Salsa > Salsa in London!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by jenibelle, May 9, 2004.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Let's call it "even Stevens" shall we? You have your views/information re Ealing Town Hall on a Friday, I have my views/information re Bar Salsa on a Wednesday...

TE, how long are you here for? I think your PM must be lost in snail mail! ;)

2. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes New Member

just hedging my bets ;) because i was 2 lazy to see where twilight was from then reply.:)

3. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Here where? And what PM? Did I miss a memo?

T_E

4. sweavo

sweavo New Member

I went to a place "The Finca" in the big town some years ago (2003 I think) and I found it to be very Cuban oriented and actually hostile to cbl styles (I asked a girl to dance and she said "are you any good?" then when we started. "why are you dancing American style? Salsa is from Cuba!")

5. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Now, either I am drinking toooo much sherry, or not drinking enough, :lol: but, according to the initial post, I was/am under the impression that you are/will be, in London...

6. Twilight_Elena

Yes, yes. I'm in London for studies and will be here for... oh, 5 years. :p

T_E

7. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

La Finca's been going for ages - at least 12 years, probably more.

I've not been there for a year or more, the music was too fast for my old bones - but it's a great venue, it's definitely worth trying a few different nights there.

8. Twilight_Elena

Hey thanks! :D It's my first time in London, and I don't dance salsa that much but there are some friends here who do more than me and plus I miss ballroom socials. Need to go out dancing.

9. Vibrance

Vibrance New Member

I've been to La Finca several times in the last year and it's an OK venue.

The split between CBers and Cuban style is about 50/50 now.
    The classes can be good, but are often very crowded and chaotic.
    It's one of the few clubs in London where the men sometimes outnumber the women, this made for a bit of a weird atmosphere one time I was there.
    Some nights the floor is full past midnight, sometimes it seems to die at 11:45.

A bit too changeable for my liking - I've had great nights there, other times I've wanted to leave after 30 minutes.

10. sweavo

sweavo New Member

Maybe I got one of those nights... it was really hard to keep smiling that time!

11. caroleb123

caroleb123 New Member

the best salsa classes in london!

I was looking for an activity in the evening and I finally found the club I LOVE SALSA! They are so nice! They organise Salsa classes but also Salsa parties... So, don't hesitate, you won't be disappointed!;)

12. AndrewS

AndrewS New Member

:lol:

La Finca always puzzled me in that the classes were in cross body style (with a nod towards some Cuban movement) but the club afterwards was 80% Cuban style. Because of that and because it was a long journey for me I only ever went about 4 or 5 times.

13. AndrewS

AndrewS New Member

I thought that the aim of the Monday intermediate class was to allow you to practise the core moves - the ones you mention above and not neccessarily to teach a new turn pattern every week? They did used to explain this at the start of every intermediate class but perhaps they have stopped saying it.

I'm definitely looking forward to the day when women come up from that intermediate class with a solid set of core skills and can complete a double spin without staggering around for the second one. And where they actually wait to be led for a move rather than doing it themselves three counts too early because they "know" what's coming.

Isn't on2 a predominantly New York thing? If someone came over from the US and they were from, say, LA I would be very surprised if they only danced on2.

14. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

NO .-- they were dancing on " 2 " in LA, back in the fifties, as were most.
    You will find a mixture of styles, in all the larger cities ( 1,2, and 3 ) and the proficient dancers, will change to suit the occasion .

15. himji

himji New Member

Since most things change and move on, I'm sure alot of this is out of date now. Can anybody give me a new heads up on where to go in London these days?

I'm moving back to NW London (Harrow) in January and so looking for place round form the north to the West of London and maybe in central as I could always tube it in.

I want to look for the best places/nights in the City so I can plan the rest of my life around that :p

I've already asked this on SalsaForums (sorry for x-post) but asking here too