Dancers Anonymous > Rolfing

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by skwiggy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Thanks sam! I decided to write the post after talking to a couple of dance friends that have chronic injuries and one that mentioned an acute injury. I have spent literally thousands of dollars looking for relief from my pain and injuries. I was hoping to supply information that might save others some of the time and money it took me to figure out what components to check....

"Western" based medicine only offered surgery and physical therapy. One of which was totally unappealing and only to be considered as a last ditch effort, and the other of which did not help at all.

Even with the more "holistic" approaches, it has taken me time to figure out the different factors that can contribute to chronic pain due to past injury. I hope that what I've learned can help others, because the more time that goes by in a chronic state - the more actual damage you do to your body.

Why thank you doll! Of course the back side of that very same trait is what drives my dance pros nuts, I've got to figure everything out and put it in to a nice neat order....LOL!

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you would make an excellent and insightful instructor with that gift, though... :)

3. latingal

LOL....true dat, but my long suffering latin pro gets the brunt of it until that time. He is getting very good at rolling his eyes at me....

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

mebbe hit up the rolfer and good a masseur right before lessons, and you'll be too gah-gah'd out to let your thoughts get in your way. er...that and the famous pre-lesson tequila might get you outa your head.

:tongue:

5. latingal

LOL...thoughts? With any of those methods, standing up would be the problem.

6. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Beg to differ. I used to go to the Rolfer before my Tuesday lessons. I was always, always, freest and moved best on those lessons. I recommend pre-lesson rolfing wholeheartedly. IME, the first time my rolfer worked on my feet, I stood up and felt like someone else; my body simply did not respond to commands like "raise hand" "step forward" "swing hip" the way it had done an hour before. And it lasted, and lasted, and made for a magnificent lesson.

My advice: try it. You'll like it. It may change the entire paradigm of your lessons, though; it did mine.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Lolz...I was joking...but not really. Anything that can make you more relaxed and more "stupid" can be soooo valuable on the dance floor, because you care less, anticipate less, try less hard, have fewer *conscious* bearings and thus create less "static" or resistance. IMOE anyway... :) and any thing that points ones ship in that direction can be helpful, even as a temporary aid or one-offer.

Sleep deprivation and being under the weather can help give that experience too...where the conscious mind ceases to be so clever, allowing the brilliance of the subconcious to take over.

Anyway, I totally relate to the challenge of letting go of the analytical mind on the dance floor. Doing that feels so good, and making that transition to "dancing dumb is dancing smart" is one of my favorite aspects of my own continuing dance journey. :)

I remember when I went from dark brunette to very blonde, and suddenly I was "dancing blonde"...and so much better. Don't know why the shift started happening for me then, but my instructor noticed and we had a ruddy good laugh over it.

Anyway, I digress from the topic at hand.

I think rolfing can get those non-conscious channels of information flowing more freely throughout the entire body-mind system...that it works on levels beyond just the fascia, even as that is where the practitioner's hands access the body's information and current state.

8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Great thread.. lots of good information. I have felt for some time now that I always had something hurting...rolfing sounds like an excellent suggestion. A few questions: I was going to check in with a chiropractor and massage therapist first. Would you bypass this idea and go straight to rolfing?. Next question: how do I find a good rolfer? There are several in my city, is there anything I should look for to know if they are good? Finally, once the intial rolfing sessions are done, do I need to maintain a schedule or am I done?

9. j_alexandra

Um... yeah. Big time.

10. j_alexandra

Would I bypass chiro/massage? Yes; I did. How do you find a good rolfer? I don't know, other than word of mouth from people you trust, and whose opinions you value -- especially those who have had good bodywork. I got lucky; the close one was available, and magnificent. About the recommended number of sessions: that went out the window with me from minute one. The 10-session paradigm may work for people who have fewer and/or less severe issues than I, but I went once a week for over a year. Partly b/c it was so useful, partly b/c I enjoyed it so much, partly b/c the rolfer himself was so interesting. YMMV, of course.

11. latingal

If it were me, I'd probably start with the Rolfer....

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

each of those practitioners works on a different layer of the body, but the fascia which is the medium of the rolfer overlays & integrates everything. they can work together, if you have the funds, but if you have a chronic issue, like LG, rolfing would be my preference to get started.

search for one in your area at www.rolf.org. look for the highest credentialed practitioner in your area. that is what i did and i found someone just wonderful...perfect for me, anyway.

discuss with your practitioner -- there are different approaches, to fit your needs & budget. you can even do a "maintenance" one-a-month program thereafter. your rolfer can devise a plan that works for you.

report back if you go! :)

13. latingal

As sam mentioned, and what seems to have fit my experience was, the fascia is important as it integrates the different layers of the body. It can get stuck and hold the muscles/bones in mis-alignment - so although I got temporary relief with chiro type techniques and deep tissue massage, it never fixed the problem and the pain always came back (and in fact continued to get worse).

The rolfer I used looked at the body as a whole; how the bones (and internal organs) were aligning, how I was holding my weight over my feet, how the muscles were compressing or holding certain patterns, what muscles were working or not, etc.

He worked to release both the fascia and the muscle (not sure all rolfers release muscle, but he also has some training in ART so he could!) and gave me exercises to correct the compensatory patterns my muscles were using from an old injury and to compensate for the misalignments.

I'm hoping if you start with the Rolfing portion - and you get a top rate rolfer, you can avoid spending your funds on temporary fixes (I think they are helpful after the sessions with the rolfer).

14. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

I tried rolfing for a 10-month period back in 2010. Given the enthusiasm with which it’s received here, I have to say that I was disappointed that I didn’t find it to provide the kind of rejuvenation and release that others seem to have found. My rolfer asked me what I hoped to accomplish through rolfing, and I told him that I was hoping for freer movement especially through the shoulders, and better posture. He was quite experienced and told me that 99% of his clients came to him because they hoped to alleviate pain of some sort, and that very, very few came to him for aesthetic purposes. He had worked on athletes, especially runners, quite a bit. He forewarned me that, because I wasn’t vastly out of alignment, I was not going to see or feel enormous changes through rolfing, but that he could see a few things to address in foot/knee alignments, and in some tightness in my diaphragm area. We were both interested to find out if the sessions addressing areas of the body that are most likely to trigger emotional releases would have any effect on me. But, no, they didn’t. He said it’s probably because I haven’t held on to rotten stuff that’s happened in my life, so there’s not a lot to release. He had several exercises that he recommended to me, and I continue to do those pretty faithfully.

Now, even though I didn’t have the kind of breakthroughs with rolfing that others seem to have had, maybe the benefit in it for me has been to acquire an additional sense of body awareness and maybe that has prevented injuries that I otherwise would have sustained. So, I’m glad I did the sessions, but gee, I kind of feel as though I missed out on the deep stuff.

15. latingal

I think Cal, like you mentioned in your post and I mentioned in mine....it might depend a bit on where you are with your body and what you're looking to accomplish with rolfing..

I can't say I had any spiritual awakenings....but I'm pretty darn happy to get rid of pain. But it is a good point that you bring up that the benefit might have been prevention of injury for you...and not everybody should expect mind blowing experiences!