Salsa > Salsa song with Rumba intro?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Twilight_Elena, May 26, 2005.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I know it's a longshot, but there's this salsa song I've been looking for that starts out as a rumba and then goes into this great salsa. Unfortunately, I know nothing about this song (artist or title) so I'm relying on DFers' vast knowledge on salsa music. Anyone know anything about it?

Twilight Elena

2. jhb

jhb New Member

There are dozens!

One off the top of my head is "Nadie Se Salva De La Rumba" with Celia Cruz singing.

3. Twilight_Elena

I don't think it's Celia, her voice is easily recognisable. It sounds more like a male band/singer, perhaps something from Grupo Niche. Again, I can't know.
    It's a very clear, classic Rumba intro. It can totally fool you into thinking this is a rumba and not a salsa.

Twilight Elena

4. aragonh

aragonh New Member

The song your thinking of is

Cachao - Ave Maria Morena

5. aragonh

aragonh New Member

The song is also called Lindo Yambu. Its found on his Master Session, Vol 1 CD

6. jhb

jhb New Member

That's another great song that fits the bill...

7. looyenyeo

looyenyeo New Member

Rumba intro salsa

A recent-ish one might be "Guaguanco con rumba" from the album "P'al Bailador" by Johnny Polanco y su Conjunto Amistad.

Loo

8. Twilight_Elena

The rumba intro is long, it's several metres into the song and it fools me every time. It sounds like "A Puro Dolor" - Son By Four (ballad/rumba version), in the way that it's a pretty standard sounding rumba. And then It does a small pause and hits into the salsa.
    Drat. I hate how I can't sing it to you folks! :roll: Meanwhile I'm checking the songs you suggested to see if they're the one, thanks.

Twilight Elena

9. squirrel

squirrel New Member

A Puro Dolor ... Salsa???

10. Twilight_Elena

Checked Lindo Yambu. Not at all what I had in mind, unfortunately. The intro was some sort of percussion mix, not at all a rumba.
    Oh. Forgot to mention I'm talking about ballroom rumba but not a european pop style. More like "Alejate" by Josh Groban or "A Puro Dolor"(ballad version) which I mentioned before. Am I helping the identification any?
    Oh, and in the salsa piece, there are trumpets. :roll: Very common of course, I know, but I hope it helps. Not every salsa song has trumpets.

Twilight Elena

11. Twilight_Elena

:lol: squirrel, I have the salsa version as well and it's not that one. It's an alll clear rumba beginning and then it hits on to the salsa just like THAT.

Twilight Elena

12. squirrel

squirrel New Member

There is a version people dance to here... Salsa can be danced to it, but the music is not Salsa by all means! :)

13. jhb

jhb New Member

I think we are misunderstanding you when you say "rumba". The percussive intro to Lindo Yambu is rumba. When you say "rumba" to a group of salseros, most of them are probably much more likely to think of actual rumba (the percussion-heavy, very African-sounding Cuban rumba). That's the rumba that's always talked about in the Salsa songs you hear at any rate ;)

14. Twilight_Elena

No no no, I'm not talking about that rumba! :? I said this above, I'm talking about ballroom rumba, the good old slow-quick quick ballroom style. It starts out just like "Besa me" or "La historia de un amor", good old classic ballroom rumba.

Twilight Elena

15. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

She is right! It is ballroom rumba! Elena and I were together when we first heard this song. The intro is quite long I think that it must be about one minute. Then there is a small pause 1-2 seconds and the salsa starts right away. The voice of the main male singer reminds me a lot of the voice of the male singer of Groupo Niche. When they do the phonetics their voices are almost the same. I do not know what else to say but I hope that I have helped you! :?
    Next time I see the particular TJ I will ask him if he remembers the song. However, I am not that hopeful! :(

Anyway, thanks to everybody that tried to help us find this song :D :D
    You are all amazing guys :friend:

16. Twilight_Elena

Yup, me and Sobrero are taking lesson together and we were both blown away by this song. It does remind me of Grupo Niche, but I haven't found it so far.
    Any luck?

Twilight Elena

17. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

There are so many songs that fit the rumba (or bolero) intro, then salsa description ... :?

18. vey

vey New Member

Oh, that's exactly why I got "lured" into this thread :D
    Ok, I'm out of here :wink:

19. Twilight_Elena

I know, I know, it's hopeless. Guess I'll have to ask my teachers.

Twilight Elena

20. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

And the other thing I think you're bumping into here is the definition of rumba -- Cuban (defined by a specific rhythm pattern) versus ballroom (defined by a tempo and feel.) So when you say rumba, some salsa purists are probably thinking about a much narrower range of songs than you intend. Just a thought. 8)