Salsa > Salsa (and related) Recordings 2003/2004

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by HothouseSalsero, Mar 6, 2004.

1. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Well, CD shops in Scotland always have a "Scottish music" section, and that's where I usually find their CDs, not the "Latin music" section with other salsa recordings :lol:.

I've only used Amazon so far -- both Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com. I wasn't charged import duty/tax on the CDs I bought from Amazon.com because the amount was below the exemption limit. If you use Amazon's European sites (UK/Germany/France), there will be no duty/tax although the shipping charge will obviously be higher than for domestic deliveries.

2. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Heard the latest Sonora Carruseles album (my DJ friend's new acquisition). I like it :).

3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Guys- I order through Amazon as they have an amazing selection and order, at minimum, 6 CDs at a time and am not charged duties. They will have evrything you are looking for with many options of purchasing through other sellers at better prices(also offer used CDs). I don't get the CDs in one lump sum which is probably why I don't have to pay the tariffs. 8)

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Try islamusical.com coco. And half.com They sometimes have things that amazon doesn't, or they have things cheaper.

5. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

I will check these websites as well. A first glance at Amazone made me realize how cheap CD's are in Sweden. Including freight it will be more expensive than going to Bengans in Gothenburg. But Amazone has a lot of records Bengans doesn't have.

There is another recording I'm looking for. It is Magdalehna made by Sergio Mendez. I cannot find anything that fits. The only Sergio Mendes/Mendez I find seems to play a completely different kind of music. This song is a african-back-to-the-roots song. Lots of drums and vocals and not the big band style Sergi Mendez seems to play.

Does anyone know about this song?

/Luc

ps.
    Perhaps Africandos Aicha arrived just now ... I hear something on the groundfloor.....exciting.... a friend of mine promised to buy it for me today.

6. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

I think I have found it. It is spelled Magalenha and is found on Dance With Me (1998). His name is spelled Mendes.

/Lucretia

7. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I said I like it just a smidge better...a smidge! :lol: I think it's because it has more energy than Tito's. His version is more laid back. I love them both though!!

8. Has anyone heard the new Cuco Valoy CD? It's supposed to be salsa, merengue and reggaeton.

Also, there's a big intreview on descarga.com with Dorance Lorza, a verteran of the Colombian salsa scene who just put out a CD called Salsa Pa' Ti, which sounds like it should be interesting (his own spin on a vibes-based approach a la Joe Cuba).

9. More 2004 CDs:

Dorance Lorza & Sexteto Cafe: Salsa Pa' Ti

I mentioned this in my last post to this thread, and I've now heard it and consider it my #2 salsa CD pick from 2004. It includes a really distinctive cover of "El Negro Bembon." Very danceable overall (though so far I've only danced to it in my kitchen and livingroom).

Jimmy Bosch: El Avion de la Salsa

Hardly bad, but. . . I'm just not feeling most of the music coming out of the NYC salsa dura scene, including this. I'd like to hear Rey Bayona in a different setting. I just think New York based salsa bands have gotten kind of boring. (Maybe it's all the on-2 fundamentalism in the environment. :twisted: )

Diego Gale Presenta a King Bongo: Salsa y Descarga

Not recommended. The first track has dancehall and timba elements, not particularly well done to my ears (but I hardly like any timba--or dancehall for that matter, but in the case of dancehall I at least sometimes like it as a flavor added to salsa--see Grupo Niche). It seems as cranked out as it no doubt it. My favorite song is actually "Cumbia Boogaloo" which is mostly a cumbia. (Maybe because I haven't heard much of the genre, I'm less critical of cumbia songs when I hear them.)

Marc Anthony: Valio la Pena

(I waited to borrow this one from the library.) I like the title track, the last track ("Lamento Borincano"), and maybe "Ahora Quien," but I'm not sure I wouldn't say I really love any of them. I think I'm tired of Marc Anthony. The singing gets to be tedious, to me.)

Not salsa, but woth a mention:

Basically an expanded line-up of the band Grupo Cimarron: Si Soy Llanero: Joropo Music from the Orinoco Plains of Colombia. I don't think joropo will be conquering the international dance scene any time soon (certainly not in this relatively traditional form), but this CD is really hot. The singing is somewhat reminscent of flamenco. The rhythms are careening and intricate, and sometimes a harp takes the lead playing these very hot, fast rhythms. This is not your grandmother's harp music (unless she happened to be from certain parts of Latin America or an ethnomusicologist, or. . . And actually my grandmother liked Blondie.)

Oh, hi. Just checking in again, for now. I haven't lost interest in the music, or in salsa dancing. I've just had other things to focus on.

10. Despite slandering the current New York salsa scene, I do very much like Spanish Harlem Orchestra's cover of "Cuando te Vea," like youngsta. That's one that gets me up on my feet.

11. alemana

alemana New Member

the SHO record is great. i hope you don't suggest seriously that the salsa musicians in ny or anywhere else take which beat we cultish dancers break on when they write or record music - that's just silly.

12. I was thinking more of a what I perceive (as a pretty distant observer) as an overall NYC salsa atmosphere of knowing what the one true salsa is and should be. But the fact that Jimmy Delgado, for instance, has taken sides in the on1/on2 suggests that musicians aren't above the fray. I don't think it's far-fetched to think that musicians who regularly play live salsa for a heavily on2 crowd might not emphasize the more mamboesque side of the music.

13. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: I am guessing it is from this album but there is a song I have been hearing recently here in London and I absolutely love it :banana: :lol:

His songs (and Victor Manuelle's) allow you (me!) to go into the heartzone without having to be on the alert for being spun 20 times in a row :? :lol:

14. alemana

alemana New Member

it's pretty funny to hear an argument about what new york salsa musicians ostensibly think about the on-2 scene because the on-2 scene has very little, if nothing, to do with the live music scene. they are largely separate worlds.

most of us overwhelmingly prefer a DJ, usually one we know and trust. i happen to have fallen for latin music before i learned to dance, but i never go to a salsa show expecting to dance.

in the summer there are lots of outdoor dancing events with bands, but almost invariably they don't understand how to play for dancers. personally i almost always wish they'd take their break already so the DJ can spin.

15. alemana

alemana New Member

and moreover, even if we're not talking LIVE music, the records of contemporary new york salsa bands don't get played at the dances i attend... the on-2 crowd simply isn't the target consumer of this music. for instance, i have never heard Spanish Harlem Orchestra (to my mild dismay, cuz i like them) at a Sunday social or in a class, ever.

what i DO hear are decades-old El Gran Combo tunes. a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.

new york dj steve shaw has an excellent discussion of all this over on salsanewyork.com, if you're interested.

16. Well, I salute the taste of people playing and listening to decades-old El Gran Combo songs. That band continues to amaze me, and their songs from the past do seem to hold up exceptionally well for dancing, maybe because El Gran Combo is so focused on being a dance band.

Will check out that discussion.

17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I know. It is so sad when a dj can please dancers better with canned music then a live band can. :? Like the band playing at my regular Tuesday venue tomorrow night. Not going.

18. aragonh

aragonh New Member

I too prefer a DJ, but it has too be a good DJ. There so many bad DJs out there.

However, any day, I prefere a Good Live Band. Especially if they know how to improv. I remember in 2003 (or was it 2004) when El Gran Combo played Timbalero. They extended that for an extra 5+ minutes. It was just awesome!!!

Also, Eddie Palmieri's La Perfecta II was just awesome live.

19. Anthony Blea y Su Charanga

Has anyone else heard the Anthony Blea y Su Charanga CD from last year, Virgen de la Caridad. As I've said elsewhere, I don't generally like charanga (although there are enough exceptions, that I'm willing to keep trying it out). But this CD has some amazing stuff on it. I'm particularly impressed with the title track and with the instrumental "Tumba Randy," which has a recognizable rumba melody played on violin (by Alfredo de la Fe), as well as a duet by Blea and la Fe (both on violins). "Virgen de la Caridad" has a fairly traditional charanga feel at times, but moves into brilliant horn arrangements, adds some rhythms that sound Brazilian to me, and arrives at a timba-like montuno. But despite the fact that I can pull out these different strands in the music, all these elements have been pulled together and aren't running around loose. It doesn't feel like a collage at all. And damn, I don't like charanga or timba very much, but I think this song is great.

20. aragonh

aragonh New Member

Re: Anthony Blea y Su Charanga

Never heard of them. Will have to keep an eye out for them.

As for charanga bands, I would recommend orquesta broadway. In particular their cd "Como Me Gusta" is one awesome cut!!