Salsa > Salsa in London!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by jenibelle, May 9, 2004.

1. SurfSalsa

SurfSalsa New Member

Hi Carlos, if you want to salsa EVERY night, London's your place... I LOVED it!!

2. Brendan

Brendan New Member

I live in Bristol and its got a salsa scene but not the best. It depends a bit on what style you prefer though. If you want on2 then you'll need to go to the bigger cities (London, Manchester, Birmingham). Cuban tends to be a bit more widespread aound the Southwest of England.
    Cardiff has got a reasonable salsa scene by the way and I think there is a club most nights of the week. Have a look at www dot salsacardiff dot com (sorry - not posted enough to be able to send links). It's a very nice city and there are reasonable beaches nearby.

Brendan

3. cvillarl

cvillarl New Member

First of all, thanks for your comments.
    Note that I don't need a huge salsa scene, just one like I've described will be OK. But perhaps for you that's a huge one. I thought that salsa in UK was as popular as in Spain or more, that's the reason I suposed those cities (because their number of inhabitants) will have such salsa scene.
    Another thing I've found different is that, althought Saturday is probably the day when most people go out, seems the worst day to dance salsa in UK because of the number of clubs opened (as I can see in www dot salsajive dot co dot uk). I find it the worst day to dance salsa in Spain too, but not because the number of clubs opened (more than the rest of the week) or the number of dancers (more thant the rest of the week too) but mostly because the dancefloor it's a bit too crowded for my taste.
    Seems like I'll have to opt for a bigger city. London (with his 8 million) will be a secured bet, but I find it a bit overwhelming. So perhaps Birmingham. Having to travel around the city doesn't matter very much (is what I do riding right now) and perhaps neither having to surrender Saturdays.
    About what style I prefer, I've always danced on1 and never tried until now on2, which is quite strange right now in Zaragoza. And mostly cuban style, and just a few line, which are 50-50 right now in Zaragoza. Don't know how it is in UK, but I've been told than mostly line and on1 but on2 been quite more popular.

4. SurfSalsa

SurfSalsa New Member

Yes, it seems quite crazy, but that is the same I experienced in London - Saturdays were the worst nights (by far) for salsa. All the other nights I found very nice salsa places, and on some of the week nights, even quite a choice.

Brendan, Cardiff sounds real cool - I like the beach aspect of it too! Will have to check that next time I get opportunity to visit the UK!

5. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

cvillarl,

Most salsa nights in the UK are weekly or monthly events, often organised by teachers. There are very few dedicated salsa clubs that play salsa every night (or even dedicated latin clubs). Salsa dancers in the UK have a reputation for not drinking enough to keep club owners happy, so clubs put salsa on quiet nights (Sunday-Thursday) when they don't expect a good bar take anyway. On Friday and Saturday nights, they can get more drinkers in their premises (i.e., make more money) by playing mainstream music.

If you are a Cuban-style dancer, consider Glasgow (yeah I know you said England, but Scotland's only next door;) ). It's one of the few UK cities where Cuban is the majority style. Also, Edinburgh is only an hour's drive away, and if you combine the two cities, you can get some salsa every night most weeks, including Fridays and Saturdays (some nights are better than others, but that's the same in every city). Check out http://www.salsaholics.org/frames.html.

6. cvillarl

cvillarl New Member

Hello everybody:

Chosing the city to live, has been the way most difficult task/decission about moving to UK. Finally I've chosen Birmingham so I'll PM Ellis asking for URLs for the main promoters (and I'll google a bit). That will be enought to start dancing. There, you only need to ask other dancers about more clubs and lessons.
    London, Cardiff and Glasgow sound interesting but I'm afraid I have to discard them.
    In Spain happens the same MacMoto said for UK. At least in Zaragoza, plenty of clubs start to organice "latin nights" specially on Thursdays, but most of them are unsuccessful and don't go on, outside the three clubs I've told that have been working for years.
    So, if any dfer is living over there and want to go some day to dance, PM me and we'll dance as soon as I've arrived and stablished myself.

7. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Hello, guys. I wanted to know what's the best salsa club in London. :D Pretty straightforward, no?

T_E

8. tj

tj New Member

T_E, there are a bunch of Brits who post over on our sister forum, www.salsaforums.com - I'd suggest you ask over there if you don't get any answers here.

9. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes New Member

hi twilight i coulnt log in yesterday so sent you an email by hotmail. if you didnt get it i can now paste it hear. actually ill do it anyway.

modays:

Bar salsa (tottenham court road/leicester square tube). play a lot of commercial salsa/bachata/merengue early also decent salsa. later on you get great dancers + great music. packed.

two brewers pub (clapham common/north tube).

nice people, quite busy.

tues:

sound (leicester square tube). big beast of salsa, havent tried, heard mixed feedback. packed also.

abacus. in the city, classes start 6.45pm then dancing after. more fun time salsa (technique wise not too high, int/adv and lower. not really any adv dancers). nice atmosphere though. busy.

wed:

bar salsa (again). similar to mondays, better teachers. the adv class here is one of the highest (also sos, see sunday).

two brewers (again), havent tried wednesdays

thurs:

maybe bar salsa, went once wasnt keen the teachers (dont focus on technique, in my humble opinion). supposed to be busy, been tempted to try classes as phil is supposed to teach some interesting stuff.

chiswick town hall is good for classes (but way out west)

fri:

ealing town hall

havent tried (yet, going this week). suppoded to be ace (alot of on2)

sat:

bar rez/colloseum (vauxhall tube) on every sat. i went but 'salsafusion' also have sat venue every 2weeks so wasnt great. heard great reviews though so will give a 2nd go.

sun

sos (russell square tube). for me the best of the week. highest level of dancers go here (im not one of them but i have eyes!). they hire out a venue in a hotel so not about drinking etc just great dancing. alot of on2 dancers. get teachers coming on their "night off" to social.

for all venue info go to

lwww.londonsalsa.co.uk then club/classes also 4 reviews. (be suspicious of some ie wed in kensington, also turnmills on tues is shut).

10. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I like SOS. If you are looking for serious dancing rather than club atmosphere, it's great.

11. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Wish I had known where those were . . . I couldn't find any when I was in Zaragoza a couple of years ago. Darn my mediocre Spanish skills!

12. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

last time i was at bar salsa , was one of the worst experiences in many yrs !!-- The DJs ( s ) would not have lasted one set in most US clubs. The music was pretty bad .Its subjective, I know .

there were a few salseras present, but nothing out of the ordinary. But again, i,m making this comparison with state side clubs .=== also, looking thru prof. eyes.

This was a fri nite, so cant speak for other nites .

13. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes New Member

i wouldnt go to bar salsa fri/sat/sun. only mon/wed 4 me. empties out a bit by 11pm when music and dancing much better

14. tangotime

Guess i should know better about w/ends !!

15. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes New Member

yeah its hen nights apparently! with lots of randy mature ladies on the prowl

16. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Better teachers at Bar Salsa on a Wednesday night, than on a Monday? Hmmm. Have not been to both nights in a while, but, in my opinion, you could not get better than Mario and Susana.

Yes, there are people who are not 'fans' of Mario. I am not one them. However, whilst he may not be a dancer, he is a much better 'moves' teacher than many of the teachers around.

As for Susana, she is really one of the best female teachers.

Therefore, it is quite subjective which night has the 'better teachers'. Personally, if I had to choose, I would choose Monday nights at Bar Salsa.

As for a lot of On2 at Ealing Town Hall on a Friday night? I would say that that is a subjective view. Robert White, one half of the MamboCity organisers does play a mix. Now, if there are dancers there who dance both On1 and On2, and choose to dance On2 to a song that may be more for On1 or even Cuban style... that is their choice. ;)

17. tangotime

What was that nite again ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes New Member

hi pacion couldnt quote your text but will reply anyway. you think mario's intermediate is more interesting than joes? really thats your opinion, mine is the opposite (but thats mine, no prob). bar salsa wed improvers teaches similar moves to bar salsa mon intermediate (where they ALWAYS teach xbody, xbody turn, double spin, copa - every week, im not the only one to comment on this). i havent tried susanna's adv so wasnt really considering this ( i know i should have stated this, shes obviously a great teacher). as you say you havent been in a while (i have!). if you look at my post 4 ealing ive stated i havent tried their yet (!) and was stating their is apparently quite a few on2 ers that go (got this info from the 'other' website). made this comment as they were coming from usa may be an on2 dancer (but hey maybe not) was trying to be helpful info wise for someone coming to the uk.

19. tangotime

Interesting how people assume that possibility , that may be --USA = on 2 . I know you said maybe not-- but----

The last major city in which I worked ( large latino pop. ) on 1 dancers were, by far, the most dominant .

20. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Hello again, peeps. Found a club called The Clockhouse (Bar Tiempo/la Finca) which very conveniently located close to my house. It's near Angel, Islington. Does anyone know anything about it? Basically, is the music and crowd any good? Is it too crowded? Not so interested in classes.

T_E