Salsa > Salsa: partnered versus solo

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by d nice, Sep 19, 2003.

1. d nice

d nice New Member

So I have had a rather limited exposure to salsa.

I was working as a swing instructor at Mr. E's in Berkeley and worked as a "doorman" (classy way of saying well dressed bouncer) in the late ninties. I eventually was conned by Zina Escovedo to accept her father's invitation to start coming to see him play with his Latin Jazz/Salsa band on the other nights. I had taught Zina how to lindy hop and she insisted on showing me mambo and cha-cha.

Well I loved the music. I mean LOVED the music. Pop's and his sons and the various luminaries that streamed through the club on a regular basis to jam were just amazing.

I loved the vitality of the dance, but didn't really stick with it long. I moved not to long after to Boston and never really developed the love for canned salsa music I heard everywhere else.

Since moving back to the West Coast I've been out to a local salsa club a few times. While I love watching a few of the Salsa dancers there I don't really get into the music or dancing as much.

Until last night. I had a great dance, the most fun I've ever had dancing salsa with a DJ. I realized that previousely I had always tried to keep the basic footwork going and do moves... this time I just stayed within the rhythm and did maybe half the dance... if not more without touching. The music just seemed to flow through me so much better. I understand that the partnered dancing is an important part of the dance but it just seems to get in the way of me actually dancing right now.

I'm definitely going to have to work on the lead follow aspect of the dance more. Right now though, I'm just glad to be able to connect with the music.

2. salsarhythms

salsarhythms New Member

First off, I think it's great that you have come to appreciate the
    music so much.

In music and dance, I think it's very important that YOU connect
    with the music first before trying to lead/follow...

I mean honestly, how can you get someone else to connect
    if you haven't done so already.

I don't see anything wrong with that, in fact, I think it's a good
    thing to do...

So dance on...solo or not :D

3. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Connect with the music baby!!!!!

It is all about connection, once you connect with the music, the lead will flow right out of it. After all by connecting to the music you are connecting to the real leader out there.

Welcome to wonderful world of salsa addiction

4. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I know plenty of people that do 50/50 partner/shines when dancing salsa. I see no problem with it at all, enjoy the vibe!!