Salsa > Salsa (and related) Recordings 2003/2004

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by HothouseSalsero, Mar 6, 2004.

1. So does anyone else agree that 2004 has shaped up to be the best year for salsa releases, or at least mainstream salsa releases, since maybe 1999? Which maybe not be saying much, since it was kind of dry there for a while, but still, I find it encouraging.

I haven't really been out in the clubs or salsa parties this year though. What does it sound and feel like out there? I would think that if anything it sounds better. (There are always enough good new individual tracks at least to keep things moving. If this has been a pretty good year for albums, then there should be even more good tracks.)

I like the two songs I've heard from Tito Nieves' new CD. I confess that I like the one with La India and a couple reggaeton people.

There is a new Jimmy Bosch album. I'm not sure I've heard anything from it yet, but there is a fairly convincing buzz around it. I heard something good tonight from Edwin Bonilla that I think was from his new album.

2. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

The saddest part about Denver is the DJ's here don't have a clue! All this great music released in 2004 and ont one of them has played even a single track from any of these albums. I plan on changing that though 8)

I keep hearing great things about "El Avion De La Salsa" too (Jimmy Bosch), think I'm going to pick it up. I'm also picking up "Las Estrellas Del Pueblo" by Jazz Hamilton y Las Estrellas Del Pueblo. Keep hearing good stuff about it too.

3. Is the Jimmy Bosch actually out in the stores yet? I thought I saw that it wasn't available to October, but maybe that changed. (Obviously, there are review copies floating around.)

I'm not familiar with this other CD you mention. Is it salsa or Latin jazz?

4. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Jimmy comes out this Tuesday if I'm not mistaken. The other album is salsa.

5. I think I'm going to try not to buy another salsa CD until I've gone out (salsa) dancing at least four times. It may seem kind of weird to have to use rewards for going out, but I need to rediscove the fact that it is its own reward. Once I get out of a habit that has a social dimension, it's easy for me to retreat into hermit-dom.

(I do have other things I need to focus on more, but this is ridiculous--I probably haven't been out dancing since February.)

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

:shock: I'm still reeling!!

7. Oh, I'm sorry I said anything about it, really.

8. Sagitta

Don't be. I'm just glad that you are going to venture outside once more. I have quite a few people for whom dance is not really doing it for them anymore, in the various dances from salsa, to swing, ballroom and Argentine tango. Not sure what it is. PLus the last few dances have been sparsely attended, starting from the Tuesday latin night. I'm just wondering what is going on. :?

9. It's not that dancing isn't doing it for me anymore, it's that life is doing it to me again. Anyway, I overreacted, but it's better for me not to talk about it. I'm basically very unhappy with my life, and the problems are in areas of life where dancing doesn't help.

10. Sagitta

Okay. I know, however, that talking with friends has helped me out, often, even when I never thought it would. Something to consider.

And back to the topic of salsa recordings...It is a given that the clubs won't play the good music, and new or different music. I'm not suprised that a lot of 2004 recordings are not played. That's what the house parties are for, for me. For isntance, take some old recordings like Juan Luis Guerra and Orquesta Guayacan. Not played, but almost every night I still hear Ya Boy by Africando. :-(

11. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Aisha

I fell in love with a song called Aicha. There is one recording made by a Danish group called Outlandish. But I believe the first recording was made by someone else. Does anyone know the name of the original group?

/Luc

12. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Re: Aisha

The original song is by Khaled, an Algerian singer based (I believe) in Paris. You can hear audio clips of the song here:
    http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=1187479

Africando made a salsa version of this song, which was a big hit.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000DD6Q/102-0640112-3140112?v=glance
    This was the version of Aicha I heard first -- people who heard the original first say they killed it, but I love the Africando version.

Luc, do you know if there are any clips of the Danish version of the song?

13. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Tanks McMoto!

Here you will find the Danish version. http://www.outlandmoro.dk/elmoro.htm

It's videoclips from a live consert. høj means broadband. lav means modem (RealPlayer)

/luc

14. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

MacMoto,

I love both recordings. I want to buy them both. But I believe the recording I heard was in Spanish. Could it be true?

/Lucretia

15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

What an eerie coincidence! I have Khaled's CD in my car now and it has the song "Aicha" on it. (French)

16. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I've never come across a Spanish version of the song. It doesn't mean it doesn't exist though.

I like Khaled's version too, although it's not very danceable (I suppose you can dance something to it -- any suggestion? -- but not salsa).

17. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

After a few more listenings .....yes it was Africandos recording. I will buy Baloba tomorrow. It seems to be a lot more of dancable salsa on that recording.

(Yes it is awailable in Sweden at Bengans in Gothenburg )

Thanks!

/luc

18. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Then you are luckier than I am -- I've never seen Africando CDs in shops in Scotland. Most CD shops only have a few salsa complilations, so I rely on the Internet for music buying. I was surprised to see the Spanish Harlem Orquestra's "Across 110th Street" in a shop in Glasgow the other day :shock:.

19. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

But you can buy Salsa Celtica?
    I cannot :cry: -

I hate to send my credit card number over internet so I never shop this way. I have tried to persuade Bengans recordshop to import it for me. But they tell me to go for internet shopping instead. :cry: Perhaps I one day send an order by fax to a recordshop at GB.

/Luc

20. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

MacMoto - do you have any good internet-recordshop-link to send me? The shop has to be placed in Europe (EU) to avoid tax/toll and other expences.

/Luc