Rule 21?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by iluvballroom, Mar 27, 2005.

1. iluvballroom

iluvballroom New Member

Does anyone know Rule 21? I was dancing and there was a tie for first place and it was broken by rule 21. I really want to know what it is. Because I want to prevent it for next time. Thanks alot!!
  2. Kitty

Kitty New Member

:lol:
    and how will you try to prevent it?
  3. iluvballroom

iluvballroom New Member

well if i know what it is then i will work on not doing what ever it is.
  4. Laura

Laura New Member

Humm, that's a new on one me. The scrutineering rules on the page I'm looking at only go up to 11.

Here's a description of the so-called skating system, used in dancesport judging (but, interestingly enough, not in skating any more).

Oh, and the only way you can prevent a tie is by dancing so well as compared to the other couples that the judges have no choice but to place you higher than the others.
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Doggone it. There's a long, long thread somewhere here about rule 10? 11? My memory's shot. It was basically the algorithm used to determine the winning couple in case of a tie, with prescribed responses to different scenarios. Maybe rule 21 is similar.

Anybody remember the name of that thread? :?
  6. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Rule 10/11 thread: http://www.dance-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=7444

To add to what Laura said, these rules are guidelines for the scrutineer who combines the judges marks to determine placements - they aren't the rules governing what competitors may and may not do.
  7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks, Chris. 8)
  8. Laura

Laura New Member

I just poked around with google for a while, and as far as I can tell, there is no such thing as rule 21 under the skating system that is used by IDSF-member organizations and WD&DSC-member organizations. What was the competition you were in and where was it held? Was it IDO-sanctioned, because I found some evidence that the IDO might use a different scoring system altogether.
  9. iluvballroom

iluvballroom New Member

well if there is no rule for 21 what is the rule for 11? Maybe that is it. I was a while ago. Thank you
  10. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

See the link to the whole thread on it a few posts up.
  11. Laura

Laura New Member

If you click on "description of the so-called skating system" in my post near the top of this thread, you'll also see a summary of how the scrutineering rules work.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

WTF, people, don't you know Rule 21 comes right after Rule 20? :D
  13. Egoist

Egoist Member

Maybe people will recognize it by its more common name: "The Blackjack Rule". If I remember correctly this rule states that ties will be decided in favor of the couple that wears the most make-up. Therefore, if you don't want to be beaten by the Blackjack Rule wear tons of make-up!
  14. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: You have GOT to be kidding me! Is this a clown contest or a ballroom comp? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Twilight Elena
  15. Laura

Laura New Member

It's a joke. The scrutineering rules for IDSF/USA Dance and WD&DSC/NDCA competitions only go up to 11. You can read them in full at the links provided in this thread.
  16. Egoist

Egoist Member

Me? Joke? Never!!!!

If anyone needs me I'll be at the World Series of Poker in Vegas.
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Aww, why'd you have to go and spoil our fun?
  18. Laura

Laura New Member

Because I can't stand to see people suffer.
  19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Bleedin' heart. :p
  20. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Laura, you're such a sweetheart! :D :D

Twilight Elena