Dancers Anonymous > Running club anyone?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by africana, Jul 20, 2005.

1. africana

africana New Member

I can't seem to motivate myself to run as often as I used to.
    I did manage to get at 6am to do 3miles today 8) (although I usually do 4 in 40mins when in better shape)

Anyone else run? Of course going out dancing disrupts the schedule as I'm too sleepy to make it out the next day. I'm considering taking a break from dancing just to make sure I run in the mornings - but it's tough to wake up that early!

I think running is the quickest way to build my endurance and stamina, stay in shape, especially for dancing (don't need as many energy drinks ;) )
    I need some more motivation

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

hmmm...used to run quite a bit, but right now I cannot even join you as I'm taking a week off from dancing to rest my feet. You prefer running outdoors, or run on an indoor eliptical/treadmill?

Running is great outdoors if you have a good surface. If you run on concrete , though, you'll get bad knees like me.

3. africana

africana New Member

Yeah I have had knee issues lately too. I usually run outdoors, on mostly concrete ugh. I try to mix it up with hiking/jogging on non-paved areas, although that can be tougher in very steep and hilly areas.

I do have access to a running track (about 2 miles away from my house) and a gym close by but for some reason it's boring to run round and round on it. I can usually only do 1-2 miles on track or in-place trainers (elliptical or threadmill) it gets mind-numbing even with music

but running outdoors you have to get back home somehow :lol: so you keep running

to help the knees and shins, I sometimes take a break to stretch, sometimes it helps

4. Leah

Leah New Member

hey africana,

i am with you. i run regularly, though i have been very lazy over the past year or two. within the past few weeks i have been getting back into it, and it is HARD to balance with salsa! doing both in one day nearly knocks me out. but on the other side of the coin, getting stronger makes those spins so much smoother, and back-to-back dances so much easier.

one nice thing is that if i am running regularly, i feel i can go and dance without feeling so "achievement-oriented" about it. i've done my duty for the day, so if the club is boiling hot and i just want to sit and chill with my friends, i can.

how to balance it? i've cut back on dancing and horseback riding, down to 2-3 days a week. stinks, but i think it is worth it, since i am in better shape for it and enjoy it more. also, i find i have to run first thing in the morning, at least 5 days a week, else i lose motivation, and then it's all downhill from there...

if i were in palo alto, i'd come running with you! do you have any running buddies out there? anyway, maybe we can just offer each other virtual support. :) good luck with it! L

5. africana

africana New Member

yeah I would usually run with a real "running club" in the mornings :) but it's summer and with fewer friends around it's hard to get people together.
    Plus I have an inflexible schedule where the time I would have spent running with those friends is now spent getting to work

It's hot in the evenings though, early evenings at least. hmm...maybe I can find people who want to run later, although I have pilates and sometimes attend other fitness classes in the evening
    I've also found myself falling asleep as soon I get back from work :oops:

Maybe we can set running dates: report on how far, for how long, where, etc

6. Ron Obvious

Ron Obvious New Member

I like running too, I'd run more if it didn't decrease my weight so much. I mean, for girls it's surely just all positive, but men require more, hmmm, masculine type of muscles, which you break down when running. But I like running much more than going to the gym - especially during summer.

Did a marathon a month ago. My first. It was fantastic.

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Congrats on the marathon!! :cheers: 8)

8. Leah

Leah New Member

Heh! My (male) housemate just complained of having this same problem. I say, cry me a river :roll: :wink:

But yes, congratulations on the marathon as well! :banana:

Africana, sorry about the inflexible work schedule. I can see how that'd be really difficult, especially when you are trying to fit this around weather patterns and late-night salsa. And 6AM is EARLY! Another option is to just leave the clubs earlier... (tho you live quite a ways, right?) or to dance primarily on weekends... so you can get a good night's rest

sure, why don't we report on our daily runs (and anyone else who wants to join in).

I joined my two lab advisors for a noontime run today (I have a fitness-conscious workplace - my supervisor just ran the pittsburgh triathalon and finished second in the female 50-54 age division!). It was hot as heck, and they both blew me away. I think I need to start practicing running faster....

So, 3 miles today. :) Took yesterday off and logged another 4 on Monday AM, so halfway through my 5 days for the week (optimistically speaking).

9. africana

africana New Member

Wow! nice Ron!!

I once did a 10K (6.2 miles) and swore "never again", and it took me over 70 minutes. I'm just not naturally talented at running, the best I ever do is a 9-10 minute mile

So Leah do you vary the terrain or just one route? I remember getting bored unless I went with friends then I could practice talking while running (which I also hate :evil: lol)

10. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

I am a regular runner - 5 times a week, usually. My dh and I go out every Saturday and Sunday morning for between 5 and 10 miles depending on the weather. We run three time during the week - usually after work. When the weather gets as hot as it is now (upper 90's) we get upat 5:00 am and head out the door.
    After a number of years, it just becomes habit. My dh has been running for probably 30 years, 17 marathons. I have been runnng for 16 or 17 years and have done 3 marathons, a number of half marathons, 20k's, a lot of 10k's or less.

It is easier to go out as a team. Neither one of us wants to say it is too hot, or too cold, or too early, or we are too tired, or too old.

11. africana

africana New Member

Ok that's serious motivation!! :applause:
    can you break me off a piece? haha
    now i know it's time to find my own dh (that means "dear husband" correct?)

I would like to get back up to 3 or more times a week, in addition to other activities - i agree about saving dancing for weekends leah, especially since I don't like being groggy at work anyway

12. chandra

chandra New Member

lol,
    I was thinking DH stood for dear hubby, or something :oops:

13. dnquark

dnquark New Member

Ran 5.3 mi in 90 deg heat yesterday in about 39 mins. Won't ever do it again. I think I'd be more motivated to run if I were back in the Bay Area... the weather's perfect for it. I guess once I have a real job I'd have to restrict running to weekends... Getting up at 5 am for anything is reserved for complete lunatics :)

14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Well... I can think of a few things to do at 5 AM... but running isn't one of em. :lol: :lol:

15. Leah

Leah New Member

When possible I try and run at Great Falls Park, which is nearby, as I like trails the best. Gives me obstacles and somethiing to think about, plus the scenery is amazing... one of the things I like most about DC.

Otherwise, I run around the neighborhood.... there is a paved bike trail nearby that runs from DC out thru Maryland (tho I do hate out and back routes), or else a loop around NIH... the latter especially when I run with people from work at noontime (which I should try and do more often as it is good schmoozing, but it is just TOO hot out right now!!!).

I have to admit, tho I have been tolerating it, I really HATE running in the suburbs. Trails, parks, woodlands, countryside, cities, are all great. Suburbs? BLEAH. I really do better with a running buddy in this case.

How about yourself? I hear Palo Alto is beautiful. I hear there are TONS of runners there too! Oh, California...

PS - was always wondering what "DH" stands for, myself.

16. Leah

Leah New Member

Ha, I concur!

Where are you living now, Dnquark?

17. dnquark

dnquark New Member

Central Jersey...

And I, for one, am unable to think of anything worth waking up at 5 for unless it's an organized trip to see the sunrize from a hill or a tower, or if you are living in the Bay Area and are heading up for a day of skiing at Tahoe. :)

18. etchuck

etchuck New Member

I used to run with a running fitness group here. We trained to run 5K's and 10K's. I haven't done it recently because it's just too humid/hot out here. I think I kick up a sweat walking after 2 minutes.

19. africana

africana New Member

there are LOTS of runners here, mostly lone folks, I see big groups once in a while (actually saw 2 this morning). the weather is beautiful :D great scenery, but it does get hot in the early evenings, mostly because the sun is very bright, and I haven't made the habit of running or exerting myself outside at that time

To do scenic trails with lots of variety would require a bit a driving from where I stay. I also want to hike a bit more, but with a group (last week a friend and I almost ran into some animal, probably a deer, but we turned back as we were in mountain lion territory ;) so definitely no solitary hiking for me lol)

20. HF

HF New Member

... just returning from my daily run because in the morning it was raining. I run 2 - 4 miles daily in the morning ... 2 miles if my gf runs with me (3 - 4 times a week), 4 miles if alone.

I don't run fast, I just do it for enjoying the air and the nature.