Salsa > Salsa Movements - elements from other dances?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by danceguy, Dec 23, 2003.

1. danceguy

danceguy New Member

I just got back from a night out Salsa dancing, and I made an interesting observation while watching some very advanced dancers on the floor. While I was observing their movements, I saw the leader pull the lady into a move that was almost exactly like a Lindy Swing Out. It was quite interesting as I am just getting more serious with Salsa and primarily a Swing/Ballroom dancer, but the way he pulled her towards him and then moved with her...it was really a trip!

Anyone else notice things like this when they are out Salsa dancing? I imagine all dances must influence each other on some level. :)

Best,

SG

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Me too. I'm back from a night of dancing, and I also notice elements of other dances in salsa. However, while the moves are similar a good dancer will make the same move done, in for example, swing, a salsa move. A good example is the indepth discussion of pretzels. Here there is discussion of what the pretzel is in salsa and what it is in EC swing.

3. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Yeah guys the more comfortable we become with our salsa foundation the more we start to incorporate elements of other dances we do. If you were to watch me dance you'd see a lot of freestyle hip-hop elements that have been 'salsized' :lol: It's the way I danced long before salsa so it's only natural the two would blend.

4. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I wanna see youngsta dance!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :D

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

So are you coming out to Reno? You'll have a chance to see him there!

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Certainly, and not just in Salsa, but in other dances too there is a lot of interchange of moves from one dance to another. If it is compatible with the timing and framework of the dance then hey, how can it be wrong? :D

scorpionguy, the lindy-like move you mention; is this the one where the man brings the lady in and then out on three measures? I use this one.

7. Soñador

Soñador New Member

I was always wondering if it was possible/good to put some merengue moves in salsa??? I saw some people doing that last night I went dancing, the result wasn't that bad at all... What do you think??

8. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

:cry: I must say that I can't make it to Reno. My piggy bank has been on a diet for quite some time. Perhaps I can make it to the 2nd. :D

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Sorry to hear that Boriken. :( It would have been great to meet you in person! :banana:

10. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Don't expect a hip-hop show! :lol: Just some elements...especially when doing shines! :D

11. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    The way I picture you dance is the way I dance, especially to shines.

12. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Same here SD, same here. :cry:

I can only hope now that my boss will see fit a 100% salary increase. :D

13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I actually quite often will practice a salsa move that I am learning when doing merengue, or use it to work on elements that I feel uncomfortable with. It is a question of doing the moves to the music which give the same moves a different feel in merengue/salsa/any dance.

14. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

The baisc side to side, one two, one two of merengue looks rather nice when put into salsa. I enjoy doing it... I either hit only the 4's and 8's or the 1's and 5's, with the booty swing thing going. Correction, correction...

I was just grooving and noticed that I tend to do it a lot more to the 2,4,6,8 than I do to the 4,8 which I do to the fasttttttttttt tunes.

15. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Looks great in Bachata too :wink: