Salsa > Salsa in DC

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Kindra, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Leah

Leah New Member

kdogg, you new to the area? have you met any of us yet?

2. kdogg

kdogg New Member

No, I've lived in this area for almost 5 years now. I've been dancing off and on for a couple of years; I think I'm really getting addicted to salsa. I'm a regular at Havana Village on Fridays so you might have seen me there. I'm trying to explore other salsa clubs in the area. I've been to Yuca, Lucky Bar and Lulu's a few times, to H20 once on Sat (although they played salsa music in one of the rooms, the crowd lacked salsa enthusiasts--I had to literally beg the girls for a dance), and to Clarendon Grill twice (acutally, I was just there last night). Looks like the crowd is better on weekdays than weekends. Well, I sure would like to meet you all.

3. Beto

Beto Active Member

I haven't heard anything really about South Beach on Tuesdays outside of the class being all that good. Personally, I'd think you'd have a better time on Thursday night as Vin suggested below.

Have to agree though I had a great time both last week and the opening the week before.

You were at CG last night? Vin, Kindra and myself were all there last night. I know I'm sometimes alone in this opinion but since it's my own, I think Clarendon Grill on Mondays is the best night for salsa and mambo during the work week. Other people might rank the Barking Dog on Tuesdays or Divino on Fridays but CG is always home for me. In fact I'm going to try and hit Barking Dog tonight after practice, South Beach on Thursday and if I'm still awake on Friday night I'll hit Divino's.
    Kdogg if you hit CG again on a Monday night, post it here so we can know to meet up with you. :D

4. Leah

Leah New Member

Yep, CG is great, though I didnt make it last night. Barking Dog is a regular thing (am going tonight, so is tj, beto, maybe vin?), and I think stuck on salsa (www.stuckonsalsa.com) is having a party this Saturday, which always draws a big crowd of good dancers.

Would be nice to meet!

5. kdogg

kdogg New Member

Celebrate Colombian Independence Day

Greetings DC Salsa Folks! It's Colombian Independence Day. There are a couple of events taking place in DC.

1. At Yuca (Today):

Date: Wednesday July 20th
    Place: Yuca nightclub, 18th and M Street, NW, Washington, DC

Doors open at 6pm with drink specials and Empanadas.
    Live music by Orquesta Palenque from 8pm to 9pm
    El grupo Tairona Dancers from 9pm to 9:30pm.
    Dj Ricardo el Salsero and Jota "El sonero" will play Colombian music all
    night long.
    Free Salsa class from 9:30pm to 10:30pm and dancing there after till 2am.

Cover charge is $5 B4 9pm and $10 after.

2. At Dream (Saturday, July 23rd):
    http://www.dcgroove.com/newsletter/colombia/

I'll try to go to Yuca tonight. I'm not sure about Sat at Dream.

6. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

With you all in the DC/Baltimore area...I'm sure you wander into Virginia on occasion. I'm going to Virginia Beach this weekend to watch the U.S. Classic and I want to go salsa dancing afterwards. Anything in the VB, Newport News or Norfolk area on a Saturday night?

Please, please tell me so...

If not, I suppose I can settle for a ballroom social. If you know of any of those on a Saturday night, let me know.

7. sunderi

sunderi New Member

I'm going out tomorrow night to Cecilia's (in Arlington?) to celebrate my birthday.

Anyone who wants to come is welcome. :)

http://www.ceciliasclub.com

8. sunderi

sunderi New Member

To clarify, "tomorrow night" really means Thursday. :)

9. Leah

Leah New Member

Happy Birthday!

I already have plans tonight (packing for a WE in Montreal!) but hope you have a great time!

10. sunderi

sunderi New Member

Thanks!

11. kdogg

kdogg New Member

12. sara1011

sara1011 New Member

The exhibition is nice. I went about a month ago, though so I don't know if it's still open. They have a lot of her outfits and wigs and crazy shoes (I mean crazy!) on display.

13. kdogg

kdogg New Member

I finally made it to the Salsa Queen's exhibit this weekend; it was great. The audios they had at the exhibit made me want to dance, but I was able to fight the temptation :lol: . There is also an online exhibit at:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/celiacruz/

Too bad that she couldn't have any kids; she could have passed down her good singing genes.

14. clave

clave New Member

I'll be visiting DC from October 16th through the 19th, staying at the Bethesda Marriott carless. I'll have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights available for salsa, can any of you locals recommend places to go? If you'd like to get together drop me a PM.

15. sara1011

sara1011 New Member

This is from earlier in the thread. Barking Dog is in Bethesda.

Lucky Bar and Clarendon Grill are in D.C. and Arlington, VA respectively.

16. tj

tj New Member

Oh, and tonight:

"Dancing On The River Terrace Friday, Sept. 16 at Kennedy Center
    Join Eileen for a fabulous evening of dancing on the River Terrace at
    the Kennedy Center tomorrow featuring Son De Aqui. Eileen will provide
    two 30 minute dance lessons. The event is free and begins at 8:00pm and
    ends at 11:00pm."

17. kdogg

kdogg New Member

I'm planning on being there, but I'll probably have to hit a salsa club afterwards; I've got to dance at least till 2:00 am on weekends to get my salsa fix :wink: . I haven't met you yet, tj. And most of the DC DFers.

18. kdogg

kdogg New Member

Sunday: Cecilia's Club in Arlington, VA has Sunday events.

19. tj

tj New Member

Err... whoops! Didn't make it out that night.

How was it?

20. Kindra

Kindra New Member

So umm....you're making a habit of this. And it's become rather annoying... ;)