Salsa > Salsa Music Discoveries

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by peachexploration, May 10, 2004.

1. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

As far as I know, Wolof is only one of the languages used in their songs, as not all their guest singers are Selegalese. I've heard that 8 different languages :shock: (including Spanish) feature in their latest album, Martina. "NToman" is a favourite of many of our DJs (I don't think there is a salsa night around here where it doen't get played) and rightly so. 8)

2. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:oops: :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :twisted: :twisted:

3. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

I know what you mean, Squirrel although there are a few english/other language versions of Salsa that appeal to me. But I still know what you mean. :wink: :D I'll join you in the picky club. :D

4. peachexploration

Hector Lavoe's Aléjate woke me up today, literally! There is so much drama in this song. I flipped once again. :bouncy: The voice, the strings, the piano, the bass line, the drum line, the horns, the repeated "Yo te quiero mas...." oh my Goodness!

Lyrics
    Aléjate de mi no quiero verte
    tu amor es una farsa que lastima
    contigo yo he tenido mala suerte
    en mi corazón duele como espina.

Te hallé como se encuentra una moneda
    rodando por las calles de la vida
    sufrí yo, me engañó; pero me quedan
    el amargo sabor de tus mentiras.

No me importa que me trates con desprecio
    ni me importa de la forma en que me miras
    si amores como tú no tienen precio
    se encuentran al doblar de cada esquina,
    amores como tú no tienen precio
    se encuentran al doblar de cada esquina.

Aléjate de mi no te quiero más..

English

Get Lost

Get Lost, I dont want to see you
    Your love is a fake thing that hurts
    With you I have had just bad luck
    In my heart that hurts like a sharp pain

I found you like one finds a coin
    Rolling around in the streets of life
    I suffered, You decieved me; and left me
    with the bitter taste of your lies.

It doesn't matter that you treat me spitefully
    And it doesn't matter the way you look at me
    cause lovers like you are worthless
    You find them around the bend in every corner,
    lovers like you are worthless
    You find them around the bend in every corner,

Get away from me, I dont love you anymore...

8) 8)

5. Vin

Vin New Member

I had the song "Che Che Cole" in my collection and never realized how great of a song it was until recently.

I just bought Mandali a few weeks ago, it is an awesome cd.

6. peachexploration

From Antibalas.com

The Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra featuring Mayra Vega mp3s, there are some pretty funky remixes of this song. Pretty cool. 8) :D

7. peachexploration

I am currently listening to:

Lo Baila y Lo Gozo
    Buscandote
    A Pesar
    Guayaba

All by Latin Brothers

I really like the groove of this group. I was going to put some of their background in this post but their website is down. Anyone who has info, please post. :D

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Latin Brothers -- Columbian group.

9. peachexploration

Talk about a gem of a compilation CD. It's bound to get you on your feet at first listen. :banana:

Lost Classics of Salsa 1
    Various Artists
    1. Palos De Fuego - Candido y su Moviemiento
    2. Oyarde - Louie Colon y su Combo
    3. My Ghetto - Kent Gomez & his Orquesta
    4. Tumbaron La Veintiuna - Orquesta de Cuchon
    5. El Vago - Danny Gonzalez y su Orquesta Sensacional
    6. No Puedes Amar - Los Hermanos Rivera y su Orquesta
    7. El Beso Que Me Diste Tu - Orquesta Ritmo Swing
    8. Sufriendo - Orquesta La Solucion
    9. Tres Pata - La Ritmo Tropical
    10. Los Muchachos de Belen - Orquesta Olivieri

Clips located at Amazon.com :)

10. peachexploration

Another gem:
    Descargas by Cachao. You'll remember the first clip from the movie, Dance with Me. Too bad alot of the good stuff wasn't included on the original soundtrak. :( Anyways, I love this CD. It's on my long wish list.

1. Descarga Cubana
    2. Goza Mi Trompeta
    3. Cogele el Golpe
    4. Trombon Criollo (Trombone on this one is killer!) :)
    5. Malanga Amarilla
    6. Pamparana
    7. Oye Mi Tres Montuno
    8. Controversia de Metales
    9. Gozar Timbero
    10. Sarpresa en Flauta
    11. Estudio en Trompeta
    12. Guajeo de Saxos

Clips at Amazon.com
    :)

11. Danoo

Danoo New Member

i was just listning to my music and

D12 - How Come has a salsa beat O_O

for those that dont know d12

its Eminem and his crew lol

12. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Wepa Peach!! I see you are deep into the grooving kind of feeling stuff!!! Sweet very sweet!!!

I love this CD!!!!!

13. peachexploration

Yeah, Boriken. Talk about love at first listen. :banana: I love every song on this CD. :)

14. peachexploration

Okay, this CD woke me up today: Cachaito by Cachaito Lopez
    I have to buy this TODAY!

From Amazon.com
    Editorial Reviews
    Amazon.com's Best of 2001
    Buena Vista Social Club bassist Orlando Cachaito Lopez busts out of the senior activity center with an out-there release worthy of a youngster that draws on five decades of professional cool. Instead of trying to compress the history of Cuban dance music, Cachaito elongates it into a shape-shifting amoeba that can swallow and absorb almost any influence. On "Redencion," reggae-inflected electric organ jabs throw open the door to dub effects. Massed charanga violins stutter and echo as the bottom drops in and out of the mix. The project gets a jolt from figures not usually associated with Cuban music, like Jamaican organist Bigga Morrison, French DJ Dee Nasty, South African flugelhornist Hugh Masekela, and saxophonist Pee Wee Ellis of James Brown Revue fame. But it's the Cubans who provide the disc's most unexpected performances. The pizzicato strings on "Oracion Lucumi" fall like snow in a glass globe shaken hard by a gritty tres solo. Groove-heavy "A Gozar el Tombao" spills in on Manuel Galban's reverb-laden surf guitar. Ibrahim Ferrer comes out of nowhere with a short ascending cameo vocal on "Wahira," the sole noninstrumental track onboard. Cachaito is the only artist to have played on every track of every Buena Vista Social Club release. In lightning-rod fashion, he's accumulated so much energy from those sessions, it flashes all over this gorgeous, mixed-up masterpiece. --Bob Tarte

Songs like Redencion & Mis Dos Pequenas really spoke and lifted my spirt from the floor. I'm in love with this CD already!!! :D

15. peachexploration

WEPA!!! Went music shopping again! Surprised? :lol: :lol:
    For GREAT stocking stuffers this Christmas, consider these compilation CDs. Awesome music here:

Ay Que Ryko Latino!
    Rykodisc label's roster of Latin-music acts who mix modern salsa with firm groundings in tradition. Artists present include Cubanismo, Plena Libre, Jose Alberto, Jimmy Bosch, and Truco; it's a great introduction to an exciting assortment of musicians. The Artwork threw me off on the CD. I was thinking it was again another rip-off CD with unknown artists but to my surprise, it's a nice CD. Love it. Get's you dancing right away. :banana:

1 El Cuatro de Tula By Truco &Zaperoko
    2 El Paso de Encarnacion by Cubanismo
    3 Orta Oportunidad by Jimmy Bosch
    4 Vete Y Pregona by Jose El Canario Alberto
    5 Manana Por La Mariana by Plena Libre
    6 La Cacharra (The Jalopy) by Jimmy Bosch
    7 En Las Delicias by Cubanismo
    8 Carnaval by Plena Libre
    9 Enamorado de mi Pais by Jose el canario Alberto
    10 Somos la Fuerza Latina by Various Artists from Roberto Clemente Un Tributo CD

The other one is Cuba, The Greatest Songs Ever. If you like Cuban Salsa, you love this. Mambo Yo Yo is my favorite. Ironically, the artwork on this one is what attracted me to it. :banana:

CD Listing
    1. Guantanamera - Cuba L.A.
    2. Mambo Yo Yo - Makina Loca
    3. Tumbao Pa'Changuito - Maraca
    4. Pedacito de Mi Vida
    5. Nadie Se Salva de la Rumba - Naranjos
    6. Sonaron los Cañonazos - Laito
    7. Tanga - Machito
    8. Bilongo - Tito Gomez
    9. Mi Salsa Tiene Sandunga
    10. Lágrimas Negras
    11. Mi Quinto - Los Papines
    12. Manisero - Septeto Nacional de Ignacio Piñeiro
    13. Me Conoces Bien

:D :D
    TA TA
    TA TA TA
    TA TA
    TA TA TA
    8)

16. ElSereno

ElSereno New Member

Ricardo Lemvo and Makina Loca played locally a couple of weeks ago and they were HOT! Especially in a small club. Ironically for a "Cuba Greatest Songs Ever" album, Lemvo is from Congo, but has lived in LA since he was a teenager. But the 2 percussionists in his 9-piece band are Cubans :)

It is rare for a salsa evening to take place around here without Mambo Yo Yo being played...

17. peachexploration

:D :D

:eek: There's an added bonus to the Cuba CD. Drink recipes for Mojitos, Cuba Libre, Banana Daiquiri and Platanos En Tentacion. :p

18. alvaro

alvaro New Member

great thread!

peach make sure you try los plátanos en tentación (if you haven't yet)

19. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I like Mambo Yo Yo too! :D Some good tracks on this CD -- thanks Peach!

I nearly went to their concert...! The people who did go says they were great.

20. Did you all know that Marvin died on October 6? I was in Puerto Rico then and you heard nothing else on the radio for at least 4 days. They played all his songs 24 hours a day.

Bobby Valentin and Pedro Brul (La Mulenze) got a bunch of people together for a spontaneous concert "Homenaje a Marvin" in Bayamón in front of the building where his coffin was until the funeral the next day (Escuela de Bellas Artes). We heard it on the radio and went and it was a great concert with Pedro Brul, Pichie Perez (La Sonora Ponceña), Luigi Texidor, Luisito Carrión, Charlie Aponte and Papo Rosario (El Gran Combo) and of course Bobby Valentín and his orquestra.

I heard Ricardo Lemvo live in LA at a business conference dance in 2001. Great concert, I really loved his music. And I am really picky, even more picky than Squirrel, I think :)

Oooh, and he played nice guajiras. I love to dance cha-cha-cha.