Salsa > salsa: lady's styling

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by samina, Dec 18, 2006.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

one thing i've noticed where i currently go for salsa lessons & dancing -- it seems to be THE place in the area for training men to become excellent leaders, but after watching the female dancers coming out of there, i've realized that -- even tho they might be technically strong -- i don't like their styling at all.

it's generally not graceful, or falls into what i call "hootchie-mama" styling (trying to too hard to be sexy & consequently ending up looking trashy). or they focus more on rapid footwork & sacrifice beauty, so they just look awkward.

i don't have the intention of leaving this place right now -- it's practically mecca for jersey salseros, and the instructor is awesome -- but i want to start adding in other influences for lady's styling.

i picked up this youtube vid from another thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gckWZjRKVMo
    i really like nancy ortiz's styling -- it's sexy from the inside out, and her styling is more subtle, the way i like it, even while her dancing can be dramatic

can you all post other videos showing other lady's styling examples & recommendations? i would so appreciate your input...

2. alemana

alemana New Member

we've talked about her before - for me she is the best in the city. she does teach but not regularly.

the new york ladies' style is personified most by maria torres, who is teaching, but group classes only, not styling.

the two poles of the nyc ladies' style are probably represented by these two schools: Santo Rico and Karisma. the former is flashier and more street, and focused on spinning; the latter a little more elegant and more 'dance'-y, but still slammin. I prefer the latter and used to go up to Karisma (103rd and Broadway) to work with the women there, especially Jennifer on Saturdays.

www.karismadancers.com

Here is an old YouTube video of the actual performance a few years ago that caused me to leave the school where I was training and go take classes at Karisma. I was a begginer and I totally had a "i see my future" moment when I saw this show. Sadly Jennifer herself isn't dancing in this number...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20PaiwTguw8

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes, this is just what i want to see! thank you, alemana

this is definitely more my kinda stylin -- pretty, clean, tight, sexy but not HM. i can see why it impressed you so much. the dancers are very well-trained and are very much in unison, as well.

i will definitely check karisma out.

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

maybe the styling where i'm at is more santo rico? i'll research that one. the ladies are FABULOUS spinners, and that's something i've been wanting to work on in a series of privates with the main instructor.

also, i've noticed that once the women get aculturated to the group, they inevitably doff their heels & don lightweight leather flat lace-ups, like the men wear.

have you found this to be common with the ladies in certain circles? i'd never seen that before...

5. alemana

alemana New Member

yeah. there's definitely an ABT/City Ballet thing going on with Santo Rico and Karisma - the women in each company have a signature look and you are SOL if you don't have it, but their respective styles and flavors are totally distinctive.

6. alemana

alemana New Member

yes.. there are plenty of very serious women dancers the nyc scene who never wear heels. it's more and less accepted depending on where you train. i went to Empire to take some classes with frankie martinez and noticed i was the ONLY woman in the room with heels on.

sadly i can't dance in flats because of a foot problem... it would increase my shine speed/improve my style tremendously.

ideally you would be able to do both.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that's what i've been thinking. i may try it out to see how it feels for a bit.

8. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Yeah, that's funny on the lace-up flats thing for ladies. Definitely a thing for Frankie Martinez students. I personally like the feeling I get when dancing in a slight heel. I feel more elegant.... more sexy. Plus I'd imagine it's easier for spinning, as your heel is already off the ground, and you have arch support. With flats, there's no arch support in general, and I'd imagine it takes more effort to lift your heel as you spin. I have found though that when I'm practicing at home in flats, that it automatically adds a more street feel to my dancing, which I can also appreciate at times too. It depends alot on my mood.

Anyway, on the styling thing, I like to go to a wide range of places, and then take away those aspects or parts that appeal to me, mix them all together, and create my own style. I too don't like the HM look. I like a certain elegance. But that said, I found the Karisma video Alemana posted to be a bit unexciting for me. While they had very nice execution and form, I prefer a bit more "flava" or energy incorporated into the moves.

Joe Burgos' school, Piel Canela, often has guest teachers in for Ladies Styling Workshops. I'd recommend you try out a few of those different workshops, although I'm not sure if he has any scheduled right now for the near future.

9. alemana

alemana New Member

yeah the 'visiting teacher' /workshop s a good way to get a taste, without commitment, of someone's style and teaching ability. but to really *train,* it's awesome to have a regular place with a distinctive philosophy and vibe.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thanx, yip.

i like a lot of different dance styles, and would like to incorporate whatever i can of whatever i like from wherever, y'know? i like elegance styling, or somethin with more "flava", or with an african percussive style. i even really like incorporating a kind of middle-eastern styling because that comes from my own roots and is "me". so i'd like to see all sorts of qualities in lady's dancing -- i just need some direction. :)

do you have a vid that demonstrates a style of lady's dancing that you really connect with?

11. naturallove

naturallove New Member

I haven't seen their videos mind you...but I have always enjoyed classes with Griselle Ponce and Burju Hurtuk. Both videos are on my Xmas list. Burju in particular has great styling and body movement that I think is quite inspiring!

12. alemana

alemana New Member

OH! well if you are interested in sampling, then, samina, i echo the recommendation of the ladies' styling series at piel canela.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

piel canela... gotcha. will check out

14. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Hi Samina. I'm not sure if you were asking if I own a ladies styling that I could recommend to you? If so, I'd have to answer "no", as I do not own any videos.

If however, you wanted to see links, here are my favorite videos of a few women I admire. You'll see the women's styles are all a bit different, but I like them all for different reasons....

I know Magna and Samantha are in the NYC area and give privates, and I believe the same holds true for Griselle.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QDzCVGNs3VU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oxmbwuBO_VQ

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2q1RgoxIsk8

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thanks, yip -- yes, i was looking for youtube videos. i appreciate your sharing some.

i love the first one, of magna. luv-luv her style. a big YES.
    i've seen the samantha vid & enjoy her mellow styling.
    i definitely do not vibe with griselle's styling.

fyi, found that magna has a website with video clips (accessible to members): http://www.magnagopal.com/salsa/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=47&lang=

lovely

16. noobster

noobster Member

I used to have an awful time in heels but it turned out I just had a bad pair of shoes. I treated myself to a nice pair of Tankaas and now I'm equally comfortable in heels or jazz. I feel like different shoes lend themselves to different moves though. Fast footwork and heel-toes seem to work much better in jazz shoes. Tango legs seem to work a little better in heels for some reason.

Spinning is fine for me in either shoe. 3" heels are too high for me because I'm not comfortable lifting my foot that high to spin; but it turns out 2.5" are just about perfect, since I guess I lift my heel that much in flats anyway. The one thing about the jazz shoes is it's still possible for me to rescue a dying spin that accidentally goes back to the heel. In heels I just have to break the spin before its time, as I can't spin momentarily on the heel while I transfer weight back to the toe as I can in the jazz shoes. It's probably better training to wear the heels so as to break the habit though.

Heh. I definitely throw in random tsifteteli-type styling. I am sure people think it is bizarre. Can't incorporate much of the body motion though, because the hips go the other way (torso is over the straight leg for middle eastern but over the bent leg for salsa) and it seems too incongruent.

17. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Thanks ladies for sharing, nice clips.

(I just hate the pressure of the styling, especially the hands :( )

18. OneCentSalsero

OneCentSalsero New Member

are the Tankaas those hot heels you had on friday lol.

I know im a guy but I do notice the ladies styling, I like Karisma (but im bias since i go there), Desiree Dicupe ( I think shes doing workshops at PC) and I saw Candy Mena in action friday...wow hot stuff (dont know if she teaches)

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

and how do you know about tsiftetelli...? :)

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member