Salsa > Salsa in London!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by jenibelle, May 9, 2004.

1. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

Hello everybody!
    I'm going to be in London for a week at the end of the month. I'd like to go salsa dancing but I've never been there before so does anyone have any suggestions?

It's kind of scary...I'm a small-town salsera tryin' out her dancing ability with the big guys woohoo! :lol:

Jeni :D :D :D

2. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

3. Haz

Haz New Member

Nothin is final yet but I just may be there as well :wink: . Thinking of London/Glasgow/Berlin. Not sure which yet though...

4. jenibelle

jenibelle New Member

Thanks youngsta!

Haz: do make sure it's London! I've been dying to dance with a DFer for a really long time :D

Jeni

5. pepe

pepe New Member

Web sucks, connect to dancers.

Venues open and close at such rate that webmaster cant keep up.

London is one of best cities to stay late. Night transit is great. But if you go early still lot of dancers to dance with. I visited even two places per night that are close. Places vary a lot depending of day in week or music (chose from Cuban, Mambo, Colombian...).

6. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Pepe, I would be interested to know which venues you are referring to as many of the ones I know have been going for years. Yes, there is the occasional one or two that is "here today, gone tomorrow", but, in my opinion, they are the exception rather than the rule. This is in London. I cannot speak for outside/smaller towns.

Jenibelle, can you PM me the area in which you will be staying? I can then, hopefully, give you some good suggestions.

7. pepe

pepe New Member

I didnt mean All places in London open and close but those few (advertised on web sites) are enough for someone visiting and dont know anything about London to spoil his/her trip.

I visit London every year or two on my way to Europe and back. I saw in London the same trend now I see around world. New instructors and venues popping faster than mushrooms (everyone wants to cash on Salsa). The problem is - some last like mushrooms.

I don’t look just for one or two club in order to say I danced Salsa in London. I try to see as much as possible. For someone who travels it is just a few days to find information. So most rely on Internet, I did, I used the same web link that helped me in past and was a big mistake.

I just wanted to recommend to all travelers who want to enjoy Salsa everywhere – don’t rely on Internet and guide books, connect to real people, find friends.
    I did, I learn my lesson and now I have great time everywhere I go.

8. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Sorry Pepe but that description of new venues popping up, I just do not recognise. :( New instructors yes. New venues, no. But, if that is your experience, then so be it.

I do agree though that the internet information can be a bit out of date, to say the very least! But, some sites have gotten better over the years, thankfully.

9. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I may get a chance to try out the London scene at the beginning of July. Possibly Saturday but more likely to be Friday. Any places to add to the previous recommendations? As an intermediate-level backwater girl, friendliness is more important than high skill level of dancers.

10. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I'll be arriving in London on Friday 2nd July, and I've just realised there's a big event that evening.
    Latin Splash@Clapham Common (www.true-vision.net/latinsplash/)

Are any London-based DFers going? Is it worth going to, or would I be better off going to one of regular clubs in London instead? I'll be staying in central London.

11. templeria

templeria New Member

I'll be going but as I didn't go last year I'm afraid that I can't tell you too muc about it. The event is being organised by salsa-uk - more info on their website www.salsa-uk.com. If nothing else Oscar d'leon will be there and there will be shows from Johnny Vasquez and Frankie Martinez.

Afterwards there is an afterparty at the Coronet - very large venue, nice area upstairs but the main floor is concrete so kills the feet a bit! Also the area it is in isn't too great so I would advise getting a taxi back if you are going to be on your own. AGain I think there is more info on the Salsa-UK site. Maybe see you there. :D

12. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Hi MacMoto, I have no immediate plans to go but in terms of logistics, you may need to check the travel time from Victoria station (I believe) to Clapham. The evening starts at 5pm as templeria said. Personally, I might be more inclined to go for the afterparty (especially when I don't tend to walk out of my office building until 6/6.30.

I also agree with templeria about taking a taxi (or booking a mini-cab) afterwards as it is also my understanding that the location of the venue isn't in the best of areas :?

13. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Thanks Templeria & Pacion!

The afterparty sounds tempting, but I probably shouldn't considering I have an early start the following morning... :( (not that it's stopped me before :lol:). Would be nice if we could meet up.

I did wonder about the area -- yes, a taxi for me I think.

14. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Latin Splash is only 3 days away! :shock: So who's going?
    I will arrive at Heathrow around 6.40pm then have to check into my hotel first, so will probably end up missing at least half of it. Still haven't decided about the afterparty yet... :?

15. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

I was surprised to see F. Martinez, J. Vasquez and J. Aponte are attending that event, given that they are scheduled to give a class in Cannes for the International Salsa Congress on saturday morning (10:00 AM for F. Martinez!)

16. Pacion

Pacion New Member

MacMoto, depending on where your hotel is, you may have to rethink on Latin Splash :( I think it finishes at 10.30? So depending on how long it takes for you to get from Heathrow to your hotel and then to Clapham Common, you might only have an hour there.

You might be better off going to the After Party and booking a taxi to get you back to the hotel? Do you have any telephone numbers for cab companies or shall I PM you some?

Maybe they are flying in Frankie M by helicopter :wink:

17. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

The nearest tube stations from the hotel are Marble Arch and Bond Street. No idea how long it would take to get there from the airport... :?

Can you PM the numbers? Thanks for your help, much appreciated. :)

18. cvillarl

cvillarl New Member

Salsa in England!

Hello everybody:

I'm going to live to England in a few weeks, but I'm still chosing the city (I can go wherever I want to). As you might guess, chosen city needs to have an "important" salsa scene. I mean, I want it to have at least one club open each day of the week, just to have my daily dose. I've been thinking about:

Newcastle upon Tyne
    Liverpool
    Bristol

Mostly because they are the three biggest metropolitan areas on the seaside. But don't know how big is their salsa scene. I don't need names nor addreses right now, just a quick count if you live over there. Eg Zaragoza (Spain, where a live right now) have mostly 1 club open Sunday-Thursday and 3 Friday-Saturday and have a similar number of inhabitants, but don't know how popular salsa is in UK. If the scene ins't big enought, I'll chose a bigger city on the inside. Thanks for your comments.

19. DeeplyDippy

DeeplyDippy New Member

None of these have a huge salsa scene.

20. Ellis

Ellis New Member

You will have trouble finding anything like the amount of salsa you say there is in Zaragoza anywhere but London.

Outside London, your best bet is Birmingham, although you will have to travel across the city if you want to go every night and you are likely to have to do something else three Saturdays a month. Aparently the Birmingham scene is more friendly than London, but I have not been out in London enough to coment.

I can give you URLs for the main promoters in the Birmingham area on request.

HTH

Ellis