Salsa > Salsa Dresses

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by london1996, Nov 22, 2004.

1. london1996

london1996 New Member

I live in South West London and having a birthday party on the 27th of Nov.I would like to find a nice dress for salsa dancing and by now I'm having a difficulties.I have no much time left.Can anybody tell me of a nice shop in London area.Thank you!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi drazenka nikolic. I'm not from London (although more than a few DFers are.) Just wanted to say welcome and happy birthday. :D

3. london1996

london1996 New Member

Hi there!Thanks for a nice wellcome.Hello from London!

4. pygmalion

Good luck finding a dress. I'm sure a couple of our UK salseras can help. :D

5. tanzsegler

tanzsegler New Member

I don't know much about London but if I were you, I'd check out the thrift shops. They often have lots of exciting dresses (at good prices too).

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the DF and happy Birthday! :D

Hopefully Pacion or some of our other London based members can sterr you in the right direction...

7. dTas

dTas New Member

what makes a salsa dress different from any other dress?

club dress? latin dress? dance dress? swing dress?

does that mean there's also a cha-cha dress? rumba dress?

and... what is the perfect salsa dress?

8. pygmalion

Good questions. I don't know the answers. I just know 'em when I see 'em. :oops: :wink:

9. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

lol... isn't that something, i don't know either but I do know that every stares at the girl that can't salsa but is wearing a salsa dress. :shock: now, why would she dress so if she can't do so? hmmmmmmm

One of my pet peeves is to go somewhere and find a lady who has salsera written all over her body then when I dance with her.. OMG did you know you were coming here?

10. tj

tj New Member

Lol! Been there, danced that!

On a related note, there was a guy on Saturday who had the "look" down pat. He looked like a really good dancer - something about the way he was dressed and how he carried himself. So then one of my friends asked him... err, nope!
    :shock:

11. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Dance dress, looks sexy, passes the spin test :lol:, doesn't stick to your skin when you sweat...

Most of my casual clothes I wear for salsa dancing come from the sort of shops where teenagers buy their night-out clothes :lol: (like Quiz, Logo, Miss Selfridge's, TopShop), but I suppose Drazenka's looking for a more "dressed up" look for birthday... I have no idea about where to shop in London.

12. Sabor

Sabor New Member

si, salseras would do well to wear dresses as often as could be.. there are many guys walking around in pants already.. no need to add to that detail :lol:

13. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Yes, this kind of shops have much clothes of latino style. And mostly these shops are very very cheap. Today I bough a black skirt for 21 $

(It passed the spin test and my big hips & big back test as well :wink: )

A few weeks ago I bought a dress at H&M (Hennes and Mauritz) for 43 $. I guess you have these shops in UK as well. They had many nice dresses today when I had a quick glance.

/Luc

14. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Yup. Exactly my thinking.

In my case it's a "flat chest test" :lol:. So many sexy looking dresses are designed with girls better endowed than me in mind they look simply ridiculous on me... :(

15. squirrel

squirrel New Member

The skimpier the better :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. pygmalion

I have the opposite issue, and I don't even have a big chest. Just moderate. But the dress has to work with a bra that stays up. Spaghetti straps look nice, but there can be any body parts flapping or popping out or underwear falling down. Definitely dance in the dressing room -- and bend over, touch your toes, twist. Any movement you can think of. When you get on the dance floor, you'll be glad you did. 8)

17. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Hi Drazenka and welcome to DF.

I was at Oxford Street this evening (for the non Londoners, this is one of the main shopping streets in London) and I agree with MacMoto. Some of the stuff they had in the window looked danceable, and in addition to what Macmoto said re the spin test, this applies to BOTH the skirt and top! The extent of this would of course depend on your body shape and how much body tape/toupee tape you use. NEXT had some lovely tops (I thought) so you could even consider a nice layered/jagged edge skirt?

But so many of them wear the pants/trousers hanging off their hips, we women have to show them how it is done :wink:

18. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Oh and for some reason, Pygmalion's post made me think about knickers (maybe it was the mention of the bra?) What ever you do, DON'T wear a G String with the dress unless you are willing to risk exposure in the most public of ways :? Whilst the dress/skirt may stay in place whilst you are moving around, add the guy's hand and you could find your skirt flaring/moving around more than it ought to :?

19. amrimi

amrimi New Member

It should also be made of some fabric that is drying very fast therefore cotton wouldn't be a good choice.

20. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Hand? :eyebrow: