Rolfing

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by skwiggy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever heard of it? Had experience with it?

It was recommended to me recently, and I had never heard of it before. Certainly sounds like the kind of think that if effective, would not only help with many different kinds of chronic pain, but also would likely make dancing easier.

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes, have thought about doing this for many years, and then again recently. i think it would marry well with the meridian work i've been doing, which also works on the level of the fascia. but i'd want to find a practitioner who is also schooled in feldenkrais & idiokinesis, not just a rolfing purist.

i have a breath-training coach who went through three rounds of rolfing during his life, and he strongly encourages it.
  3. skwiggy

Do you know if this is something that medical insurance would ever cover? I hear it can be quite expensive.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i would be impressed if insurance covered it, but i doubt it. i think it's probly on par with the meridian training as far as expense, except that i believe it is understood at the outset that rolfing is done in a series of 10 sessions.
  5. Laura

Laura New Member

I think in some states Rolfing is covered under specific circumstances, like certain providers in California. But that's California for ya.
  6. skwiggy

Yeah, it's pretty unlikely in Maryland I bet. :(
  7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I would not expect it to be covered. But I did it for quite some time a few years ago. Really really energizing. It is something you have to stick with for quite awhile to get the full benefits. But in the end I found myself much for limber and pliable.
  8. skwiggy

I hear it is both expensive and painful. Was that your experience?

What prompted you to try it? And why did you stop?
  9. Larinda McRaven

yes and yes.
    I started because a good friend of mine was/is a rolfer. I stopped because I moved.
    It is not somethig you can do once or twice and expect results. So if you want to do it you have to be ready to follow through. And that is the expensive part. It is just painful in general. But the results were increased flexibilty and mobility, and wider range of fine motor control, and better posture.
  10. motardmom

motardmom New Member

My eyes played tricks on me. I read "Rofling" and thought, "internet laugh therapy? Cool!"

My bad. rofl
  11. Larinda McRaven

12. QPO

QPO New Member

I have never heard of it, We have something called Bowen therapy I wonder if it is similar
  13. Laura

Laura New Member

The goals might be similar but the methods feel different. Rolfing feels like a very vigorous and hard very deep form of massage. Newcomers to it sometimes find it to be painful at first. Bowen therapy, based on what I read on a few web sites, is quite gentle by comparison, and sounds more akin to Feldenkrais.
  14. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

When I was younger, I spent many an early Sunday morning rolfing. Eventually I learned to not stay away from tequila shots.
  15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

:cool:

16. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

methinks he's drinking the wrong kind of tequila :cool:
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i haven't been rolfed, but i've been working with shortened fascia and lemme tell ya... that stuff hurts. i think rolfing will hurt to the extent that one's fascia needs deep restoration.
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

right outa my mind...
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

well...scheduled my first rolfing session. cheaper than the meridian training, which is nice. am very psyched...
  20. hustleNflow

hustleNflow New Member

Ditto, nucat...I did quite a bit of rolfing in my sorority days...but not so much anymore :cool: