Dancers Anonymous > Rolfing

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by skwiggy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I've never been the "one with the universe" type myself, either. But I am getting there now. Apologies all round if that sounds to woo-woo, but it just makes sense that if there's more information moving through me, it has to come from somewhere.

And, like you, I find that rolfing makes me more aware of my body, how it feels. Not just to move, but how it, the body itself, separately from my mind, perceives, how it has its own intelligence, its own way of being in the world.

2. j_alexandra

I'll Take Door 3. Massively good [stuff].

The meat. Not meat. Muscle, bone, fascia, tendons, all the physical stuff that makes up my body. The Meat.

<snort>

Oooh, neat insight, and what an interesting place for it to come from! Never had a piercing, never had the urge, but I can see that it could be an opening (pun very much intended) to a new way of thinking about the body.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

for all the "woo-woo" talk... it just *seems* woo-woo until the logic & rationale of it is understood. :)

it's a powerful thing to experience harmony, balance, freedom, and the ability to experience the natural forces of life move through you more organically, as compared to a previous capacity. and that is was rolfing does... increase (or restore) the capacity for these things. the shift can feel mind-blowing and inexplicably domino-effected through many aspects of life and, therefore, "woo-woo". :D

but it's not inexplicable. we just rarely pay attention to or realize how everything is connected, in our bodies, our emotions, our states of mind, and many other things. that's even what the fascia in the body symbolize on a level... that which connects everything, relates it, and holds it together. and it has a kind of memory quality, like memory foam. rolfing tweaks its memory to recall its most harmonious state.

4. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm not saying it's not real, or that it doesn't make sense on some sort of logical/theoretical level.

I'm just saying that since I haven't experienced it personally, it sounds very stoner-ish. Very, very stoner-ish. (It's kind of amusing that way. Other than this thread, I haven't heard people say these kinds of things except in a basement with some interesting [stuff] being passed around in various forms. LOL.)

You all know me...I'm the have-to-stick-my-fingers-in-the-wounds type. ;)

*inhales and holds breath* Here... *passes [stuff]*exhales*coughs explosively*

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lolz... yep. "mind open, heart enlarged, soul receptive... brah..." :D

thanks for not harshing my morning mellow...:cool:

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

want a shotgun? :eyebro;

7. j_alexandra

:uplaugh: TMI! TMI!

8. Peaches

Most hopefully not. Not lookin' to harsh anyone's mellow. That's just not cool.

9. Peaches

LOL. I can honestly say I have never once partaken. Ever. Only been present. Honestly! :)

10. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

:shock: waiting for a lightning bolt from Fasc....

11. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Don't EVEN look at me. :)

12. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Me neither...

13. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

OK, here is the question - does it make sense to do just one or two sessions of rolfing, like two days apart? Or should I just stick with deep tissue massage?

Here is the situation. I am planning to go to Colorado a few days early before the Starball, to acclimate and spend time with my family. I am driving up there (12 hours in two days, and unevenly split, too), that usually makes me tight, I'll need something done. Someone I personally know recommended a therapist who is also certified in rolfing. The "recommender" (is that a word?) said that the therapist is excellent, literally worked wonders on him, and he also suggested to get some rolfing done if I can. But I will only be there for just over a week, and I will spend 3 days dancing, so at most I can do rolfing 3 times (MW before the starball and possibly M after it). I don't know when I will be in Colorado next time, most likely in November the earliest, almost 5 months later.

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

it's possible what you're looking for is actually the deep tissue that weekend. the rolfing isn't generally a short-term fix, it's more a remediation plan over a series of continued visits, whether it follows the traditional 10 or is considered on-going.

it's also usually recommended at no more than the pace of once a week, because there's a kind of domino effect through the fascia connecting the body's structure... the work done one day needs time to "move up" through the rest of the body. i did my own rolfing series at a rate of 3 visits every 2 weeks, which is apparently considered quite speedy. but my body adjusted very quickly.

why not call the recommended rolfer and see what he/she says? :)

if you've never experienced it, i really do recommend it. :)

15. j_alexandra

I'd stick with deep tissue, in your situation. The Rolfing experience for me has been transformative over time. <insert broken record here> You might want to go to a Rolfer on a regular basis, once you're home. It has changed my life, particularly as a dancer, and I don't say that lightly.

16. tanya_the_dancer

The problem is that I don't have a rolfer nearby, so I can't really do it on a regular basis. I looked at the website someone posted here awhile ago and the closest rolfer to where I live was nearly 3 hours away. If I try to get some done whenever I visit Denver metro area, it will take me years to get 10 sessions in, because I go there once or twice a year at most. I think I am going to do deep tissue before the competition, but maybe I will put a rolfing session after it just to try it, I guess.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

tanya, if that's you're only chance in the near future to try it out, go for it! ask him to do your feet, ankles, and inner leg line. then pleez report back.

(JA will know what i mean, no doubt...:cool:)

18. j_alexandra

oh, yes <swoon>

19. tanya_the_dancer

I talked to the therapist and he said we can decide whether we do rolfing or deep tissue when I get there. So I'll see him in about 6 weeks.

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

good show. hope it all works out well for ya.