Salsa > Salsa (and related) Recordings 2003/2004

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by HothouseSalsero, Mar 6, 2004.

1. I'd like this to be a thread for talking about salsa and related music recordings that came out in 2003 or that have come out this year (or will come out later this year).

I'm not going to attempt to write actual reviews, but here are my responss to some of the recordings I heard last year:

Eddie Palmieri: Ritmo Caliente. By far, my favorite track was the remake of his old song "Lo Que Triago es Sabroso." Other than that, I like the first songs, "La Voz del Caribe" (though it sounds a little too familiar--too much the standard Palmieri sound of the last few years), and a cha cha cha (or something like that) somewhere near the middle. Otherwise, it's not something I have any real desire to listen to, but I'm not a big fan of most Latin jazz. This CD made a lot of Latin music "best of the year" lists, but I don't see it. (On the other hand, maybe it didn't have that much competition.)

Los Soneros del Barrio: Siguiendo la Tradicion. Honestly, I was disappointed with this as well. The first two sons do a lot for me, but after that it's kind of blah. It's not bad, but it doesn't excite me. I can't point to anything specific that I don't like about Frankie Vasquez's singing style, but I can't get into it.

Yerba Buena: President Alien. Not really salsa. A mixture of Afro-Cuban and other Latin American rhythms with hip-hop and other stuff. Once again, I was disappointed. Some of the rapping seems a little strained for me. It has some good moments, but not my sort of thing. (I'm actually pretty down on rap, in general, but on the other hand, I think I was enough of a fan at one point to make some sort of judgment.)

Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban: Mambo Sinuendo. Not exactly salsa either. I listened to this a few times, but I'm afraid I found it pretty boring.

Elio Villafranca: Incantations/Encantaciones. Latin jazz. Predictably, I was not that taken with it. I have seen Elio Villafranca play live about three times, since he lives in the area, and he's an amazing musician. But he's very enthusiastic about jazz.

My favorite Latin CD of 2003 was a collection of previously released material: Lost Classic of Salsa Vol.1. This pulls together things that were originally released in small quantities on small labels (back in the 70's I think). There's not a single track on this that I feel the desire to skip over. Some of it may be a little rough around the edges, but I like it. (It's definitely a bit lo-fi at times, since I don't think they were able to find the master recordings for any of this.)

2. One that I haven't heard yet in its entirety is El Gran Combo's Salsa Classics Revisited. These are Gran Combo songs remixed by djs (with Alfredo de La Fe adding some violin at times). I'm pretty sure I heard at least one song from this in a club last time I went out and it sounded good. As long as the remix doesn't subvert the rhythm to the point where you can't dance salsa to it, I am willing to keep an open mind.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this topic, HotHouseSalsero. Since I'm lookinh to learn, I'll keep an eye on this one. 8) :D

4. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Yeah, I have this CD. I generally listen to it when I'm in my intellectual mode. (Whatever that means) 8) My favorite is "La Voz del Caribe" which I love as well. But the rest is more latin jazz concept music. He also mixes latin rhythms with classical music, "Gigue (Bach Goes Bata)" which is pretty cool.

I haven't purchased this one because I only like one song, "Guajira (I love You Too Much)". (This is also a free download at amazon.com) I must say that while watching Yerba Buena perform this song was amazing. There's is alot great energy is this group. I really like them but the CD only has one song that appeals to me. :?

5. danceguy

danceguy New Member

This is a great CD...I just bought it a few weeks ago and have really enjoyed it. The first tune on the CD always makes me get up and start dancing, although I've yet to hear it when I'm out in the clubs. :(

SG

6. The usual suspects.

There's a new Sonora Poncena CD. I heard one cut from it last night, and liked what I heard.

Victor Manuelle's new CD is out. Again, heard a cut from it last night. It was okay. I think he needs some sort of change of pace. It seems like almost everyone has been saying that he is stuck in a rut for the last four or five albums.

There's also a new Joe Arroyo, which hopefully will mostly be salsa.

7. Vin

Vin New Member

I think the Cha Cha on Ritmo Caliente that you are talking about is Lazaro y el Microfono, by far my favorite track on this cd. I do also like lo que traigo es sabroso but I actually like the title track better.

8. aragonh

aragonh New Member

This Album didnt come out in 2003 but . . . .

Hi to all,

I just happened to come about this site and i think its cool.

Anyways, the album Im thinking of is:
    Susie Hansen - The Salsa Never Ends

It came out in Aug 2002 but I first heard it in Feb 2003. While most of the songs will fall under latin jazz, the one song that makes this album a hit is the salsa song:

La salsa nunca se acaba.

That is just an awesome song to dance to.

Aragon H

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi Aragon. Welcome. 8) :D

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the Forums aragonh! :D

11. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Re: This Album didnt come out in 2003 but . . . .

Aragon H, welcome!
    I wonder if this is the song that goes "Suena la clave, suena el bongo..." (or something like that -- I don't speak Spanish) in the intro? I've been meaning to track down the artist of this song. If it is the song, I'd like to add my vote and say it's brilliant. If not... can anyone help?

12. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I've only started collecting salsa music recently, but can I mention:

Salsa Celtica: El Agua De La Vida
    I wouldn't say all the tracks in it are great, but there are some truly good ones. Maestro and Ave Maria De Escocia Medley (minus first 2 minutes) get played a lot here in Scotland (home of Salsa Celtica of course) and are both great floor fillers. I also love the whisky-fuelled :)wink:) title track.

Orquesta La Palabra: Breakthrough
    I haven't got the CD yet (Amazon UK hasn't got it -- I think I will have to buy it from the US) but I like the tracks I've heard. My favourites are Mi Nueva York and Y Yo Va Pa' Shenzhen.

I'm a big Africando fan and love their album Mandali, but I've heard that their new album Martina is even better. True?

13. cupojoe2

cupojoe2 New Member

This is one of the reasons I moved to a mp3 player and downloading just the one or two songs I enjoy. I just grew tired of paying $10-$15 (US) for a CD with 1 or 2 good songs on it.

14. aragonh

aragonh New Member

Re: This Album didnt come out in 2003 but . . . .

Yes it is.
    :)

15. I haven't heard Martina, but I don't understand Afrincado's appeal. Aside from the remix of "Yay Boy" I haven't heard anything by them that I like.

16. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I suppose, as you can probably tell from other recordings on my list, I like songs that sound a bit different from "plain vanilla salsa" :roll: when it comes to buying music rather than just dancing to it (I dance to anything :oops:). I liked African music before I took up salsa (ever since I heard Youssou Ndour's voice in Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes, er, -- oh dear, that's 17 years ago!), so Africando to me represent a happy marriage of two music styles I like. The same goes to Salsa Celtica.

17. Vin

Vin New Member

One from 2002 that I just got, The Spanish Harlem Orchestra,
    Un gran dia en el Barrio. Excellent CD, My personal favorite is La Musica es Mi Vida, but every song is great, a couple of Cha-Cha's as well to mix it up.

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Revisting the music threads this weekend...and I too like Africando for teh reasons you mention MacMoto. The reason that I was drawn to salsa was due to the African rhythms. I didn't really dance when young but I grew up in Africa and I could hear the african influence that came from the background muisc of my youth, unlike swing music.

19. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

They (Africando) played at this weekend's LA salsa congress. I'll be interested to see what the DF members in attendance have to say about them listening/dancing to them live.

20. Pacion

Pacion New Member

They (Africando) :wink: played in London on Wednesday gone, on their way to LA. I really enjoyed them but there were issues with the venue and I think they started their set late, as they didn't play an encore or Aiysha :shock: :lol:

Oh, and one of the singers (very tall) had an amazingly deep speaking voice :kitty: I don't even remember him singing :oops: :lol:

It was an interesting experience because when I was dancing by myself, I found that I was really listening to the song and somehow, even though it was a song I had never heard, I was still hitting certain accents :banana: so it would be fair to say that I enjoyed myself :lol: