Salsa > Salsa Club Tempo of the night. As I gets later, I get more no's. Int. Leader.

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Mysticle31, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Mysticle31

Mysticle31 New Member

Hey Dancers. I've been hitting up the Salsa clubs. I've had lots of privates, been dancing for a bit now and consider myself intermediate. I"m just down branching out to the clubs. I'm not advanced, I'm not a baby beginner. I've been staying later and later at the Salsa clubs and notice that often the better dancers come out later. You can watch the crowd change a bit. Unlike Ballrooms.

I will often dance a few, get some water and sit down, dance a few, go outside and cool off/walk around, go back and dance a few. I have noticed that the number of NO's I get also goes up as the night goes on. I can get 0-1(rare) no earlier in the night then all of a sudden come 10:30 ish I get more and more of them. Normally I just say OK and ask someone else or sit down for a song. Why is this? How do I change it?

Either:

1) I've lost dancing momentum by taking breaks and no one has seen me dance
    2) The later crowd doest know me
    3) I suck
    4) I'm doing something weird/awkward/who knows
    5) People genuinely want to take breaks, right then.

I've had this pattern of nos before. I normally dance in California. I once went to Texas and thought I'd hit up the Salsa clubs there and literally danced once. By my 5th or 6th no, might as well go back to my hotel. I find the Cali people a little more friendly.

I guess there is something about the lesson or beginning of the night that gets things flowing.

2. Mysticle31

Mysticle31 New Member

I've thought of another option. The club is more aggressive. In the ballrooms you can have a brief chat and actually ask a lady to dance. In the clubs you just smile and extend your hand - a grab and go mission. Maybe that's a possibility.

3. vit

vit Active Member

Well, being intermediate (whatever is that level in particular venue) and having a number of classes/privates/previous dancing knowledge etc still isn't guarantee that people enjoy dancing with you. Social dancing skills need several years to build (usually called "beginner's hell") and also some people progress faster and some slower. So sometimes there are people with relatively short dancing history who are enjoyable to dance with and there are people with long dancing history who are not. And of course, people tend to dance with partners they enjoy dancing with

So there is always a room for improvement in this area, even for "advanced" dancers, which will increase chances for getting more dances. As you said you had a number of privates, maybe you could ask your instructors are there some things in your dancing that could be a problem

4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi Mysticle, dancing in clubs got different rules than dancing in the sheltered room. I believe that skills are only one aspect besides social contacts and attractiviness. Have you already build up a clique?

Bailamosdance likes this.
  5. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

It's a club. IMHO, only a tiny percentage of your "no"s have anything to do with your dancing ability. Unless everyone has been sitting there observing you, they have no clue how you can dance (or might not even care).

6. vit

vit Active Member

It depends on the club/venue, so percentage of importance of dancing ability can vary from say 10 to say 90%. However, in places where the dancing level is high, this percentage is usually higher, while on the other side with average dancing skills it's hard to expect that advanced dancers will enjoy and/or accept the dance in those places

Social contacts and attractiveness are surely important, as are other things, for instance how tired other dancers are, do they like particular song etc. For instance, in my venue, around midnight floor is usually packed and there is a lot of salsa dura songs which I don't like, so I dance less than at the beginning and tend to dance with people I like dancing with and can dance well on the packed floor etc, while at the beginning of the party, when there is more room and usually music I like, I'll dance with beginners, on the music that is more suitable to them (slower) etc ...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  7. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Therein lies the problem.Many ladies are very cautious, when being asked to dance by a "stranger" .
    The quality of your dancing ( and mine ) has little or nothing to do ,with a yes or a no, in many cases. Ive lost count of the number of times Ive got a no ( And Im a "seasoned" Prof. ) .
    As to the late thing, heres the set up; there are 2 sections to club goers, the early set ( doors open, in they come ) and the late set , midnite onwards, which is typical of the latino .And some of course who stay for both .

8. tangotime

Vit, we shouldnt equate " Dura " with Fast.. Dura can be of a slower tempo .

9. vit

vit Active Member

Of course. I don't dislike all dura, but particular uptempo songs that are usually played here around 00am-01am, that all sound almost the same, no breaks, no variety, too much all sort of percussion instruments, and when you add imperfect sound system to this and imperfect sound source from mp3 files downloaded from internet, it results with a mass. It's not much different in a club where mostly cuban salsa is danced - just instead of dura, mostly timba and reggaeton is played in that time period.

10. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

You have answered your question already (in the first paragraph of your op). And, only one of the numbered reasons you listed might really apply.

You are correct; it is stereotypical for the Hispanics and better dancers (not always one in the same) to come out later in the eve. Because of this, these dancers often know one another, personally, or only by sight and reputation. It is normal for them to dance more within their known circles of acquaintances than with strangers. Also, these are the better dancers. They are not always dancing for the same reasons that newer dancers do. They often wait for the later hours and more experienced dancers so that they may try out their latest, more intricate or difficult moves with dancers whom they feel might be able to handle them.

I, like TT, am a seasoned salsero, and well liked at the salsa clubs, and I still get my fair share of "no"s from time to time. I agree that it is a caution/comfortability thing with many ladies. The answer is to do as I, and TT, and many others have done... persevere. Continue to go; be seen; dance as oft as you can (perhaps take a partner with whom to show off some of your moves); and, become a regular. Become an accepted member of the 'Latter Night Crowd'. with a wee patience, you'll be salsa-ing till the early morn in no time.

ocean-daughter likes this.
  11. tangotime

Obviously a DJ who doesnt understand " pace " . Tempos should always vary thruout an evening. If one chooses to ignore slower tempos, then a lot of great music will get ignored, and dancers do need a change of pace .
    And I use decks to "spin " . I wouldnt know how to download:eek: . I have a lot of $/£ invested in equipment, and thats the way i prefer to work.

12. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

One other thing to keep in mind is: Just as newbie leads often find the idea of dancing with an advanced follow intimidating, less experienced follows are sometimes intimidated by advanced leads. The idea that you might not be able to live up to a partner's expectations is a powerful motive-killer.

13. Aye SalsaLover

Aye SalsaLover New Member

You are right, the professional ones always come to the club late and they tend to dance with person/people that have already known each other or by reputation. So don't feel bad about the "No's", keep dancing. Also be aware of who you do you ask to dance with: Male needs to think 1 step ahead and lead professionally, so if you asked the professional female dancers and they already observed your skill that might not be as high as theirs, it is normal to get No's.

14. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

Agree with the observation that the better dancers come later in the evening. The beginners usually come in the... beginning. Hence the reason the better dancers come later, to avoid bad dancers and bad dancing. Though how bad can it be to dance with a beginner in such a limited contact dance such as salsa?

15. tangotime

That's not the reason they come late.. Its "tradition " . Latinos , for e.g. are conditioned to later times .And then there are those who are unable to get to a club early.

And, skill level has little or nothing to do with "arrival" time .

16. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

I'm unfamiliar with latino culture so I can't comment on that observation. There don't seem to be that many latino/hispanics that go to the clubs in my city since there aren't very many latinos/hispanics to begin with. I also fail to see how people can't get to a club at 8pm on a Friday/Saturday night. I mean, it's a Friday/Saturday night so what else would they possibly be doing? Considering how non-conservatively they dress up, I imagine they spent a lot of time picking their outfits, accessories, and doing their makeup.

The beginners show up for the lessons that happen before the dancing starts. But the more advanced dancers never show up when the dancing just begins. And if they do, they sit, chat, and wait for others that they know to show up.

17. tangotime

[quote="LKSO, post: 1051106, member: 70338"

I also fail to see how people can't get to a club at 8pm on a Friday/Saturday night. I mean, it's a Friday/Saturday night so what else would they possibly be doing?

Considering how non-conservatively they dress up, I imagine they spent a lot of time picking their outfits, accessories, and doing their makeup.

[/quote]

You answered your own question...

Maybe its a states-side thing, tho, Italy and Spain, also have a late nite culture .Also to be considered, work.. not everyone has a 9- 5 job.. and distance travelled.. A lot of factors.

18. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

8 p.m. to a salsa club? I'm not even latino and I wouldn't even get to a salsa/latin club before 11 p.m. It's just when most of the dancers arrive. Now I have been to places earlier, but that's usually when I have a dance partner there with me to begin with.

19. tangotime

The one exception that can work , is a mid-week nite ( small towns ). There's one been going on here where I live ( UK ) for 10 plus yrs,... very successful .

I plan to try the same idea when I re-locate .

20. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

I have experienced the same problems. It used to be I was finished by 9 pm because by then the ladies that were coming in just weren't interested in dancing with me. As my skill levels have improved I get a lot less nos.

So, keep upping your game by improving your dance. You will know you are there when ladies start asking you to dance!