never actually danced to the first two since I've never heard them played at any dance, but all one has to do is hear a song to know. :D

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Does Motown R&B count? If so, I can add a few tunes to your list. Mostly ECS from the late fifties and early sixties. Then lots of WCS starting in the mid-to-late sixties.

Or do you mean rock and roll, as in "classic rock"?

Please advise.

Jenn

3. d nice

d nice New Member

Very little to be honest. A huge amount of the RnR music from any ear doesn't swing at all (musically). Straight beats, little in the way of rhythmic complexity or improvised syncopation (Bill Haley is the example Grover Sales uses).

Jackie Wilson, Chuck Berry, Early Elvis, Gene Vincent are good examples of stuff that works for me.

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

A lot of that music "IS" tough to dance to . . . you actually have to dance to the rhythm . . . although I will try any song at least once.

Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers
    But It's Alright - JJ Jackson
    In The Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett

5. Spitfire

Yeah, Motown counts. :wink:

6. Spitfire

You're right; most of it doesn't, but there are some that at least to me are very swingable such as the tunes I mentioned.

7. pygmalion

Needless to say, I've gotta get my two cents in on this one.

1. I always rise to a challenge. Will go off this weekend and listen to my Motown CD's (cool compilation -- "Hitsville" Motown stuff from 1959 to 1971), and come back with some ideas. :)

2. Most music is danceable, if you're doing the right dance. A lot of the music I remember from early childhood is really not ECS or WCS. It's a sort of hybrid, and that's the dance my (much older) siblings did for years when they held many a rockin house party.

Dance called the bop. Remember it? Hand to hand hold and counterbalanced feeling like WCS. Down on two feeling like ECS. Definitely not a slot dance. More like a rotating around a spot dance. Double swing sort of tempo, but a little bouncier. Touch-step, touch-step, coaster-step was the basic. Way fun! And not just a Philly dance, either. I've met some folks from Kansas City, of all places, who could really bop.

8. d nice

d nice New Member

Bop is, pardon the vernacular, one bad-azz dance.

I don't know nearly enough of it.

9. Black Sheep

Black Sheep New Member

Vintage still Swings

R&R Lovers'
    Ask your D.J. to spin, Bill Haley's, 'Rip it Up' from 'Don't Knock the Rock' and watch the dance floor get over crowded.
    If you realy want to get turned on to the great classic dance music, Check the long list on the thread, 'Songs You Have to Dance To'.
    Black Sheep, Rock & Roll, Yeah!

10. Spitfire

Three more that come to mind:

Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Moondance - Van Morrison; one that get's a lot of play at the dances.
    Little Girl - Syndicate of Sound; kind of a forgotten tune.

11. pygmalion

Guys, guys! There is SO much Motown-type music out there that's danceable! I have to admit that there's a lot of stuff out there that's a not-ECS, not-WCS tempo, so it's kinda hard to dance to. But there's a lot of other stuff as well.

I'm still working on this one, and compiling a LONG list.

And I'm having a blast with it too. :D Pulled out CD's I haven't played in years.

I'll report back in a few days with dates, titles, artists and names of CD's.

In the meanwhile, I'm a car-dancin fool! :lol:

Okay?

Jenn

12. d nice

d nice New Member

That is why there are so many swing dances. Carolina Shag, Hand Dancing, Chicago Steppin' etc.

I love swing dancing to Motown.

13. pygmalion

One of these days (maybe soon, I'm planning a trip in November) I'm going to come out to wherever you are in Cali, and take a couple lessons from you. My swing is fun, but atrocious. And I would love to learn from one of the best! :D

Jenn

14. d nice

d nice New Member

You come out to Northern Cali and we will definitaley hook up.

One of the best? All things are relative.

15. pygmalion

Don't give me that modesty thing, guy. I googled you. :shock:

Therefore, I know of which I speak.

Actually, that's one of the nicest things about this board, I think. With the caibre of some of the people involved, I would have expected "attitude" and conceit. Instead, there's much humility, fun, and kindness all around. :D

16. d nice

d nice New Member

Damn... Google is evil! It is all lies. ;)

I've just been doing this for a while. Anyone willing to put time in can achieve whatever skill or prestiege may be associated with me. Hell, they could do more pretty easily. I'm pretty lazy. 8)

17. pygmalion

And you're kinda cute when you're being modest! :D

18. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

of course he's kinda cute when he's being arrogant-- very few people can pull that off!

19. suek

suek New Member

i'm lucky to one of damon's students. here's my two cents about arrogance.

i can introduce you to many swing dancers who ooze "you're not good enough to shine my shoes let alone dance with me." that's arrogant, off-putting, and certainly does nothing to encourage new dancers (i have just about two years dancing lindy).

and then there's the confidence that comes from knowing. knowing that comes from studying, application and practice. that voice isn't arrogant and for me is worthy of my best listening.

it's funny...the same person (damon, me or most anyone) can speak wisdom and arrogance. and in conversation i find myself retaining much more of the wisdom and automatically tuning out most of the arrogance.

sue

20. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

Hello suek!! I'm glad you decided to join us a the forums!

I agree with what you said, it's very true.

What got you started dancing those two years ago?... and how did you end up finding D nice as an instructor?

I'm really interested in learning more about you and for the sake of keeping these forums as organized and user-friendly as possible I look forward to hearing all about you in the Hello thread of the Dancer's Annonomouse Forum!! That is, if you haven't done so already! :wink: