Country and Western > Rumba in C&W Music

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by Spitfire, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Just wondering; has rumba crossed over into country and western like cha cha has? There are a number of country and western tunes that have the rhythm.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi spitfire! :D

I've only done a sort of rumba-esque thingie in C&W clubs. It's pretty informal and with no particular patterns -- but it fits the tempo and rhythm. No Latin motion. So I guess you could call it rumba.

Is anybody doing it on the competition circuit? I guess I could google one of the big C&W comps and see ... if I weren't too lazy. As it is, I'll wait for jon or Vince to check in. :roll: :lol:

3. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

I haven't seen the C&W rumba in a competition setting...yet. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, since the music's already there. Personally, I really don't get how can people do cha in boots! :shock:

4. dTas

dTas New Member

there are several C&W songs that fit the rumba rhythm... i don't know how well it will catch on in the C&W bars though. i think cowboys are too "manly" to be all "romantical" like that.

plus have to move their hips in any way that doesn't simulate riding a bull.

5. Spitfire

It's not a problem; I often wear boots when I go out dancing. :)

6. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

dTas: well, they already do the cha cha, and it has a bunch of those "unmanly" elements... :lol:

Spitfire: Finally, I can ask this! How do you do footwork?? I've been wondering for a loooong time.

7. pygmalion

Um. Just for the record, cowboys in bars get plenty romantical. :wink: :lol:

8. Spitfire

The same way as done with any footware; I've never had trouble dancing anything in boots.

Good way to break a new pair in. :wink:

9. pygmalion

And there are some pretty cool dance boots out there. Just ask Vince. He can wax poetical talking about them Evenin Stars. :wink: :lol:

10. dTas

dTas New Member

i have no doubt that cowboys get all romantical... but "latin romantical"?

who's more sexy a romantic cowboy or a latin lover. a romantic cowboy's all cute and all but i can't see boots, hat and wranglers doing cuban motion.

true they do cha cha but from my experience its a very toned down cha cha. more like a scuff or shuffle than a chasse'.

but then again, maybe times have changed from when i went country dancing.

11. pygmalion

Yeah. Anything involving Latin motion is out!!!! :lol:

12. Spitfire

When used for C&W music take the latin motion out when dancing cha-cha or rumba.

I was in a C&W cha cha class or two a few years back and nothing was ever mentioned about latin motion.

13. new-ish

new-ish New Member

Do I want to know the difference between "Manly Moves" vs. "Un-Manly Moves" I mean I just got the shoulder shimmy figured out 8)

14. jon

jon Member

I think any move normally involving body parts men don't have is likely to be considered in the UM category.