Salsa > Rueda

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by MadamSamba, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

Yeah, that is the great part of rueda, with a little tweaking of the move, you can incorporate it into your salsa dance. I even tend to break out the reuda holding pattern while dancing salsa to do the moves that I cant figure out how competely tweak into salsa style. Just dont do damme moves (uno).....most followers when dancing salsa dont appreciate being let go and you picking up a new dance partner when its not rueda! :wink:

2. angelbaby

angelbaby New Member

hi all :)

have been learning rueda for last couple of months. loved beginner workshop and learned each step taught. only now they didnt continue with any beginner tuition and the group just tends to dance with calls i never even heard of let alone have learned. is not so bad as i a follow but feel for my partner who is a lead! group says just join in and do what you can and you will pick it up. i have suggested that having a beginner class and teaching step by step is better but until then.... what the heck i'll just whizz around the circle as best i can and try not to laugh out loud too much when the others are all so seriously focussed on remembering something i never even seen before.

mostly the group is friendly; well actually they all friendly - but some are very bossy and they arent the teachers :wink: seems like too many chiefs..... sometimes (not meaning to be culturally offensive by this) do others find this?

3. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Yes, unfortunately you'll find that everywhere you go. Everyone wants to be a chief when they really should be an indian. 8) Welcome Angelbaby! Happy to have you here. :D

4. angelbaby

angelbaby New Member

Cheers :) Happy to be here.

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Good for doing switches. I've done that. Gone and grabbed another person's follower and he grabs mine. :wink: :)

6. Sagitta

Another rueda lover. Cool. :D

7. angelbaby

angelbaby New Member

can be a bit tricky re knowing whether to join a circle - or not. is ok for me as a follow but not so easy for my partner as a lead (as others here have noted). last night he chose not to join as last wk there were a lot of moves we had not yet learned and he had felt like he was stuffing up the circle. so last night we just watched and then thought "oh great we know all those moves and could have joined in :cry: " then a little later "oh thank goodness we arent joined in as we def dont know how to do THAT or THAT! :shock: "

it is our usual reuda gp but we are the newest dancers to the gp. they are very understanding & happy for us to join in any time, but no-one likes to feel like they are stuffing it up for othrs. anyway off to another rueda class/party on the weekend - no doubt to polish up our sambrero or something :?

8. Sagitta

Sombrero, probably angelbaby. There are video clips out there that you can use to help remember and get an idea of the moves. I agree that as a follwer it is easier to join a rueda group.

My group has actually mentioned that they are interested in me learning to call well and pick a song to choreograph so each leader can call one choreographed song. This way it would be easier for us to do performances.

9. angelbaby

angelbaby New Member

rueda challenges

aaaagggghghghgh!!!!!!!! just left early from our rueda group again!! it just gets so chaotic and too many ppl telling ppl what to do and how to do it. we go to tango and it is just so nice and peaceful and considerate and rueda is more like a cattle herding. they actually started keeping to some order and carefully teaching the steps one by one and it was so good and now it is back to the old way again. we leave when it is no longer fun or enjoyable. seems like a wonderful dance to learn but we just have a couple of very overbearing experienced dancers in our group who take over. i admire the more peaceful ones who tolerate it and dont get stressed by it. me - i just have to get out of there fast!

sorry to gripe but thanks for listening :wink:

10. Sagitta

Pole sana Angelbaby. That is too bad. My problem is that I don't have teh time. :( I was asked if I wanted to pick a song and choreograph moves to it to perform this July at teh Ithaca festival, but I said no as I am so preoccupied with my Spanish class. :oops:

11. angelbaby

angelbaby New Member

hey sagitta - thanks for responding. am thinking i need to phone the ppl who organise the rueda and share my feelings. hey you might know too. with the setenta do you get all the way around (ie 360 degrees) in the first part of the turn or only 1/2 way around and then after the 2nd part of the turn get the rest of the way around to face into the circle again. ie after the first part of the turn are you facing into the circle again? does that make sense yet ? lol

12. angelbaby

angelbaby New Member

hey sagitta - thanks for responding. am thinking i need to phone the ppl who organise the rueda and share my feelings. hey you might know too. with the setenta do you get all the way around (ie 360 degrees) in the first part of the turn or only 1/2 way around and then after the 2nd part of the turn get the rest of the way around to face into the circle again. ie after the first part of the turn are you facing into the circle again? does that make sense yet ? lol

13. Sagitta

Setenta? I don't lie setenta because the dip my group likes to do. I like setenta complicado though...

After 8 beats you are facing each other. You need to do enchufle again to face the center once more.

14. jhb

jhb New Member

I have a question.

Why do some people call it "enchufLe" with an L? Maybe even most people. Is it a local pronciation from somewhere?

"enchufa" or "enchufe" means "plug in'.

15. Sagitta

The verb enchufar does mean to plug in. I just write without paying attention. I guess that the L is what people who don't know any spanish kind of hear. I do a little so I should be more careful. :oops:

16. jhb

jhb New Member

I've heard lots of people use it though, including Cubans, so I don't think it's a mistake! I've heard both, enchufa, and enchufla. I'm curious though where the L variation comes from.

17. Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious New Member

Maybe it could somehow come from enchúfala (plug her/it in). Just speculation. But enchufe would be the imperative/subjunctive and enchufa the indicative form, so they are both correct.

18. devane

devane New Member

Both enchufa and enchufla are fine.
    We use both in our class. The teacher is Cubana.

19. angelbaby

angelbaby New Member

thanks for setenta info. just noticed that the experienced dancers in our group were doing it 2 diff ways and theyare so very full on it is easier to ask it here!

just heard our tango this fortnight is going on until 6pm (usually ends at 4pm) and rueda goes from 6pm - 8pm. ummm what do i do? prob stay on at tango and join them for coffee after as rueda is just too unruly. shame. must get around to phoning the organiser to tell him how we feel. he is very calm and a good teacher. it is really just one woman who just gets so full on! she ends up calling out and telling the caller what to do! and my partner says this woman would not let him lead her in the setenta and just kept "strong arming" him and kept overriding the caller and re-calling setenta over and over and kept on over-ruling his lead. :twisted: he says he did what he did the same move the way he always does it with another experienced follow and she said he did it fine. :?

really must phone the organiser and just let him know. it has really put us off and most of the ppl (esp the men) are really lovely, gentle, fun ppl to dance with.

will ask more questions re other moves as they come up.
    thanks again :)

20. Sagitta

Anytime angelbaby. THere is more than one way to do a move, you know, and my group sometimes changes something simply in order to create a different effect...just making up as we go along... By the way I have noticed two rueda styles so far around here. The Cubans just go for it with their free flowing style while the Miami style is a lot mre structed, more gringo like. My group is slowly moving more and more towards the Cuban style. The sexuality of the moves is quite something... :wink: :)