Salsa > Salsa’s Big Lie

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by afroarabano, May 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

speaking of british music sweavo, i grew up playing rock &roll on the quitar in the 70"s, of course we palyed british and american music, now the brits aways gave thanks to the american artists(black &white ) for the infuence they had on thier music, ok cool, but damm! bristish music to me never sounded american its so unique, super cool, i mean really who does not like zepplin or framton, pink floyd etc etc if you like rock &roll. that being said, true we here in america started certain types of music, but others took the grooves and made them thier own, and i think its great, i liken this too salsa, sure we dont take away respect for the (founders) but this it why people in my opinion should let this stuff go and enjoy dancing for dancing sake.you dont have too be italian to enjoy pizza...

2. Andresito

Andresito Member

Very true ! :)

And I am thankful the european girls love salsa, I couldn't be happier ;)

3. RumbaRumbera

RumbaRumbera New Member

It’s called being trendy. This happens to many music/dance “scenes.” It happened to hip hop a few years ago and today, it is happening in the electronic/trance/deep house music scene, as well as in the salsa/Latin music scene. (Anyone remember the 1980 movie Urban Cowboy and the surge in country and western music/dancing? I’ll bet all those who grew up on C & W music and dance were annoyed by that!) Trend seekers are too busy chasing after the latest trend/fad to be culturally appreciative of or connected to their latest interest, so they frequently introduce negative values and qualities to the scene. Fortunately, the “many who drop out” of salsa, including some of the latest self-appointed “instructors,” will be the trend seekers who with their “mild ADD,” are bored with salsa and in need of the latest trendy fad to latch onto. Easy come, easy go.

4. dance234

dance234 New Member

I agreed with everything in the full post Silver made, except for what I excerpted above. The TV shows and high-visibility comps are a result of the popularity of partner dancing, which has been growing - not the cause thereof. There have been little nodules of interest in various styles that have had small explosions, and i think those explosions made possible the pitching and success of the shows on a mass market level.

One nodule is salsa, which is partially motored by the increasing visibility of Latin cultural products. Tango, ballroom and swing also have their own little webs of interest, with a film or two each and Exposure Moments that capture the ADD-addled popular gaze for a few moments, before it looks to the next thing. Each community can be small, but put them all together, add the mania for reality and competitive reality television programming, and there are enough potential viewers to get a show like SYTYCD on TV.

5. jamin1

jamin1 New Member

I think you mean LA style? The NYC style that I am familiar with does not have big moves at all nor does it require a lot of space to do it.

Jamin
    www.skymambo.com

6. Don Silver

Don Silver Member

I'm fine with that... But living in LA I heard someone in the TV business say the first one of this series (I think it was the Fox show) was originally a summer replacement show, and the overall success caught them by surprise. The network had NOT planned on it continuing beyond the summer. They had to scramble to get more shows available for air...

Anyway, I think they reinforced each other so we are saying the same thing. The market was ready for the shows, then the shows expanded the market because people like my Mom thinks those shows are great. (She wasn't interested in dancing but now thinks it's wonderful that I "do that stuff they do on TV...")

I believe the shows have EXPANDED the people getting started, and I agree with you that the market had already grown so the shows just pushed the ball that was already rolling.

7. Don Silver

Don Silver Member

I agree with that... the ADD crowd will stay interested as long as the trend is strong and the will move to the next dance as it's popularity grows. For those of us who love it, hopefully it will remain popular enough to sustain a wide set of clubs. Music, food and dance tend to morph over the years, and it isn't always in a positive direction from my point of view. And what is left will be different than today's version of salsa.

What is popular today is rarely the rage a decade from now. Thankfully some of the ties I used to like in the 80's are coming back in style. :)

8. dancedude314

dancedude314 New Member

You continue to top yourself in this thread with ridiculous statements. You should be flattered that other people are taking an interest in Latin dance, not offended because they don't hear the music as well as you do. Part of enjoying life is trying new things, and often that entails participating in activities that come from other cultures. We should embrace this kind of multiculturalism, rather than dismiss curious newcomers for their lack of authenticity.

I cannot comprehend why you take so much interest in how other people around you dance. No one is stopping you from dancing in whatever style you wish. Being new to salsa, I probably lack that elusive "sabor" in most of my movements. But I take considerable pains not to get in anyone's way, I pay the cover to get into the club, and I give a decent tip to the valet. Since I have the same right to patronize the club as anyone else, I fail to see how my activities should be of any concern to you.

You seem to have a particularly negative opinion of people who attend a few salsa lessons because it's popular, and then decide it's not for them. I would guess from your comments that you view this as some sign of frivolity on their part. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but most people are not interested in devoting large portions of their time and thought to dance. Of course when a particular style of dance is popular, more people are going to take the time to check out what all the fuss is about. In so doing, some people will fall in love with it, some people will be modestly entertained, and some people will shrug their shoulders and walk the other way. This is an entirely normal part of social behavior, and similar spurts of interest can be observed in other disciplines.

Don't ever forget that the few dancers who can make a living out of their craft are able to do so because dancing is an activity that attracts the interest of the public at large. But maybe that's not your chief concern. I gather that you are more interested in sustaining the salsa club's cultural authenticity. Very well, but you should be aware that some cities (New York at least) have flirted with cabaret laws that threaten the very existence of some of these institutions. Now, which city councilman or councilwoman do you think is going to be more sympathetic to keeping dance clubs operational? The one who took a few salsa lessons, or the one who didn't?

My main point here is that the benefits of any sort of cross-cultural contact far outweigh the extremely subjective stylistic objections you have asserted.

9. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Nicely put-- just to reinforce your viewpoint, there is no one who is more interested in sustaining the " authenticity " than I, in the genres that I.
    teach ( and dance ) .

Have lived and taught, thru all of these " flash in the pan " moments( for more yrs than I care to remember ), and ALL teachers will say-- thank g-- for those moments !!

Our business is driven , by and large, by trends . We are all well aware, that when new people attend classes, the attrition rate , on attendance ,is monumental . The upside of this ?--- there are always that determined few, who continue on, and add to the growing numbers .

As a teacher, I realise that 98% will never be more than average, at best .
    Thats OK!! .We never know, from the classes we teach, what " nuggets " will emerge .

10. Andresito

Andresito Member

DanceDude. I agree with you.

I am a Latin. I have been an inmigrant for a long time and I know what is to be not welcomed and rejected as a foreigner of a different culture.

It is true, some people and clubs are not "authentic" but this rarely bothers me.

I didn't danced that much at home, in Miami and here I took some lessons to learn the technical part of the moves, and I do them with a lot of "authenticity" and "Sabor" that means flavor, taste, so I put my latin spice in the dance and I get a technical and flashy but yet "authentic" style plenty of dynamic and latin taste.

I go out and dance with all the girls I can. Some like my style, some don't. to each its own. I am happy to share my joy and my love with the ones that want it. And I am happy that this Salsa wave has taken the world by storm. Now I can go out in any city to a dance club and feel good and welcome.

So as a Latin I tell you, you are all welcome, and I am very happy to see so much people interested on my culture.

11. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

NOW HEAR THIS (now really i"snt that wonderfull? we need more Andresito"s and Boriken"s...And as a side note i agree with Tangotime

12. RumbaRumbera

RumbaRumbera New Member

After previous criticisms regarding my post, I made a real effort with this latest post to express my opinion in a matter consistent with the guidelines of this forum. In that spirit, my latest post was not personally directed at you or anyone else, but apparently I cannot say the same about yours. It is my understanding that name calling ("you" this and "you" that and "ridiculous") and personal attacks are not consistent with the guidelines of this forum.

13. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

i agree with r/r.

14. dancedude314

dancedude314 New Member

Indeed, I posted in direct response to a number of criticisms you have elaborated on in this forum. If you revisit my post, you'll notice that I never attacked you personally, although I did describe your *opinions* as being ridiculous. But I didn't just leave it at that--I went on to explain exactly why I disagreed with you. You were free to object to any of the remarks that I made. But instead of addressing any of my points, you've chosen to call "foul" and hide behind the forum guidelines. Well, that's fine too, but I think it sheds some light on the substance behind your criticisms.

15. tj

tj New Member

I'll leave the posts up for the next few days, so that the responses can be read. Otherwise, I consider the matter closed, and I ask that people please refrain from continuing a flamewar. Thank you.

Again, posters are reminded to please abide by the forum guidelines, and the following points are particularly relevant:

1. Members make up the dance forums and members are the most important part of all, with friendly and active participation strongly encouraged. We want your experience here to be enjoyable and informative.

2. The Dance Forums aims to provide quality information about partner dancing of all kinds in a friendly and supportive environment. We strive to answer every question or try our best to find the answer and, in order to ensure the quality of information provided on the Dance Forums, we strongly discourage speculation and gossip. In order to keep the Dance Forums clear of any controversy we attempt to avoid being party to any unsubstantiated claims.

3. All dance related topics and perspectives are welcome and we encourage a dynamic environment with debates, news, and personal stories. At the same time, all materials need to be appropriate for most readers including young dancers. Members of the Dance Forums may be as young as 13 and it is important that materials unsuited for children of this age not be posted on the Dance Forums.

4. Please do not engage in name calling, attacks on a person's character, or profanity (no matter how subtle – we take all such activities seriously). Please report abusive behavior to a moderator. Please don't attempt to debate such posts. Penalties for abusive behavior may result in deletion of your username and posts, or banning your IP address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.