Salsa > Salsa Championships in LA

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Daphna, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Not sure that everyone/anyone on this forum knows that there will be a Salsa Championship taking place on April 5 at the JW Marriott in LA Live Staple Center. This championship is to chose the couple that will represent the United States at the IOC World Games in Pascual Guerrero Stadium in Cali, Columbia July 25 - August 4, 2013. Interested couples should go to www.usadancenationals.com and then click on the General Info/Salsa tab for additional information and to the Competitor Information tab for registration information. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to PM me.

Its a great opportunity to represent your country in front of the entire world. Don't miss out!

2. salsamatic

salsamatic New Member

I'll be going to watch. Hopefully there will be a dance floor

3. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Why not dance? Also, not sure what you mean by "Hopefully there will be a dance floor?"

4. salsamatic

salsamatic New Member

I'll be dancing just not on stage with the pros.

5. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Come on folks, time to register for a chance to represent the United States at the World Games in Cali, Columbia.

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It's probably a topic for another thread, but I am always confused by salsa championships. There seem to be many competing organizations and cannot keep them straight.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  7. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

That, and the fact that USA dance has a very poor publicity visibility in the dance world. I am sure that USA dance never advertised, reached out, or even knows of any of these other organizations, and never contacted them. Hence, the small showing on this event.

8. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Really Bailmosdance, do you have any idea how many emails etc we've sent to the various Salsa organizations and teachers in LA and across the country. We have contacted most, if not all of them, have reached out to their judges and to the organizers of the different events. The Salsa world seems to be as split as the Ballroom world much to the detriment of all organizations.

Bailamosdance and Mr 4 styles like this.
  9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Ahh. Makes sense. So they don't fit together at any level?

10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

WORSE!!!!!!!!!! far worse ...each "group" is convinced that they are the one and only.. , it feels like AT at times

thank god hustle groups and wcs groups got over it. for the most part

11. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Yes, I had no idea. I just assumed that since we heard about this only thru one facebook page that it wasn't publicized.

12. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Good to know. Maybe I will be able to attend! It does seem like competing organizations, but so does ballroom! :)

13. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

The genre is sub divided into different styles.. i.e.

NY, Cali, on 1 and on 2 for e.g. add groups( formations ) . Seldom, and I dont know why ( well, I kinda do ) NEVER Son. the very " thing " thats the root of all the latin !

14. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

pros: you have tackled that sisyphean task. Nothing comes from nothing, Chapeau!! negs: Seems as if you could not force all these labels and needless (i.e economic) raison d'êtres under a joint judge. Stylistic classes are detrimental to dancing, musical categories (f.i fast montuno, romántica, 40s mambo, bolero-son, chachachá, timba, ...) would have been most desirable. Couldn´t you prevail? Are salsa stylists too cowardly to compete against each other and eventually even to mix their styles? So it resembles a performance show where no one actually is hurt.

15. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

If you have never looked at any of the Comp. vids in the genre, then I can assure you, they ALL look like performance routines , as opposed to simple Freestyle . Not to say that one should not have groupings, but , theres always ( in my eyes ) a little too much of a certain formality .
    One other important factor; never do you see anything danced, with less than warp speed !

16. bocaproductions

bocaproductions New Member

Excellent to know. possibly I will able to join. It lets you do seem like fighting agencies, however consequently can salsa!