Salsa > Salsa Music Discoveries

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by peachexploration, May 10, 2004.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I'll be in London in a few days and I'm going to peruse the giant music stores for some new CDs to add to my collection! I want to pick up a couple more CDs by Khaled. This guy's great! It's rai, and it makes you want to dance!!!!

2. looyenyeo

looyenyeo New Member

Salsa Rai

As usual, I'm a little late to the party. You can also find "Salsa Rai" in Yuri Buenaventura's "Yo Soy" album. His latest, "Vagabundo" features hybrids of Argentine Tango and the voice of Cheo Feliciano.

Loo

3. Sabor

Sabor New Member

Apologies Sagitta .. i got mixed up about the Rai singer in this song.. Faudel it is.. it just that these guys sing together alot and i got confused.. Peach nailed it tho'.. however, in my taste its not a typical rueda song at all.. more suited for couples that prioritize smoothness.. i dont know but some songs just give me the 'flow like water feel' and this one is typical for that to my senses..

4. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Latin music label Libertad Records is set to release the Spanish Harlem Orchestra’s new CD, “Across 110th Street.” The second CD released by the world renowned Latin dance band features salsa legend Ruben Blades.

Founded by Aaron Luis Levinson in 2000, and directed by Oscar Hernandez, the 13-member Spanish Harlem Orchestra preserves classic Latin dance music while writing and arranging new originals. Its first CD, released in 2002, garnered the best New Artist Award at the 2003 Billboard Latin Music Awards and was nominated for a Grammy in 2003 for Best Salsa Album
    Of The Year.

“Across 110th Street” features four performances by Ruben Blades as well as classic renditions of salsa songs by newcomers Willie Torres and Marco Bermudez. The CD also highlights the vocal styling of original Spanish Harlem Orchestra member and salsa pioneer Ray De La Paz, trombonist Jimmy Bosch and bassman Ruben Rodriguez.

I can hardly wait for this CD to be release, sound like a winner. The first, Un Gran Dia En El Barrio, is still Hot! :D :banana:

5. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

It's out peach, descarga.com has it. Hopefully I can get next weekend from a local shop. :D :D

6. Wazymollo

Wazymollo New Member

It is indeed a very innovative salsa style: mix of salsa and raï !
    As mentioned, Yuri Buenaventura and Faudel (not Khaled, the one thats sings Aisha) are in this song, from Yuri's "Yo Soy" album.

7. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Hi Wazymollo! Welcome to the DF! Even though you've been here since April. :wink: :D

8. salsalawyer

salsalawyer New Member

whatta matta "feelings' and "lady" by La Palabra got you depressed? :p

"I will survive" is a nice salsa song! lol!

9. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

I think remakes are amusing......! I love it when people go :shock: (non-salseros especially) when they first heard it.

There are good remakes and bad remakes, of course. The good ones are priceless.

:bouncy: "Lady" & "I will survive" amongst some of the best :bouncy: !

Can you think of any others....? I might have missed some.

10. mhgroove

mhgroove New Member

Sagitta, I have both of these! They are wonderful! Actually, I have the Putumayo Presents Cuba on Cassette and Latino! Latino! on CD!! I will probably be one of the last men on earth still making & listening to cassettes.

Also, I love listening to Poncho Sanchez. (Afro-Cuban Fantasy, Conga Blue, & Chile Con Soul)

Tito Puente's Dance Mania Volume 1 is still the best Salsa/Mambo CD I've heard so far.

There is an excellent compliation by EMI/Hemisphere Records titled Salsa, Merengue, Mambo. Some of the artists are Ensamble Latino, Isaac Delgado, Maria Rivas, & Ednita Nazario. It's definitely worth listening to.

I'm also listening to Ruben Blades's Tiempos & Mundo. He does an excellent remake with Editus of Pat Metheny Group's "First Circle". Pat Metheny Group is my favorite band!

11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I bought Mundo last year. Pretty good. I love Pat Metheny's music as well! :D

12. k-eil

k-eil New Member

So sorry to butt in you conversation like this. I was actually doing a search on Faudel and somehow stumbled on this thread :oops:

The song "Salsa-Rai" is indeed by Faudel and not Khaled. Khaled is a much older singer. Faudel is pretty young, around 26 if I'm not mistaken. Both are of Algerian descent but Faudel was born and raised in France. They both sing Rai and they did perform together so I see how that may have been confusing!

You can find the song in Faudel's album "Samra" (dark skinned/morena)

I thought you may be interested in what Faudel says in the song so I translated it that part. It's basically the same thing that is being sung in spanish:

I hope that helped.
    Again, sorry for butting in like this :oops:

13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Not at all k-eil. After all the last post talks about music by Pat Methany, and that is as far away from salsa as you can imagine. At least teh muisc you are talking about is Spanish!! Anyway our topics at df tend to meander a little. It's all good. :) Hope that you will continue participating in our discussions over here, now that you have stumbled on us. Oh, yes!! WElcome to df! :D

14. mhgroove

mhgroove New Member

Hold On Sagitta,

The only reason I mentioned Pat Metheny was because of Ruben Blades who did an excellent remake of "First Circle" on his Mundo CD. I usually try to stay on topic..but one connection leads to another. Ha! Ha! Ha!

15. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Okay. I think that Juan Luis guerra has done some nice bachatas and merengues. I'm looking for aparticular song that I like, called "El Niagara en Bicicleta". If anyone can find out which CD this is from please let me know.

16. looyenyeo

looyenyeo New Member

El Niagara en Bicicleta

It's on his 1998 album "Ni Es Lo Mismo Ni Es Igual".

Loo

17. squirrel

squirrel New Member

gosh... I just do not like remakes! Especially those which are not in Spanish! I don't even like original Salsa which is not in Spanish... call me picky...

18. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Has anyone ever told you you were picky 8)

19. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

You picky you! :wink:

I like a lot of Africando's non-spanish songs... Does anyone have any translation of their songs? I'd love to know what songs like "Sey", "Miye Na We" and "Lote Lo" are actually saying. I don't even know what languages they are sung in...

20. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Considering they are Senegalese, my money would be on Wolof

my personal favorit still is "N'Toman" found on their "MANDALI" album