Dance Ads > Sacramento Swing Festival

Discussion in 'Dance Ads' started by d nice, Sep 5, 2003.

1. d nice

d nice New Member

The Sacramento Swing Festival September 19-21.

With special instructor Frankie Manning!
    24 hrs of dancing
    12 classes
    8 instructors
    4 dj's
    2 dances
    +______________
    $109

It's going to be a great time!

2. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

It sounds wonderful... I wish I could go! I hope you guys get a good turn out!

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

How do you go about setting up something like that? I'm toying around with ideas of dance-related things I can do (for fun and enlightenment, not profit), and that sounds like something I could do. (Not the dancing or the teaching part -- the inviting and organizing part. That's what I'm good at.)

I have a lot of experience with special events planning, from a former career. It's just a matter of getting tapped into the right dance network, right?

4. d nice

d nice New Member

Yes and no.

The best thing you can do is get a small select group of people to bounce ideas off of that are representative of your target audience. 9 times out of 10 those events that are put on by people who are not actively a member of their own target audience, the event suffers tremendously. It is possible to make money on events like these, it is hard. It requires a lot of experience and platinum connections.

Know where, when and how to advertise is also key.

If you want we can discuss this more in General Dance Discuission... start a thread entitled how to throw an event... unless you know specifically what dance you want to aim it at, in which case you may want to start it up in the appropriate forum.

5. pygmalion

d nice

Just so you know, I consider you a blessing in my life.

These are very good ideas. I think I will start a thread on how to throw an event. I've "thrown" many an event, in a former life. Business and career-related stuff. So I know what you mean about understanding your target market. Essential. But I suspect that dance is unqiue, in at least some ways.

Here's my thing -- this is an area where I think I can contribute something valuable and different, and have fun doing it. So I'm thinking about it.

Thanks for all your input. You will definitely be hearing from me.
    Jenn

6. pygmalion

I thought about this overnight, when I was repeatedly and desperately trying to log in and get my forums "fix." :lol:

Yes, sponsorship does make it easier to break even on these events, and it's relatively easy to get, if you have the nerve to ask. Most large corporations have money set aside for community events, and they love getting their name out.

There's a lot less money available than five or ten years ago, but's there's still money to be had. Also, smaller companies tend to give in-kind contributions -- printing services, or door prizes, for example.

But you have to be prepared with a good business plan, a clear vision/statement of how your event will help the community, and a clear, reasonable and concise budget. Then it's just a matter of asking.

7. pygmalion

Hey! Mr. nice!

How's it going this week? The festival is this weekend, not? What's going on? Are you swamped? Hope all's well. :D

Jenn

8. pygmalion

Good luck, d nice. Check in after, and let us know how it went. Okay? :D