Salsa > Roll Call - LA Congress attendance!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by tj, Apr 4, 2005.

1. tj

tj New Member

Oh, you're going too? :wink:

2. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:doh: :lol:

3. tj

tj New Member

I was teasing... she's on the same flights as me.

Btw, I'm not planning on taking any of the workshops, so I'll be free during the day.

Any recommendations? (My only current must-do is a trip over to Thai Town.)

4. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

where are you staying and what (besides salsa) are you into?

5. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:doh: :doh: :doh: :lol: I think I should cancel my order for a crystal ball! Gee, I'm good! :lol: :banana: :lol:

I guessed you were teasing, but my "sources" did not mention that you were on the same flight :wink: :lol:

6. Leah

Leah New Member

your sources huh? :|
    tee hee

7. tj

tj New Member

Recommend stuff that you really enjoy, and I'll make decisions from that.

(It'll probably end up being a group decision since I'll be with friends.)

8. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Yes :wink: I probably shouldn't share this, but there is this squirrel that taps on my window and tells me "stuff" in exchange for walnuts :wink:

9. tj

tj New Member

Sabor?

:wink:

10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: Sabor has been called many things, but a squirrel? :nope:

11. Vin

Vin New Member

What I am curious about is how a "squirrel" is aware of gossip from the other side of the world.

12. Leah

Leah New Member

come on vin. this is a *magic squirrel.*

13. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:doh: Leah, I wonder if Vin has seen 101 Dalmations? :wink: The animals talked to each other, relying the information. The dolphins and the whales swam soooo swiftly! :lol:

Vin, you see this emoticon :arrow: :wink: it tells a million stories :wink: :lol:

14. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

this is LA. we've got a little bit of everything here. plus southern california encompasses parts of 4-5 counties - you will need to account for travel time here for anything not near the airport - the most direct route to thai town (east hollywood) is probably about a half hour one way - but with regular traffic could be more like 45 minutes to an hour. if you're up that way (thai town), a lot of folks like to go over to hollywood, see mann's chinese theater, etc.

if amusement parks interest you there is of course disneyland & knotts berry farm in orange county.

if you're into botany in any way, the huntiington gardens & library (about a mile from my home actually) has flora from all over the world categorized into desert, sub-tropical, etc. right now the roses (all different colors covering are starting to bloom & standing downwind is an amazing experience, but won't be as interesting by the end of may. the original huntington estate probably covers about 20 street blocks so you shouldn't expect to cover it all in a single visit. plus if you're into english/early american painters they have a collection here, most notable being gainsborough's "The Blue Boy" on display.

if you're into any other asian culture/cuisine, you can find it here.

if you want to stay relatively local, the getty museum is somewhat popular, or you can walk the boardwalk at venice beach & see the characters there.

i'm sure other folks here have recommendations of their own.

15. africana

africana New Member

oh I'l be there Thur-Mon as well.

And why does tsb tease us with his presence :lol: it's a roll call for LA CONGRESS not roll call for LA

16. TICA

TICA New Member

let's exchange photos or something before you get here! I'd love to get to meet you all!

17. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

put me down as a maybe??

Jeni

18. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Hey all !

Just breezing through to say I'll be there for LA. I knew Preko would have put me down already, but I felt the least I could do was drop by in person to say it myself.

And, well, especially since I wanted to ask if any DF follow might accept to embarass herself by accepting a dance with me, given that :

I have not been on DF for the past 4 to 6 months.
    I have not actually been dancing either for the past 6 months.
    I have not even been exercising for the past 6 months (ie : dont expect to see me on the beach ;) )

A Huntington dude ! Now that's a place I enjoy...

Do you by any chance know the brewery that's a block down from PCH ?
    I have not been able to come down to LA in the last 2 years exept for last years congress, but in the evening sun, I used to love reading on top of that brewery, of which I could never remeber the name for some reason...

19. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

PCH is miles long; you need to be a little more specific as to the location, although i assume you're referring to some place reasonably close to the airport (LAX).

20. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

ROFL !

I know PCH is miles long. And no, I'm not talking about a place "close" from the airport. I was actually talking about "Huntington Beach Beer Co." on main, downtown Huntington.

As far as I can remember, there is another place called "brewery" near buy, but no outdoor spot to read (or drink, if you run out of book :wink: ) on the upper level. (I don't think I've even spoted a shadow of any piece of brew-engineering material whatsoever down there...)

But as I thought you were living in Huntington and the place did not open that long ago (I want to say 10 years), I guess I imagined you'd think of the first place imediatly. My bad 8)