Salsa > Salsa Music Discoveries

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by peachexploration, May 10, 2004.

1. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

I'm doing self-imposed research on the music of Salsa. Oh my, I can't believe the stuff that I'm finding. This is awesome:

A 1965 Version of "Cacheondea" by Joe Cuba and Cheo Feliciano. (Popular now by Fruko Y Sus Tesos)
    A nice version of "Hasta Que Te Conoci by Willie Colon. (Popular now by Marc Anthony)

Ahhh, the discovery of Salsa Music. Have you made any discoveries in Salsa music lately?

2. salsaForfun

salsaForfun New Member

Que bueno baila usted by Benny More (now Osacr del Leon)
    Merecumbe by Johhny Colon (now Los Titanes)
    Las Tres Lindas Cubanas by Fania All Stars (now Lindas Africanas by Africando)

3. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

El Negro Bembon by Ismael Rivera (popular by Son Boricua)

4. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

Apparently anything with the phrase que se sepa by Roberto Roena- and I say this because on Amazon he has 2 songs by that name, both very different but both very good.

5. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

:D Peach, the more you read, the more you'll find out that Marc Anthony probably hasn't sang anything that is his. A lot of his goodies are from Willie Colon. Perciosa the song he made a huge success in everyone eyes, was already a huge sucess and isn't his either. It is Rafael Herandez's.... Puerto Ricos most famous composer ever, he was ver huge in the early 30s, and was the first latino to ever throw a latin music concert in NY City. He and his sister also had US first Latin Record company and Record store, located in NY City as well. If I remember correctly in 1928.

Anytime you see a D.R. as a composer for a song it means, Derechos Reservados (Reserved Rights), which means that song is of Cuban origin prior to the Embargo, or that the original composer wasn't to be given credit. You can safely assume prior to embargo is the case for about 98% of the D.R songs.

Since, musicians couldn't use them because of the embargo, more so couldn't give credit to the original artists they had to disguiste it best they could. So D.R was born.

A lot of old school salsa songs were frist son, son montunos, guaguancos, guajiras, etc.

The history of salsa is facinating :!:

6. fishface

fishface New Member

I heard an old celia cruz version of this.

Also Acuyuye and Juliana by Johnny Pachecho massive hits for DLG (In south America at least, I hear them in the UK occasionally)

7. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Welcome fishface! Welcome aboard and happy to see you joining in the fun :banana:

8. peachexploration

Welcome to the DF Fishface! :D

9. fishface

fishface New Member

hi guys,

thanks for the warm welcome. I discovered this site a few weeks back and have a lurk from time to time, but thought I'd join in now!

10. peachexploration

Yeah, on Marc Anthony, there was some discussion regarding his last album about a few songs that did not get on the release. He wanted to add his name as a co-writer to some of the songs because of the improvinsational work he did on them. A few composers were adamant about not allowing him to do that so he couldn't use the music. I understand Marc but I can't blame the original composers either for not wanting to do that. Since there is a history of composers not getting credit for their work, I'd probably feel the same way.

"Preciosa" is one of those songs that is absolutely beautiful no matter who sings it. Truly a treasure! :D

11. peachexploration

We were talking Angel Canales in another thread a while ago and I thought he was worth mentioning here. If your interested or never heard of him before, take a listen to Angel Canales Y Su Salsa CD (and others) at amazon.com. :D

12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Re: hi guys,

Welcome to the ranks of active posters fishface! :cheers:

13. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Sonora Caruseles repertoire is to an almost totality remakes of Cuban tunes.

14. peachexploration

Wow. Cheo Feliciano has one of the richest voices I heard. His "Un Solo Beso" CD is beautiful. It's a bolero CD but quite beautiful. I also saw listened to Serie Batalla: Cheo Feliciano Vs. Domingo Quinones. Interesting combination. Two very different voices. I love Cheo's "Cuanta Cosas" for rueda. "Anacaona" is one of my favorites as well. Larry Harlow does a very nice piano on this classic. Hard to belive the song was done in 1976. :)

15. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Anacaona was written by Tite Curet, arguably salsa bestest composer. My favorite as well. Anyhow, Anacaona was salsa first mega hit. See if you can get a hold of El Raton, beautiful song as well by Cheo.

16. peachexploration

First, let me say "El Raton" IS beautiful. I really like it. But, when I translated the lyrics, I got:

My cat is complaining
    because he can't play
    Where ever he gets into, his cat (female) goes to get him
    at night he jumps the fence that's behind my house
    to see if he can escape, without her seeing him
    and no sooner, no sooner his partying
    Silvestre feline has to start running
    This is serious my friend
    Listen to this mess, what a mess is about to form
    When my kitten finds out and is very simple the reason
    that he who tells his cat (female) everything (repeats twice)
    Is nothing but a mouse, a mouse.......

:shock:
    Uhhh so, I'm thinking, something is terribly wrong with my spanish translator. :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyway, I looked further and it's talking about a man and a woman and the trials of marriage/relationships. From Cheo Interview : It happened with the group of Joe Cuba, the six guys, we were all married, I was the last one to get married, as I told you when I began with Joe Cuba. The rest of the guys were all married, but we used to go on gigs, travel, on our own, and the wives got together and that's when the gossip started. "Ey, el marido tuyo, he's going out with this chick, and this guy's messing up, you gotta watch out." That's how I got the notion for this tune.
    Funny....but I GET IT now. :lol: :lol: Really is a beautiful song. Thanks, Boriken. Gosh, I'm gonna have to take out a loan soon for all this music. :D Note to self: Enroll in the next available spanish class! :D

17. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

lol.. Wepa, as long as you are taking that load out, I'll help you spend it.

Yeap you hit it right in the head. The song is about a guy who cheats on his wife and he has to hide... eventually a rat (el raton) tells his wife what is going on, hence, "de cualquier maya sale un raton", the meaning translated to "a rat can come out from any fishing net"

That was a great job figuring out that song peach. :notworth:

18. peachexploration

:lol: :lol:

Enjoyed the excitement of figuring that one out. :)

19. peachexploration

I heard this slick mambo groove, "Fuego a La Jicotea", while watching video clips one day and flipped. :bouncy: Take a listen to Oro Salsero - Marvin Santiago (which includes this song) Very good music and an amazing voice. I like all the songs on this one. Some favorites are "La Campana Del Lechon" and "La Pela" :D

20. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Marvin has an icredible voice, he actually sang for Bobby Valentin until he was asked to leave the band because his drug problem bagan to reflect on the band, so bye bye he went. Ever since he has done minor work, primarily for Puerto Rican All Stars who I think recorded 4 albums.

A couple of his songs that stand out are, the one peach just mentioned, Fuego A La Jicotea, El Mangoneo, Vasos en Colores, God, I just went blank :(