Salsa > Salsa issue...

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by squirrel, Jul 30, 2004.

1. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

I'm sorry Squirrel. Wish I had an easy answer for you. :(

2. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Don't worry, Macmoto... :) When I started this thread, I had had one of those dancing days when nothing really worked out!
    Usually I am ok dancing with the 2-3 guys who invite me or get invited by me... there is not much Salsa played in our club, so I don't sit too much... only on Merengue...

3. Sabor

Sabor New Member

.. and all this time i thought this thread was about 'Salsa Tissue' :shock: .. and i was going like 'cool.. they make tissue like that in Romania'.. :lol: ehem.. :mrgreen:

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

If they put a slow merengue on I'm happy to dance cha cha cha with you. :wink: How about tunnels? Do you like them? There are certain moves that each person likes. Which ones do you?

You know I sometimes get wrapped up in dance after dance and forget. :oops: If I enjoy dancing with a person, really enjoy dancing with them, they get an open invitation. I ask them if they are free to come and grab me. I love dancing with them and I'll dance with them anytime. My question is what do you need? The dance or to be asked? Which is more important? I know follows with this issue too and I've converted thm to asking so that they can get their dance fix. What can I say to help you get there?

5. Seut

Seut New Member

Well, it's very simple. If you are bored, people won't dance with you. I don't dance twice with someone that looks bored. There's no point.

What I can't understand is why you want to be invited by someone that bores you?

About the ones that does not bore you, but don't invite you, maybe it's because they know that thay shuold show something special and prefer to just have fun with simpler partners.

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi seut. Welcome. :D

7. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Welcome to the DF Seut! :D

8. Seut

Seut New Member

Oh, where are my manners?

Hi, all!

About Squrrel, I think the problem is only in her head. The situation is similar almost everywhere, as far as I know.

9. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Welcome on board, Seut. Hope you'll like it here.

Yes, I think the situation is similar anywhere where there are more females than males in the scene. In Squirrel's case, there is an extra complication in that she is not only a woman in a follower-heavy scene but also a salsa instructor, which means that guys see her differently from other women, and that she does need to make an extra effort to make them feel like asking her to dance...

10. Sagitta

All this talk makes me think of what I do!! Shameful!! :oops: Tonight I make sure to ask all the female instructors out there. :wink:

11. Vin

Vin New Member

The other day I asked an instructor to dance, mainly because of this post. I did feel like I bored her, but I think that was mainly my insecurites. I know she did enjoy the variety of someone new.

12. Raluca,

I have been with you to the salsa scene in Bucharest and know a little bit about it from your perspective. Could it be that it has become too competitive and the good male dancers are more concerned about the competition issue than about having fun with another good dancer? Could it be that they all see you as competitor rather than good follower? You know also that many guys have that ego problem, especially when they are instructors, too, and fear that you might notice their flaws when dancing with them. That might be the reason why they do not ask you.

And, as others suggested, do not give them advice on the dancefloor when they do not ask you for it. They do not appreciate it and do certainly not consider it fun.

The competition issue is not typical for your scene, though, it is everywhere now.

I have enjoyed reading this thread and all the good advice from all of you others to Raluca.

13. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Oh. I understand now. That's sad. :(
    It's such a shame how ego and rivalry can spoil something that can be beautiful and fun... :( I wish there was a good solution for the problem -- all we individuals can do is to make sure we don't get sucked into it, I suppose.

That's where our Ten Commandments come in. Spread the words, DF salser@s!

14. Sagitta

Don't forget the 11th one!! :p

15. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Do you mean tango or chocolate dip :lol:

16. Sagitta

How about a compromise? Chocolate tango anyone?

http://w w w .globalgallery.com/enlarge/007-17932/

17. tj

tj New Member

Lol - sounds sticky.

18. danceguy

danceguy New Member

I think in honor of Sabor we need to invent a new Salsa move called the Chocolate Dip. Or is there one already? Since I don't do dips while dancing I'm not the best person to ask...anyone? :p

SG

19. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Yup... :)

Can you teach me that move, Sabor? I wanna show it to the local dancers so that they invite me more often! ;)

20. Sabor

Sabor New Member

since u are vanilla.. that'd be a natural fit 8)
    come see some egyptian magic then :wink: